VeggieBoards banner

Aquafaba Curiosity

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mars haven 
#1 ·
I eat a lot of chickpeas, but was under the impression that rinsing them was a good idea to rid of the extra sodium and such.

I can't seem to get past that thought in my brain to let me think that it's okay to save the liquid, call it aquafaba, and make stuff from it.

Then I begin to wonder if the liquid from cooking them yourself with just a little water would function in the same way as what you drain from the can.

Things that make me go hmmmmm........

Any active aquafaba users in the house who can help sort my brain with this?

#2 ·
I have made and used aquafaba a LOT!! You can use the liquid in canned chickpeas, but if I'm going to do that, I buy organic ones with cans that are EPA free. Homemade is far better though; you need to use a specific ratio of peas to water, and add some kombu for thickening, then just cook them in a slow cooker for 8-9 hrs. The resulting cooked peas are delicious; so much more tender and flavourful than canned.

You can use aquafaba for all kinds of AMAZING things; one of my favourite uses is as an egg replacer in French Toast - MMMMM!! ^_^

You can even whip it like egg whites to make all kinds of baked goods and even meringue. I sometimes use it as an egg replacer for making delicate things like cupcakes - flax works too but aquafaba makes things so much more tender ^_^

#4 ·
Zsu Dever just wrote a vegan cookbook called Aquafaba. I am going to try to make the meringue cookies from it this weekend and will try to post a photo here. I'm completely fascinated by the idea of making stuff from bean water.

Here is a Pinterest board with a few pictures from the book. There are a lot more photos in the book, but this is all I could find online.
https://www.pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/aquafaba-vegan/

#6 ·
I made the meringue cookies from the Aquafaba cookbook! I used the canned bean water rather than homemade, and the cookies did have a little bit of a bean smell, but that's okay with me.

Attachments

#13 ·
I eat a lot of chickpeas, but was under the impression that rinsing them was a good idea to rid of the extra sodium and such.

I can't seem to get past that thought in my brain to let me think that it's okay to save the liquid, call it aquafaba, and make stuff from it.

Then I begin to wonder if the liquid from cooking them yourself with just a little water would function in the same way as what you drain from the can.

Things that make me go hmmmmm........

Any active aquafaba users in the house who can help sort my brain with this?
You can also use white beans instead. Some people find the chick peas may have a strong flavor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.