40 dollars..... [grocery shopping for two people] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2004, 08:55 PM

thats what i have to spend on groceries this week for 2 people. can any of you suggest a sample list of what i should get? ill eat pretty much anything, except non veggie food. i was hoping i could get some new ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2004, 09:45 PM

Beans are a poor shopper's best friend. The cheapest source of protein, fiber, vitamins...they are the greatest.

Make a big pot of chili with dried or canned beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, maybe some bell pepper. You could add TVP if you like. All of that is very cheap if you have the spices on hand. Serve with brown rice, also cheap.

Dried lentils are totally cheap. Make a pot of lentil soup with green/brown lentils, onions, celery, carrots, a bay leaf or two if you have them, and some veggie stock or a veggie boullion cube. Lots of black pepper and some salt.

Potatoes are incredibly cheap. Have baked potatoes with baked beans or refried beans and salsa.

Do a chickpea-tomato sauce for pasta. Pasta is nice and cheap, and the bean sauce is more nutrient-rich than marinara. PM me if you'd like my recipe for the sauce. Peanut butter pasta is yummy, too--I'm sure someone here has a recipe.

Pasta e fagioli is cheap and deelish--saute a couple onions and some garlic, add some broth or water and a couple cans of tomatoes, a couple teaspoons of oregano and basil, cook it down, add three cans of various beans, simmer until they're soft, and mix with a pound of cooked pasta. You'll be eating it for a week.

Try to get some fruit in there too! Of course bananas are the cheapest. Bananas and PB would make a cheap snack.
#3 Old 10-07-2004, 10:11 PM

tvp is really cheap and you can make taco out of it,chili,sloppy joes,shepard's pie oh and potatoes,pasta is cheap also hunts makes canned spagetti sauce that is 78 cents a can here,peanut butter,forzen veggies like an oriental veggie mix and tofu can be made it a stirfry,ceral, soymilk,breadcrumb for breaded tofu ,rice is very cheap,top ramen is cheap and the oriental style is vegan thats all I can think of.
#4 Old 10-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Administrator

If it were me I'd get cereal for breakfast, PB&J for lunch, and pasta for dinner.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#5 Old 10-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Joe

Agree with all of the above.

Cincinnati chili is chili on top of noodles (like spaghetti or whatever pasta of your choice). I like it, and it can be cheap and filling.
#6 Old 10-07-2004, 11:03 PM

Also: if you need spices, go to the HFS and get just a little bit in bulk. They will only cost you a few cents that way.

That reminds me, joe--one time I made a casserole out of leftover chili, leftover pasta, and homemade vegan cheese sauce. It was yummy!
#7 Old 10-08-2004, 05:36 AM

if you want cereal, get the big bags of it, it is cheaper that way or get cream of wheat or some oatmeal

get some frozen veggies and make stir fry with some tofu and angel hair pasta

make some tvp "meat" sauce with the cheap cans of tomato sauce,

add some herbs and there you go... put over pasta

black bean burgers, cheap and filling

get the reduced price bread

pb and jellies are cheap

make some hummus with pb and chickpeas and serve with cheap crackers, carrots

make some carrot muffins, I love this recipe and eat for breakfast or a snack

http://vegweb.com/food/bread/5951.shtml

also, you can get cheap spices at Wal*mart and Dollar Stores, 2 for 1.00

avoid prepared vegan/veg foods, they are costly

get whatever fruit that is on sale, apples are cheap now
#8 Old 10-08-2004, 11:30 PM

Don't forget brown rice..versatile, nutritious and cheap.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 10-09-2004, 09:30 PM

Frozen veggies, fresh fruits in season. Stuff like pasta, rice, and beans. i find going international makes it easier b/c most other cuisines don't rely on veggie meats.
#10 Old 10-29-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavyslave View Post

thats what i have to spend on groceries this week for 2 people. can any of you suggest a sample list of what i should get? ill eat pretty much anything, except non veggie food. i was hoping i could get some new ideas.

Sadly, I spend a lot more, and i'm in a single-person household.
#11 Old 10-29-2004, 08:12 PM

I used to shop for a week with like 12 bucks (for 2). it went something like this -

iceberg lettuce

pasta

cheese

eggs

ww bread

milk

salad dressing

potatos

butter

The combos are endless. eggs w/toast, cheese sandwhiches, potatos and eggs, baked potatos and butter w/salad and dressing, cheese sandwhich with lettuce and dressing, grilled cheese, pasta w/butter, pasta w/cheese, pasta w/salad dressing, cheese omolet w/salad

Yep, that was about it. however now, we don't eat eggs and cheese much so it has changed to this -

tortillas

black beans

pasta

sauce

green onions, tomatos, potatos, green peppers

ww bread

cheap ass frozen pizza (5 for $10 kind) haven't eaten dairy in awhile, but cheap

spinach (i go all out now w/the extra $1)

salad dressing

crutons (another splurge)

kimchi bowls, ramen, etc

peanut butter

oj (splurge)
#12 Old 10-30-2004, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post

I used to shop for a week with like 12 bucks (for 2). it went something like this -

iceberg lettuce

pasta

cheese

eggs

ww bread

milk

salad dressing

potatos

butter

The combos are endless. eggs w/toast, cheese sandwhiches, potatos and eggs, baked potatos and butter w/salad and dressing, cheese sandwhich with lettuce and dressing, grilled cheese, pasta w/butter, pasta w/cheese, pasta w/salad dressing, cheese omolet w/salad

Yep, that was about it. however now, we don't eat eggs and cheese much so it has changed to this -

tortillas

black beans

pasta

sauce

green onions, tomatos, potatos, green peppers

ww bread

cheap ass frozen pizza (5 for $10 kind) haven't eaten dairy in awhile, but cheap

spinach (i go all out now w/the extra $1)

salad dressing

crutons (another splurge)

kimchi bowls, ramen, etc

peanut butter

oj (splurge)

That would add up to a lot more than $12. If it doesn't in your area, i'm moving there!
#13 Old 10-30-2004, 06:21 PM

nope, not at the ghetto foods. OK, I live in the dairy state, where milk, cheese and eggs are very very cheap. Also, there is no tax on perishable foods here.

iceberg lettuce - 45 cents

pasta - 89 cents for 1 lb

cheese - 1.99 for a big brick of cheddar

eggs - 59 cents for 1 dozen

ww bread - 1.49

milk - 1.59 (milk has since gone up to 1.89)

salad dressing 1.99

potatos - depending on how many, between 1-3 bucks

butter - 1.58

So what's this add up too? i don't know, but i know I bought that stuff every week for quite awhile and it was always around $12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page