Juicing to gain weight - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 PM

Juicing to gain weight

I recently purchased an Omega 8006 masticating juicer. I'm interested in incorporating fresh juice in my diet in an attempt to gain weight rather than relying on soda or commercially available juices. I'm currently borderline underweight with a BMI around 18-19. I realize that most people use fresh juice as a part of their weight loss regime but I figure it could be a healthy way of gaining weight if done correctly. I won't be relying exclusively on juice to gain weight, but the extra calories / natural sugar without the fiber should help.

It seems that all of the higher calorie fruits aren't ideal for juicing.. e.g. dates, avacados, bananas, coconuts, raisins, prunes, figs.

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhavequestions View Post
I recently purchased an Omega 8006 masticating juicer. I'm interested in incorporating fresh juice in my diet in an attempt to gain weight rather than relying on soda or commercially available juices. I'm currently borderline underweight with a BMI around 18-19. I realize that most people use fresh juice as a part of their weight loss regime but I figure it could be a healthy way of gaining weight if done correctly. I won't be relying exclusively on juice to gain weight, but the extra calories / natural sugar without the fiber should help.

It seems that all of the higher calorie fruits aren't ideal for juicing.. e.g. dates, avacados, bananas, coconuts, raisins, prunes, figs.

The fructose in fruit should definitely help you put weight on. It will be a lot healthier than relying on refined sugary products.
#3 Old 11-26-2016, 07:17 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhavequestions View Post

Fruit juice is moderate in calories. 1 cup (8 ounces) of orange juice has about 100 calories: https://www.google.com/#q=1+cup+orange+juice+calories

You can also try adding nut butter to your diet. A single tablespoon of peanut butter has almost 100 calories: https://www.google.com/#q=1+tablespo...utter+calories

Natural peanut butters (free from added sweeteners, palm oil, or hydrogenated oil) are much healthier than more processed brands.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 11-26-2016 at 07:42 AM.

#4 Old 12-04-2016, 07:39 PM

What about juicing to loose weight??? any suggestions on good natural fat burners
#5 Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshV View Post
What about juicing to loose weight??? any suggestions on good natural fat burners
To lose weight you have to eat in a calorie deficit; there's no magical remedy (even natural) that will make you lose fat.

Everyone is different, but juicing to lose weight doesn't sound good since liquid calories don't make you feel as full. Personally, I would recommend eating vegetables and fruit in its solid state. It will fill you up more.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#6 Old 12-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Beginner

I was under the impression that 'sugar is sugar is sugar' and in excess, is not good for your health or your teeth.

https://authoritynutrition.com/6-hea...-can-kill-you/

'...Sugar, due to its high amount of the simple sugar fructose, can wreak havoc on your metabolism.

Consumed in excess, it causes high cholesterol and triglycerides, insulin resistance and fat buildup in the liver and abdominal cavity… in as little as 10 weeks (1, 2)....'

https://authoritynutrition.com/fruit...s-bad-as-soda/

'....Fruit juice is missing a lot of the stuff that makes whole fruit healthy.

Orange juice, for example, does contain Vitamin C and is a decent source of folate, potassium and Vitamin B1 (2).

It also contains antioxidants, some of which can increase the antioxidant value of the blood (3, 4).

But calorie for calorie (or sugar gram for sugar gram), it is nutritionally poor compared to whole oranges and other plant foods like vegetables (5)....'

Personally, I think you would be far better off adding nuts to your diet (lots of walnuts for example which gives you omega 3's), plus loads of other veggies and grains and such.

And here's something to think about. My husband was like you throughout his 20's. Couldn't put weight on to save his life. Heavy was 125lbs. and 5'11". Now that he is 65, he is a healthy 160 lbs while his brother who is the same height but was always heavier is over 200lbs. Just eat real healthy, include lots of nuts and a variety of other things, add some calories to your daily menu. Something to consider too regarding the first link, it mentions fat build up in the liver, well my friend died of fatty liver disease and she didn't realize she had a problem until it was too late. In my opinion, sugar should be a rare treat, not a large part of your diet and particularly if you want to present a good image of what a veg'n diet can do for people.

Last edited by 121938; 12-05-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Tags
juice , juicing , Vegan , weight gain , weight loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page