Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JD236
  • 1 Post By Dilettante
  • 1 Post By JD236

#1 Old 11-07-2016, 02:46 AM

Cooking For Vegetarians

Hello Folks,

Every year for our family's annual New Years celebrations we have 20 -30 people for dinner. This year we have an extra few people including 5 veggies. My Household is very much a meat-eating household so my mother has delegated me to take care of our vegetarian guests while she takes care of the 25 or so meat eaters.

This also means that I am limited in the space I have to cook. Most likely I will have access to one burner on the hob as the Oven and the other burners will be used for meat and sides for the meat-eaters (Bare in mind there are 25 people to feed so she kind of needs the space).

As a meat eater myself I wanted to ask the opinion of you kind folks for suggestions on what to cook and what pitfalls to avoid. I'm sure you have all been in a dinner party where the veggie option was prepared as a bit of an afterthought.

My plan at the moment is to make a wild mushroom pappardelle with broad beans and cream sauce, Parmesan on the side as I know some veggies don't eat it because of the enzymes. (As far as I know all my guests eat egg and dairy in general but I will triple check to be safe)

Also, I'm responsible for making canapés for everyone too which are normally vegetarian anyway but id love some suggestions on that front too.

Anyway id love to hear any suggestions or comments that you have

Thanks in advance
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

The mushroom papperdelle with broad beans and cream sauce sounds good. I'm a vegetarian who, given a choice, would prefer to eat vegan. So if I were one of your guests, I'd prefer that you use coconut cream, which tastes pretty much the same as dairy cream. However, I'd eat the dairy cream if that's what was served. (Others, though, are different. Some wouldn't care about the dairy cream at all, and some, who are strict vegans, would refuse it.)

Also, you might want to add a nice vegetarian high protein dish. Either veggie burgers or some other faux meat, or marinated tempeh. Tempeh, by the way, is a fermented soybean cake and is widely available in stores these days. Just cut it into thin slices, spread a bit of mustard on top, then marinate for six hours in equal parts soy sauce, lemon juice, and olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees until it's 160 degrees (about 15 minutes).

Last edited by Dilettante; 11-07-2016 at 08:44 AM.
#3 Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Hi Dilettante thanks for the response.

And thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those meat alternatives, although I have to admit its not really an area I have a huge amount of experience . One of my main issues with the papperdelle dish is that im not sure quite its "special" enough, this is one of the main family events of the year for us after all.
Purp likes this.

#4 Old 11-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my main issues with the papperdelle dish is that im not sure quite its "special" enough, this is one of the main family events of the year for us after all.

It sounds "special" enough to me. It actually sounds rather good. I might try making it myself at some point.

Tags
advice help needed , dinner party , meat eating family , tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page