VeggieBoards banner

We Tried The “Bleeding” Vegetarian Burger And It Was Actually Good

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jessandreia 
#1 ·

Some of the first "bleeding" veggie burgers were made by Beyond Meat and only sold at a Whole Foods in Colorado. They sold out IN ONE DAY.
The latest meat-like veggie burgers are from a company called Impossible Foods. The magic ingredient, according to their website, is "heme," something abundant in meat but also found in many plants on earth. It's the part that gives meat its texture and makes it "bleed."
Read the rest of the review here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseamarshall/bleeding-vegetable-burger?utm_term=.lyKz6VVVxg#.elmKrQQQA6

I really enjoyed this review from Buzzfeed and this burger looks incredible! I don't know when I'm going to be able to try it but I'm excited. :drool:

See less See more
Reactions: David3
#7 ·
I don't know if I want to try it. I really like Amy's California veggie burger, with sautéed mushrooms. I might want it someday, but I would mainly promote this to people who say they have a hard time giving up beef.

#8 ·
I think, to me, it would remind me too much of eating meat and that would trigger me. I might feel sick. I like a veggie burger" to look like it is made with rice, onions and other non-meat ingredients. am I strange?

I think it would be great for someone trying to become vegetarian, who is about to have a meat-binge. I think this might turn that craving down.

#9 ·
I'm curious how kids growning up veg'n eating these products view them? If you've never had real meat, but the foods they make to substitute meat you don't have that frame of reference
Like for me, I grew up on soy burgers as a omni and always liked them better. when I completely swore off meat I still love those kinds of foods, meatless balls, even Beyond Meat beefys. I also grew up with Boca chik'n patties (or something like them) and still love the vegan chik'n foods. Things that resemebled strips of beef like seitan took some time before I could go near them, and Beyond Meat chikn strips--heck no! To me they're tooooo much like chicken.

So I think it's maybe more of a mindset about foods.
I'd hope someday no one needs to question whether somethings vegan or not because that's way too horrible to imagine

#11 ·
Yeah never liked meat burgers, especially "bleeding" ones...I remember feeding hamburger to the dog. The substitutes I like resemble chicken strips, fish sticks and I am a strange Tofurky fan *I know some people hate it lol* ...I actually think vegan chkn tastes better than fowl flesh, the hardest things for me were cheese and fish.

I don't judge people for eating this burger, I'm actually happy it exists for them, I just am not interested, it honestly gives me the creeps a little and I like how light the mushroom, rice and walnut burgers are that I prefer.

#13 ·
I feel like the main difference on whether this kind of product would be appealing to an individual veg*n or not, would be the reasons why they don't eat meat in the first place (and potentially how long they'd been veg*n; my understanding is that the longer one is veg*n, the less cravings one has for previously enjoyed foods).

I really think products like this are the key to helping the majority of the population transition to a meatless diet. Let's face it: not a lot of people are willing to make sacrifices in their lifestyles/diet. There are more people who like the taste and texture of meat than those who don't, and the more closely a plant based diet has the power to emulate those sensations the better chance we have of liberating the animals from having to satisfy those demands ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.