Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 04-27-2016, 06:40 AM
Fitness YouTuber

My Pea Protein Tastes Awful!

Hey people

So I recently ordered some unflavoured pea protein powder from online supp retailer Myprotein unsure of what to expect as I have never tried the product before.

The problem I'm having is that the taste really isn't nice haha! It's borderline undrinkable when I shake it up in water and seems to be even worse when mixed with anything else!

So far I've tried mixing it with chocolate flavouring, then tried savoury flavours mixing it with a couple different soups but all this tasted pretty awful.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on making this stuff more enjoyable to consume! Would REALLY appreciate it haha.

Thanks people!

Check out the YouTube Fitness Channel for Recipes, Training and Lifestyle Content!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

I don't like pea protein either. The good news is you don't need to drink protein supplements, so you can just toss it. Here is a good articles on plant based protein that explains why you don't need it. http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

cheers
#3 Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra biped View Post
I don't like pea protein either. The good news is you don't need to drink protein supplements, so you can just toss it. Here is a good articles on plant based protein that explains why you don't need it. http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

cheers

Unfortunately, the Michael Bluejay article misquotes the protein recommendations of the World Health Organization. Michael says that humans only need 2.5% to 11% of calories from protein. Not true!

The World Health Organization states that a safe intake of protein is 0.83 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (or 0.38 gram of protein per pound of body weight). See page 126 of the World Health Organization's report: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...RS_935_eng.pdf . For a 165-pound man eating the recommended 2300 calories per day, 0.38 gram of protein per pound of body weight equals 63 grams of protein, or 11% of calories from protein. It is not safe to eat a lower percentage of protein.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 04-27-2016 at 12:59 PM.

#4 Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Just eat peas instead.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 AM
Fitness YouTuber

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I have already purchased the product so it's more a question of how to consume it at this point rather than whether I should or shouldn't (unfortunately) haha!

I do like protein supplements though because it makes it more convenient to hit my protein numbers for the day, I know whole foods would be a better choice but I simply struggle to take in enough protein on whole foods alone.

Thanks again!

Check out the YouTube Fitness Channel for Recipes, Training and Lifestyle Content!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 AM
Fitness YouTuber

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I have already purchased the product so it's more a question of how to consume it at this point rather than whether I should or shouldn't (unfortunately) haha!

I do like protein supplements though because it makes it more convenient to hit my protein numbers for the day, I know whole foods would be a better choice but I simply struggle to take in enough protein on whole foods alone.

Thanks again!

#7 Old 04-28-2016, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I've used pea protein from time to time. I like it because it blends well with other stuff and doesn't leave a lot of grittiness. It also has fairly simple ingreidents and not a lot of sugar or additives. It's always been easier for me to digest too. And it is inexpensive compared to other vegan protein powders. It doesn't have a lot of taste in itself though.

I used it almost exclusively for smoothies. I did try using it in baking but it would leave an off taste. I would blend it with frozen banana chunks, leafy greens (soft lettuces, spinach, turnip greens all seem to blend more smoothly than kale and other tougher greens), berries or cantaloupe or mango. I love thick creamy smoothies and the protein powder along with the combinations I mentioned did the trick and tasted fairly decent. I would add a little stevia (I grow my own plant in warmer months and throw stevia leaves right from my herb garden into the blender) too. the banana and other fruit also provides more flavor and sweetener.

Another thing you could try. I make chickpea flour omelets sometimes for breakfast. It is very quick and easy to make. I usually add a half cup of chickpea flour to a bowl. You could add a serving of pea protein in there as well. then add a pinch of cumin powder, ground black pepper, or other spices of you likeing. Add a half cup or slightly more cold water to the mix and mix vigorously to make a pancake batter consistency. Heat a nonstick skillet on low medium, and spread you batter on it like a pancake. Let it cook and when it bubbles, add some chopped leafy greens, salsa, bell pepper, celery, or whatever other veggies you prefer. Then fold over your pancake and let it cook a half minute, flip and let that side cook a half minute more, and viola you have a filling chickpea flour omelet! Since chickpea flour and pea protein are fairly close in taste I think the two mixed together would work well. A half cup of chickpea flour alone has 8 grams of ptotein, so add the serving of pea protein, plus a cup of spinach, and you can get a huge amount of protein out of that "omelet". The addition of salsa, especially spicy, really puts it over the top as far as an eggy savory awesome taste for breakfast, that is very low sugar. Dang, I wish I would have had this for breakfast this morning instead of my oatmeal lol.
LedBoots and 10LitresFitness like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#8 Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I've used pea protein from time to time. I like it because it blends well with other stuff and doesn't leave a lot of grittiness. It also has fairly simple ingreidents and not a lot of sugar or additives. It's always been easier for me to digest too. And it is inexpensive compared to other vegan protein powders. It doesn't have a lot of taste in itself though.

I used it almost exclusively for smoothies. I did try using it in baking but it would leave an off taste. I would blend it with frozen banana chunks, leafy greens (soft lettuces, spinach, turnip greens all seem to blend more smoothly than kale and other tougher greens), berries or cantaloupe or mango. I love thick creamy smoothies and the protein powder along with the combinations I mentioned did the trick and tasted fairly decent. I would add a little stevia (I grow my own plant in warmer months and throw stevia leaves right from my herb garden into the blender) too. the banana and other fruit also provides more flavor and sweetener.

Another thing you could try. I make chickpea flour omelets sometimes for breakfast. It is very quick and easy to make. I usually add a half cup of chickpea flour to a bowl. You could add a serving of pea protein in there as well. then add a pinch of cumin powder, ground black pepper, or other spices of you likeing. Add a half cup or slightly more cold water to the mix and mix vigorously to make a pancake batter consistency. Heat a nonstick skillet on low medium, and spread you batter on it like a pancake. Let it cook and when it bubbles, add some chopped leafy greens, salsa, bell pepper, celery, or whatever other veggies you prefer. Then fold over your pancake and let it cook a half minute, flip and let that side cook a half minute more, and viola you have a filling chickpea flour omelet! Since chickpea flour and pea protein are fairly close in taste I think the two mixed together would work well. A half cup of chickpea flour alone has 8 grams of ptotein, so add the serving of pea protein, plus a cup of spinach, and you can get a huge amount of protein out of that "omelet". The addition of salsa, especially spicy, really puts it over the top as far as an eggy savory awesome taste for breakfast, that is very low sugar. Dang, I wish I would have had this for breakfast this morning instead of my oatmeal lol.
10LitresFitness likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#9 Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 AM
Fitness YouTuber

Thanks a lot!! I will have to try making smoothies with it then haha, sounds like an idea

Tags
fitness , flavour , gym , muscle , powder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page