Craving Pizza!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Baby Love

I have been craving cheese pizza for the past few days. I have been doing well with the newly dairy-free diet, but need some help on this one Pizza used to be one of those foods I had several times a week. I loved it!

Guilt trips, health facts, and possible substitutions would all be appreciated. Please and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Rie

Make/buy a crust, slap on some vegan gourmet mozzerella, some veggie pepperonis, and some tomato sauce. I often add pineapple chunks.

Or, you can order papa johns without the cheese.
#3 Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 PM

Once you get used to having pizza without cheese, you'll begin to realize how much you can actually taste all the toppings! Do you know how much saturated fat and cholesterol are in a single serving of pizza? Me neither! (but I know it's insane) Of course, there's what the poor dairy cows have to go through to provide us with milk, a food we don't need to survive.

Hope one of those helps.
#4 Old 08-23-2004, 03:01 PM

Whenever I'm tempted to eat cheese I think of calves being raised for veal. I think that's a saddest and sickest kind of torture imagineable. I can't support an industry that routinely commits such crimes against animals.
#5 Old 08-23-2004, 03:18 PM

This doesn't address the cheese issue (although I think it's been addressed amply by recipes like this http://pakupaku.info/pizza.shtml), but Bryanna of vegsource just posted this recipe for vegan pepperoni today and I am SO excited to try it.

BRYANNAS SEITAN SALAMI (WITH PEPPERONI VARIATION )

Makes 2 rolls

Be sure to let this refrigerate overnight or for a full day before using-the flavors really multiply! This is tender, yet easy to slice thinly.

NOTE: If you are tempted to leave out the oil, this saves only about 90 calories per roll.

DRY MIX:

2/3 c. pure gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)

1/3 c. soy or chickpea flour, or soy protein (isolate) powder

3 T. oat bran

2 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. EACH dry mustard, onion powder and WHOLE black peppercorns

1/2 tsp. Freshly-ground black pepper

WET MIX:

3 T. soy sauce

2 T. ketchup

1 T. Asian (toasted) sesame oil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tsp. Liquid smoke

enough cold water mixed with the above to make 7/8 c.

COOKING BROTH:

1/2 c. dry red wine (can be non-alcoholic) OR 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar PLUS 1/4 c. water

6 T. water

3 T. soy sauce

1/2 T. olive oil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, blending well.

Mix the soy sauce, ketchup, sesame oil, garlic, water and liquid smoke , and then add to the Dry Mix. Stir briefly. Divide into 2 equal portions and roll them on a clean countertop into 2 rolls that will fit (both of them) into an 8x4 and 1/2 loaf pan, with a little room around each one for expansion. Pour the Cooking broth over them. Cover the pan (use foil if necessary) and bake for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours, turning every 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.

Cool the rolls for at least 8 hours before using(you can freeze them). Slice thinly.

VARIATION: SEITAN PEPPERONI;

NOTE: If you are tempted to leave out the oil, this saves only about 45 calories per roll.

To the Dry Mix ADD 1/2 tsp. Dried red chile pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp. Ground anise seed, and a pinch of ground allspice. Instead of 2 rolls, make 4 thinner rolls and bake in a 9x5 loaf pan.
#6 Old 08-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Baby Love

Ahhh. Thank you I forgot about the papa johns option. Someone had mentioned, in a thread somewhere else around here, about dipping bread/crust into melted vegan marg. I had completely forgotten.

Cookingveg, I shall try your recipe another time. I'll need to find and purchase those ingredients first.

Thanks for the help all! ... and the guilt trips do help
#7 Old 08-23-2004, 04:29 PM

Just to try out the cheese-less Pizza at Papa John's I ordered one a few weeks back. It was such a rip off. They charged $14.00 for a medium sized pizza with 3 skimpy veggie toppings. I ordered mine as a whole; I did not want them to slice it with their cheese laden knives. You would think a pizza like that would only be about $6.00. I do admit, their crust is pretty damn good only drawback is that it is a white crust.

Homemade vegan pizza is so much better.
#8 Old 08-23-2004, 04:43 PM

Do you have a Whole Foods or a Wild Oats near you? In my area, at least, they tend to have vegan pizza out or available on request. It's loaded with veggies and really tasty.

And vegan gourmet really is a good option, as I discovered last night. A restaurant in Portland makes pizza with it, and it really hit that cheese pizza spot for me.

I'm a pizza fiend too, so I feel your pain!
#9 Old 08-23-2004, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Once you get used to having pizza without cheese, you'll begin to realize how much you can actually taste all the toppings! Do you know how much saturated fat and cholesterol are in a single serving of pizza? Me neither! (but I know it's insane) Of course, there's what the poor dairy cows have to go through to provide us with milk, a food we don't need to survive.

Hope one of those helps.

or just melt on some veggie slices!
#10 Old 08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Baby Love

I actually love the Vegan Pizza made by Annies ... I think its called. Carmelized onions galore

I decided it was too much effort to make a pizza and too expensive to order one, but you all had definately talked me about of the cheesy desire. I had some good stuff in my kitchen, so I got creative. I sauted whole wheat tortillas to warm them up. I sandwiched cooked sundried tomatoes, spinach, and t. sauce in between. Then I sliced it into pieces and dipped it in a vegan garlic 'butter' sauce. It was quite yummy. I washed it down with some VeganChip Cookies ... shhh!

Thanks for the inspiration
#11 Old 08-23-2004, 06:40 PM

My favorite pizza to make at home uses the frozen corn meal pizza shells from Whole Foods, canned/jarred pizza sauce (preferably without hydrogenated oils or corn syrup), and a frozen Aztec blend from Cascadian Farms, or whatever they're called.

I kid you not; this is the yummiest vegan pizza I've ever eaten. Basically just Mexican Pizza, I suppose.
#12 Old 08-23-2004, 06:47 PM

I just buy some vegan pizza crust mix, make the crust, add pizza sauce, sausage crumbles onions, peppers, mushrooms, and dust it with vegan parmesean. It always hits the spot.
#13 Old 08-23-2004, 07:02 PM

Papa John's garlic "butter" sauce, though not healthy, is vegan. Uses soybean oil instead of butter.

Mmm...,

Schmeebis
#14 Old 08-23-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schmeebis View Post

Papa John's garlic "butter" sauce, though not healthy, is vegan. Uses soybean oil instead of butter.

Mmm...,

Schmeebis

its vegan? I used to like that stuff before i went veg. Might have to get some again.
#15 Old 08-23-2004, 07:33 PM

Yeah. It comes with the usual disclaimer- check the ingredients to make sure they are the same in your area. But if you do a Google search or call Papa John's corporate office, you will find that it's animal product-free, just like their pizza crust (not the thin-crust, though) and pizza sauce.

Hope this helps,

S
#16 Old 08-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Administrator

I'd say just go cheeseless. I've found a truly good pizza does not need cheese and may actually taste better without it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#17 Old 08-23-2004, 08:35 PM

I agree with Michael, go cheeseless.

I've recently discovered making my own pizzas and they are great. Before that i thought I'd never be able to have pizzas again since pizzas from the "chains" make me sick.

If you have a favorite veggie, or combo of veggies, add it to your pizza. I'm a garlic, onlion, tomato, mushroom gal!
#18 Old 08-23-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Someone had mentioned, in a thread somewhere else around here, about dipping bread/crust into melted vegan marg.

oooh, that sounds good!
#19 Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

My favorite pizza to make at home uses the frozen corn meal pizza shells from Whole Foods, canned/jarred pizza sauce (preferably without hydrogenated oils or corn syrup), and a frozen Aztec blend from Cascadian Farms, or whatever they're called.

I kid you not; this is the yummiest vegan pizza I've ever eaten. Basically just Mexican Pizza, I suppose.

oh man i do something similar.. i get the same crust (LOVE IT) and put black refried beans down as a "sauce" of sorts, then throw random toppings (usually start w/ fantastic's taco "meat" filling) and some veggies (of course olives)... i could eat that day in and day out

and ya, i won't order papa johns pizza vegan style because of how much of a rip off it is. as someone said, you shell out like 15 bux, and get a pizza that has like 2 veggies per slice. I guess its a great backup though. as for the garlic sauce, i read somewhere it wasn't vegan.. i must go look again, cause that stuff was good

there is a pizza shop in ft. collins (about 1.5... 2 hrs away from me) that actually has a vegan pizza on the menu. its SOOO good. they pile on the veggies... seriously. and its a good price as well.
#20 Old 08-23-2004, 10:36 PM

Papa Johns has good deals from time to time. So does Pizza Hut every once in a while. If you're going to order from a chain restraurant, you have to ask what their specials are or use a coupon.

I just like making my own, on a pita bread with lots of sauce and veggies.
#21 Old 08-23-2004, 10:38 PM

Yours sounds good, too, Vlad!
#22 Old 08-23-2004, 10:55 PM

i say eat a lot of hummus and put some on your cheeseless pizza, hummus is a perfect replacement for cheese IMO
#23 Old 08-24-2004, 02:44 AM

I like cheeseless pizzas, but after discovering vegan pizza WITH cheese, I've found that cheeseless pizzas just don't do it for me anymore! Maybe it's just psychological, but I NEED vegan cheese on my pizza nowadays, perhaps because of how attractive the pizza looks with it. And the "cheese" can be a nutritional yeast sauce, or it can be as simple as a delicious white bechamel sauce. Check out Bryanna Clark Grogan's bechamel sauce recipe! If the sauce contains flour, it'll brown beautifully under the broiler.

I'm addicted to vegan cheese and Tofurky sausage pizzas now! Droooooooooool

I'm not too fond of cooking actually, and making pizzas with "cheese" does take a bit of effort if you're making the "cheese" at home. Ordinarily, I wouldn't bother, but in the case of pizza, it's absolutely worth the effort, especially when you smell the gorgeous pizza baking in the oven!!! Oh, the cheesy aroma... :swoon:

#24 Old 08-24-2004, 07:35 AM

I'm with veggirlie. I thought cheeseless pizzas were good when I was eating them, but when my supermarket started carrying Vegan Gourmet and I made a pizza with it for the first time - wow! Now it just doesn't seem like a pizza without it.
#25 Old 08-24-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I have been craving cheese pizza for the past few days. I have been doing well with the newly dairy-free diet, but need some help on this one Pizza used to be one of those foods I had several times a week. I loved it!

Guilt trips, health facts, and possible substitutions would all be appreciated. Please and thank you.

Years ago I had the same problem.

The cravings went away when I started eating more vegetables like broccoli, collards and kale.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#26 Old 08-24-2004, 11:46 PM

Much as I love greens, I don't think they would kill my pizza cravings.
#27 Old 08-25-2004, 04:20 AM
Banned

I'd say go cheeseless too. I was really surpsised to discover when I went vegan that cheeseless pizza tastes really good. I've since reverted back to been lacto-ovo, but I still as often as not order my pizza without cheese. I mean I enjoy it equally either way so why have the extra calories and fat?!

Kerry x
#28 Old 08-26-2004, 11:13 AM

I haven't tried it, but my local grocery store sells Amy's pizzas. They have a soy cheese pizza reg. price $4.99.

BabyVeggies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page