Suggestions for a college student? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 AM

Suggestions for a college student?

I am student in college and have recently gone vegan. As I live on campus I do not really have access to a kitchen. I pretty much only have access to a mini refrigerator, a microwave and a magic bullet. As a result my options for preparing food are very limited. I've been trying to maintain a mostly whole food and plant based diet and was wondering if anyone had any suggestion given my limited resources and general lack of money. Thank you! I really appreciate it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2015, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi newveg96,

Do you have a cafeteria meal plan at all? Or do you need to strictly rely on your own food? If you are a new vegan and struggling financially, I wouldn't limit myself to just "whole food". For the most part yes it is healthier and tends to be cheaper but it does take time to prepare and effort to plan. As a college student I imagine you are going to be fairly busy and have limited space and time. That said, here are some ideas:

Oats and couscous are two cheaper and healthier whole grains that take little time to prepare. It is literally a matter of adding hot water to a bowl of dry grain and letting it soak a few minutes to get a hot cereal. You can add stuff like bananas, peanut butter, sesame or sunflower seeds, dried fruit, etc. Even canned beans and tomato sauce and some tomatoes with it.

If you can find a good vegan bread or tortillas etc, you can add canned beans over warm bread or in a tortilla with some salsa and leafy greens. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are very filling too, and I often use fat free refried pinto beans from a can as a spread to go on my morning toast. A tub of hummus is great to keep around for this too, and for raw veggies. Carrots, cauliflower, jicama, raw broccoli are all cheaper vegetables to buy. With a hardy dip/spread they are filling and healthy.

Soy milk tends to be the cheapest of the plant milks (I have found aseptic cartons of soy milk in dollar stores), but any plant milk would be helpful to have around. The smaller shelf stable cartons have about four servings in them and can fit in a mini refrigerator. Sometimes just a warmed glass of plant milk is a nice evening snack.

Bags of roasted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds with shell on are also cheaper snacks to have around. I sometimes have those individual boxes of raisins on hand for snacks or to add in hot cereal or a sandwich.

I like to mash some bananas with canned pure pumpkin and add some blackstrap molasses to it all for breakfast or a snack. I can get two or three servings out of that and the rest keeps in the refrigerator.

I've never tried it, but I have heard you can microwave sweet potato and also russet potatoes to get them soft. I LOVE sweet potato with canned black beans, curry powder and ginger powder, and lightly steamed kale. I can picture adding kale to a bowl of water or vegetable broth in the microwave to get it a little softer and cooked.

Back to sandwiches...sliced tomato, avocado, and ground black pepper is great! If you can get hold of vegan mayo (not cheap but a little goes a long way), I like to mash some chickpeas in a bowl with chopped celery and add some vegan mayo and ground black pepper to make a chickpea salad mix. This goes great in a sandwich. There are many variations of this. Tofu also works for this.

Occasionally stuff like Amy's frozen burritos (the vegan ones) or a cliff bar or larabar will do. Garden salads can be made more hearty with the addition of chickpeas, avocado, nuts/seeds, fresh or dried fruit (oranges keep a long time) etc.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-05-2015, 08:17 AM
Beginner

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-bu.../472E10SL.html

I've used one of these for years. Indoors and outdoors. They run on butane -very cheap to operate and no gas odors when you burn it. Mine will boil a liter of water in about 5 minutes.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Tags
college student , food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page