VeggieBoards banner

What did you last bring home from the grocery store??

22K views 240 replies 55 participants last post by  inhalecalm 
#1 · (Edited)
My latest shopping trip yielded:
A big bag of various onions
Elephant garlic
Roma tomatoes
Tri-color bell peppers
Avocados
Mushrooms
Rainbow baby carrots
Broccoli
Baby spinach
No-salt garbonzos & black beans
Sager Creek Hummus (in a can!)
No-salt diced/crushed tomatoes & sauce
Flatout Multigrain w/ flax wraps
Corn tortillas
Mrs. Dash Table Blend
Ground cayenne
Meijer no-salt kettle potato chips
Babybel cheeses
Sesame oil
---------------------------------------------

I feel so replenished & excited! LOL :D:bobo::D

See less See more
#2 ·
Just got back :)

25 lbs rolled oats
10 lbs whole wheat flour
10 lbs potatoes
1 lb red pepper powder
16 apples
12 bananas
3 pears
3 big yellow onions
1 gallon vinegar

I rarely use vinegar in cooking, I only needed a new gallon this year because I just finished making a batch of antibiotics. My kitchen makes more than food, lol

#5 ·
Costco trip?

From Aldi:

hamburger buns
toilet paper
tranquility trail mix
cauliflower
veggie burgers (impulse purchase, first vegan burgers I've found there...and they're even labeled "vegan"--it was my duty as a citizen of the world to purchase them)
yeast (have to use up my flour!)
agave
honeycrisp apples
medium salsa
baby carrots
roasted red pepper hummus
pre-crisped tostada shells (impulse purchase, but I already had 2 cans of refried beans)
18 oz stoneware soup mug with lid (what can I say, I eat a lot of soup!)
3-pak of romaine hearts
acorn squash (sadly, too small to stuff)

Total including totally unnecessary purchases: $33.17

#3 ·
A short list- toilet paper and coffee.

#7 · (Edited)
20 pounds basmati rice
rice flour
chickpea flour
ginger root
cardamon
package of 16 vegan masala burgers
package of frozen potato and pea samosas
2 boxes of TVP
black peppercorns
vegan ginger cookies
a spice mix the guy at the store recommended when he saw us buying TVP
mung beans

From an Indian market.

BTW, the masala burgers were $8 for the box of 16. Ethnic markets have so much better prices than regular grocery stores.

#9 ·
Wholemeal bread
Original Source mint & tea tree shower gel
Low fat oven chips
Popping corn
Spring greens (collards)
Swede
Onions
Cucumber
Little gem lettuces
Mushrooms
Carrots
Rich roast ground coffee
Granose vegetable pate
Soya milk
Almond Breeze
Wholewheat noodles
Smokey chilli and garlic paste
Black bean sauce
Cauldron tofu
Le Conserva Della Nonna free-from Pesto
Pickled jalapenos
Pataks Madras spice paste
Tiger Tiger Worcester sauce
Orange squash
Grape and peach squash
Baked beans
Chopped tomatoes
Frozen spinach
Alpro dark chocolate soya dessert

And I keep a stocked wholefoods cupboard that I get in bulk a few times a year.

#14 ·
My last shop was done about two weeks ago, and this one has just been ordered for tomorrow:

Wholemeal bread
Popping corn (we love this stuff - so fast and easy to make)
Baby potatoes x 1 kilo
Spring greens (my favourite form of 'cabbage' just de-ribbed, shredded and boiled)
Garlic bulbs x 4
Bananas x 10
Leeks x 1 kilo (for leek and potato stew)
Red onions (always good for salads)
Whole swede x 1 kilo (we like this boiled and mashed or diced in stews, especially now that it's getting autumnal)
Brown onions x 1 kilo
Radishes
Cataloupe melon
Celery (finely diced is always a part of my stew and soup bases along with carrots and onions. Also good in salads)
Cucumber
Mushrooms
Pack of mixed sweet (bell) peppers
Avocados
Kiwis
Whole lemons
Watercress
Iceberg lettuce (not the tastiest, but useful for sandwiches)
Bottle of lime juice
Shredded vegetable suet
Ground coffee
Almond Breeze
Soya milk x 2 litre
Orange juice x 2 litre
Brown Basmati rice
Wholegrain spaghetti
Tomato ketchup
Dairy free pesto
Orange squash
Chocolate flavour Rice Dream drink
Sparkling white grape and elderflower
Pickled gherkins
Chopped tomatoes x 4
Dried kidney beans
Baked beans
Tinned sweetcorn
Granovita vegetable pate
Pure Soya spread
Frozen sliced beans
Frozen whole green beans
Frozen petite pois
Frozen broad beans
Alpro chocolate puddings
Linda McCartney sausages x 2
Cauldron tofu x 2

Seems like a whole lot of shopping o_O

#17 ·
carrots
4 bell peppers
mushrooms
celery
zucchini
cherry tomatoes
romaine lettuce
spinach
8 bananas
4 oranges
couscous in bulk
almond milk (refrigerated kind)
Daiya chedder shreds
Frozen tator tots (making my husband a favorite dish of his vegan style for his birthday this next week)
Frozen strawberries
tomato paste
dried kidney beans
dried black beans
can fat free refried pinto beans
can green beans
can white beans
pure maple syrup
can pure pumpkin puree
Fair trade ground coffee
extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
vegetable stock

I already have tons of grains and spices stocked up at home, and I STILL have a regular supply of collard greens from my garden going strong. I also still have some tempeh, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds at home already. And tons of vinegars, lemon juice, lime juice, tamari...

#19 ·
My mother has a costco membership, today I went with her to see if they had any worthwhile food.
It was mostly junk food but they did have real food, all of which cost more than at my regular supermarket.
So my grand costco shopping spree haul was....

A big box of dog bones [emoji23]
Lol. I went to Sam's Club with my sister once and almost had a panic attack. So much junk!!! I remember I got a giant box of baking soda and a huge bag of frozen broccoli. There were the hugest things there, like giant mustard and catsup bottles. Like Land of the Giants.

#20 ·
@Naturebound, What's the dish you're making for your husband's birthday? I love tater tots! We don't have them in the UK. :'(

My shop from today:

spiralised courgette and butternut squash
a bag of cut broccoli, cabbage, and leek
rocket
cucumber
bananas
a tray of assorted roasting vegetables
satay sauce
panang sauce
piri piri hummus
oat milk
pasta
coconut, chili, and lemongrass rice
wheat noodles
pizza-flavoured tofu fillet (!!!)
fruit snacks
raisins
pesto sauce
crackers
pita bread

#22 · (Edited)
@Naturebound, What's the dish you're making for your husband's birthday? I love tater tots! We don't have them in the UK. :'(
I actually made the dish tonight since it takes a while and I figured I will be too busy during the week. I've been pulling ten hour shifts and working weekends lately. :/ At any rate, this dish is so not my style at all, and was such a challenge to my eating disorder lol. It broke nearly every rule. But my husband LOVES...

tater tot hot dish,

and I thought it would be nice to veganize the down home rich, fattening, classic tator tot hot dish for him, sans meat. Some tater tots are not vegan due to all the crap put in them, but I found some organic ones: http://www.cascadianfarm.com/products/frozen-potatoes/spud-puppies
and used those. I first made a roux with white flour and Earth balance butter I had on hand and slowly added almond milk to make a thick gravy. I added onion powder and salt/pepper, then stirred in canned green beans, onions, and mushrooms. When we were out and about today I decided to stop and get some Tofutti vegan sour cream so I added that too. Then I scooped it all into a 9x13" pan and added the tator tots on top. finally I sprinkled the Daiya shredded chedder over it all and baked it for 45 minutes. My husband really loved this dish! He ate a ton of it tonight. I am practically doubled over in pain from just the little bit I ate lol. It was that rich.

Edit to add, when I was grocery shopping yesterday I saw that the grocery store I frequent now has Daiya vegan frozen pizzas, the large ones! I actually swore at the store when I saw it, because it was just so tempting. How dare they start having all these vegan goodies so readily available there! :whip:

#25 ·
Tater tot hot dish? I'd like some! Although I'd use diced potatoes, green peppers and mushroomsl and tempeh. In other words, I'd really like some of the gravy!
I did wonder why naturebound would buy canned green beans!:laugh:

I had the most interesting, unexpected stop at a store yesterday. I went to get my free dvd rental from Redbox, with my son, in front of a Giant Eagle, a store I really despise. I've been craving a grilled cheese so I figured why not go in and see if they have Daiya. We went all around the store with their awful smells and sights- seemed like the dead bodies were everywhere- till we found the cheese part. No Daiya, Tofuffi slices, which I didn't even know were vegan. well I didn't want to pay almost $5 for something I didn't know I liked, but then I heard my son say "hey, theres Daiya here for $1.00." WHAT? They had bags of Daiya and packs of Daiya provolone for $1.00 on a discounted shelf. AND the expire date was 1/2016! I didn't know how many to buy. I wanted them all. I ended up buying 4 mozzerella shreds, the only 2 cheddar shreds and 4 packs of provolone! >:D Ten dollars in my freezer for a long time! :eek:
I was both happy and sad, because I want all vegan things to become parts of omnivores diets (and then make them all vegan).

I had some provolone melted over tortilla chips with salsa. Man was that satisfying!

#27 ·
I'll list my Trader Joes stuff, I keep the master list of the few stores I shop at so I don't forget the store-specific things:

crystallized ginger
fresh kale
coconut milk
check the fruit
inquire about soy yogurt
vegan cream cheese
OJ
edaname, peas, corn
sag Thai pad curry (or something)
semi-sweet chocolate chips (vegan)
hash browns-frozen
extra firm tofu, sprouted tofu
tempeh
soy chorizo
Tofurky italian sausage
green juice
peppermint toothpaste
ginger almond soap
Trader Joes extra dry moisturizing lotion--love that stuff!

#29 ·
I like this thread. It's fun to see what everyone shops for, so I'm shamelessly replying to my own post and bumping it up.

Today's final shopping list before I move:

4 tomatoes
1 cucumber
8 apples
3 avocados
2 limes
bell peppers: 2 red, a yellow, and an orange
1 red onion
1 head romaine
4 bananas
8 oz sliced baby portabellas
1 jar marinara sauce
1 can garbanzo beans
1 carton soy milk
2 small almond yogurts: plain

- 10 cents for bringing my own bags:

I decided to use my leftover bread dough to make a cheeseless pizza topped with marinara, red onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, and olives.

#33 · (Edited)
My latest shop:

Hot dog rolls (we already have veggie dogs & sauerkraut)
Frozen steak cut oven chips (to go with the hot dogs)
Wholemeal bread
Popping corn
Plain tortilla chips
Jacobs high fibre cream crackers
Granovita vegetable pate (to go on the crackers)
Big bunch fresh parsley (to go in dumplings and mash)
1 x head of broccoli
4 x red onions (usually use these in wholefood carb based salads for weekday lunches)
200g radishes
1 x cucumber
1 x whole swede (this will be mashed and eaten as a side to nut roast dinner)
6 x brown onions (I cook onions in everything)
500g parsnips (also to go with nut roast dinner - I have the cashews)
4 x avocado
6 x kiwi fruit
750g salad tomatoes
Watercress
Vanilla extract (I like this in my breakfast banana smoothies - makes them taste like ice-cream)
Rich roast ground coffee
2 x 1ltr plain soya milk (mainly for smoothies and granola)
2 x 1ltr orange juice
1 x 1ltre Almond Breeze unsweetened
2 x tomato and basil garlic bread (to make pizzas with next week - I add sliced tomatoes, onions, dairy-free pesto & olives)
2 x 400ml tinned coconut milk (for curries)
Patak's Madras spice paste (for curries)
2 x packets of Chip Shop Style Soya Mince Curry (this stuff is tasty but probably really bad, it's a bit like curried pot noodle mixed with chip shop curry sauce)
Tinned sweetcorn

#34 · (Edited)
My latest shop:
1 x whole swede (this will be mashed and eaten as a side to nut roast dinner)
I had to google to find out what a swede is :). In our grocery stores they sell it under the name "turnip". I have never bought or tried it before, but google says it's very healthy.

Do you cook it before you mash it? I wonder how does it taste (sweet, bitter)?

I have just returned from my shopping and got:
cilantro, spinach
blackberries, blueberries
raspberries (was on sale! 12oz just $1.74!
pears and bananas
baby cucumbers and tomatoes
baby bok shoy
beets and white potatoes
4 avocados
mushrooms
cauliflower
eggplants (going to make eggplants fries today)
Almond and Soy milk
Sauerkrout
cosher dills
roasted seeweed
dried red beans
tomato bruschetta
bread, 2 (brand "Mestemacher",my favorite German bread. Today I've got one with pumpernickel and another with 3 grain cereal; Unfortunately pretty expensive, - $3.98)
Cheddar cheese ("Go Veggie", - bought this brand today 1st time to try. Did not like it at all!)​

#35 ·
1 can tomato paste
2 cans no-salt tomato sauce
2 cans no-salt diced tomatoes
2 cans no-salt black beans
2 cans no-salt garbonzos
Bay leaves
Angel hair pasta
Elbow macaroni
1 lb. dry brown lentils
1 lb. organic whole-bean coffee
2 Roma tomatoes
1 small eggplant
1 yellow squash
1 red bell pepper
5 small ears corn
Baby spinach
Button mushrooms
Babybel cheeses
2 bags no-salt kettle chips

-- A few of those items will eventually become vegetarian pastitsio! :chef: Forgot a couple things, though.... LOL

#39 ·
I can't think of a root vegetable I don't like!
I don't recall if it was turnips or rutabaga that I sliced in sticks and baked like fries with a spray of oil and salt and pepper, but they were delicious that way!

Not fond of orange sweet potatoes but I do eat them on sale with curry, and or peanuts

#41 ·
Back from Trader Joes!
Found some other things I like to add to the list-
There brand Harvest tea--hibiscus already spiced with ginger, cinnamon and obviously some stevia -natural flavor thing again, can't imagine milk stuff in tea right?
their Dynamo calcium added juice--with b12!
Their organic popping corn
raw sunflower seeds
Sprouted organic rice blend-red black and something else

After being so totally tight on grocery money I'm buying 'alternatives' like Tofurky sausage and vegan creme cheese and eating Daiya. I can't tell you how much I like them now! I didn't like any of that when I first quit meat except the few things I always ate like Boca and Gardien Chik'n. Better watch myself....

#45 ·
Aldi has their Simply Organic brand 'exotic vegetable chips'! I've never bought them.
Do you have a good reason for being so low sodium?
When I was pregnant I thought I needed to go low sodium, my blood pressure got really low, and I like salt...

#46 · (Edited)
Well, I can be a fairly anxious person... fretful.... I don't go out anymore (only to my buddy's house), which helps. Empathic folks tend to pick up on the stress/anxiety/moods/vibes of others, so NOT surrounding myself with people is a good thing. I had a little scare over a year ago, checked myself into hospital.... chest x-ray & EKG were all clear, but my blood-pressure was through the roof. I've also been peri-menopausal for a while, so fun stuff happenin' there (palpitations, hot flashes, sweats, et al.... ALL of which have abated since going veggie/low-sodium/home-cook/organic/etc., etc)....
I never used to salt my food, but I was quite the lover of pre-packaged/frozen stuff, restaurant take-out, junk food, potaaaaato skins **drool**... and all that scrumptious garbage. Nowadays there's absolutely no mystery to what's in my food because I put it there. I've always used lots of herbs & spices in my cooking, so my sh*t is never bland. Besides, I'd rather taste the food than the salt. ;)

Incidentally, I take medication for nothing and I feel fantastic.... better than I have in years! :D

So to answer your question.... yes. :rolleyes: LMAO

#47 ·
This afternoon from the local health food shop I picked up a few bits I don't get from my main supermarket shop:

Tarragon & Chive Plamil mayo (love this mayo, really tangy and fresh - I'm using it a lot at the mo')

Tartex Chilli Pate (a long time favourite vegan pate of mine; great on crackers, in workday sarnis or on doorsteps of hot wholemeal toast)

Sunita Halva (a traditional sesame based sweet, this stuff is super good with strong black coffee)

Vegi Deli Quarterpounders (never tried these before as I usually make my own bean burgers, but they were on offer)

Pure Soya butter (easy to get from the supermarket, but it was also on offer)

Wholewheat Cous Cous (I often use cous cous in salads, or as a side dish to spicy / stewy things instead of rice)

#48 ·
My last order from ASDA (UK)

Tea Tree & Mint Shower Gel x 2
Wholemeal thick sliced bread x 1
'Steak Cut' oven chips x 1.25kg
Malt Vinegar
Bananas x 10
Baby potatoes x 1kg
Radishes x 200g
Avocados x 4
Watercress x 85g
Cauldron Tofu 400g x 2
Trimmed leeks x 1kg
Instant coffee dark x 200g
Ground Coffee Italian x 27g
Ecover Laundry Liquid x 1.5ltr
Alpro Vanilla Soya Drink 2 x 1ltr (amazingly delicious! I usually go for unsweetened..)
Alpro Chocolate Soya Drink 2 x 1ltr
Orange Squash
Blackcurrant Squash
Shloer White Grape Juice
Shloer Pink Grape Juice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.