Vegan Mono and diglycerides - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2004, 10:46 AM

Since going vegan, I have been avoiding mono and diglycerides because I never know whether they are of plant or animal origin. I have noticed, however, that a lot of people on here have called products containing mono and diglycerides vegan (i.e. BK veggie bun). So I was wondering how everyone views mono and diglycerides? Do you avoid them? Contact the company and ask about their origins? Just eat them and not worry about it?

I'm interested because all of the grocery store bread (except for the store baked kind), hamburger buns and hot dog buns contain mono and diglycerides...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2004, 10:52 AM

I only eat products that are known to be vegan which have that as an ingredient. On the rare occasion, a product will state that they are vegetable based. Basically, I aovid the product if I do not know if it is vegan.
#3 Old 08-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Rie

Contact the company is the only way to know for sure.
#4 Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 AM

If a product says "Parve"/has a K or U, wouldn't it mean that it contains vegetable based ones?
#5 Old 08-10-2004, 03:56 PM

I don't use a product unless it states vegetable mono and diglycerides. My motto has always been :if in doubt, go without. It's very frustrating because sometimes they only questionable thing in a product will have mon and diglycerides. Unfortunately calling the company doesn't always help. I have called numerous companies about ingredients, usally these or natural flavor, and at least half the time they don't know the source. They tell me their suppliers don't release that information because it might get their seceret ingredient out. They could just verify plant or animal, that's all I am asking.
#6 Old 08-10-2004, 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=msbunnicula]Since going vegan, I have been avoiding mono and diglycerides because I never know whether they are of plant or animal origin. I have noticed, however, that a lot of people on here have called products containing mono and diglycerides vegan (i.e. BK veggie bun). So I was wondering how everyone views mono and diglycerides? Do you avoid them? Contact the company and ask about their origins? Just eat them and not worry about it?

QUOTE]

Do you know that these are of animal origin in the buns of the BK veggie? Someone posted that they are vegan since 2003...I never eat at any fast food place, personally, but this is a good example of why I contact the company directly when in doubt.

I personally don't eat anything that is not VEGAN. 100% VEGAN.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 08-10-2004, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

If a product says "Parve"/has a K or U, wouldn't it mean that it contains vegetable based ones?

Not always. Some kosher foods contain animal products, like some chips I found that had FISH in them...they were Jalapeno and had a bit of kosher gelatin which had FISH in it and also CHICKEN FAT! EWWWW!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 08-10-2004, 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=OrganicVegan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Since going vegan, I have been avoiding mono and diglycerides because I never know whether they are of plant or animal origin. I have noticed, however, that a lot of people on here have called products containing mono and diglycerides vegan (i.e. BK veggie bun). So I was wondering how everyone views mono and diglycerides? Do you avoid them? Contact the company and ask about their origins? Just eat them and not worry about it?

QUOTE]

Do you know that these are of animal origin in the buns of the BK veggie? Someone posted that they are vegan since 2003...I never eat at any fast food place, personally, but this is a good example of why I contact the company directly when in doubt.

I don't know whether anyone has verified the source of the mono and diglycerides in the BK veggie or not...I have heard that they are vegan as well, but no one has ever mentioned the mono or diglycerides.
#9 Old 08-10-2004, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

So I was wondering how everyone views mono and diglycerides? Do you avoid them? Contact the company and ask about their origins? Just eat them and not worry about it?

The later. Mono and diglycerides are something I never worry about.

For those of you that do contact that companies, how often do you find that they are made from animal sources?
#10 Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicVegan View Post

Well don't eat the BK Veggie then. It contains Sugar!
#11 Old 08-11-2004, 12:36 AM

I rarely eat m&d because I buy most all of my food at HFSs and that's rarely (if ever?) an ingredient.

I don't avoid that ingredient in any case, however.
#12 Old 08-11-2004, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Well don't eat the BK Veggie then. It contains Sugar!

#13 Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but the Burger King Veggie burger is NOT vegan. It's only vegetarian. Even if you order it without the mayo, the burger itself is from morningstar and contains eggs and milk. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page