Help getting enough calories of non-cooked food? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan

#1 Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Question Help getting enough calories of non-cooked food?

My apartment it is just SO DARN HOT and we have no AC and cooking anything even on low heat is miserable and makes me have no energy.

I want to get enough nutrition throughout the day, and I'm trying to gain weight and exercise more.

I'm a 5"3 female and I weigh 102 lbs. (I was this thin before being vegan... I know I'm a skeleton and it depresses me cause I have trouble having motivation to eat at all)

I am not allergic to anything and love all fruits/vegetables.

TLDR; I need:
1) Enough calories
2) Enough protein (for muscle building while I try to gain)
3) No cooking cause it's too hot

I can't have much fast food cause I'm broke.
Any advice would be super appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Nuts and seeds.
Hummus.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 07-01-2015 at 01:24 PM.
#3 Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM

Oh yeah I eat almonds sometimes. Is there a limit to how many nuts I should eat in a day?

#4 Old 07-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
Oh yeah I eat almonds sometimes. Is there a limit to how many nuts I should eat in a day?
I don't think so, but make sure you're also eating other foods for other nutrients.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 07-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

You're going to need more than just fruits and vegetables to gain weight. You could add canned beans like chickpeas or black beans that are already cooked to salads. Sliced or cubed avocado can be thrown into a salad or sandwich also. I like to make avocado tomato sandwiches sometimes. I mostly make my own bread but there are commercial vegan friendly breads out there too. Whole wheat bread is a good source of protein, b vitamins etc.

If you have access to a blender, throw in some bananas, fresh coconut, peanut butter, pineapple, or whatever else you desire. I'm always sharing on here how I blend a block of silken tofu with cocoa powder and banana for a thick creamy pudding that is high in calcium, iron, protein, and requires no cooking. Takes about two minutes tops to make. I usually add a pinch of stevia or maple syrup, but don't like it too sweet.

I often have a handful of almonds and a fruit for breakfast, such as a mango or melon, and that combination gives me the stamina and energy I need to get through my morning workouts which last about an hour to an hour and a half.

You could also make bean dips with canned beans thrown in the blender. I like to make a kidney bean dip by blending a can of kidney beans, tomato paste, chili powder, onion, cumin, and red bell pepper and a splash of water to get it going in the blender. Have it with some raw veggies or throw it in a tortilla with some fresh tomato and lettuce.

Sometimes I soak raw softer grains like buckwheat groats overnight and eat them as a sort of crunchy "granola" with some berries and banana. I like to have a slow digesting higher protein food along with fruit for breakfast. The fruit gives me energy and the grain or nut or bean gives me more staying power and keeps the blood sugar even.
I know buckwheat groats can be hard to find, but even old fashioned oats will work. I have soaked those in cold plant milk and add raisins or dates, sesame seeds or walnuts, some cinnamon and have a nice cold breakfast that way too.

Dried fruit can be calorific and eaten throughout the day. Cheaper dried fruits would be stuff like cranberries, dates, raisins, coconut, sometimes banana chips. Full fat plant milks can be helpful too, especially soy milk.

I had to put on a LOT of weight myself to get healthy, and it is very doable, but I had to be flexible with my vegan food choices. Often liquids/smoothies were a good choice because you can pack a lot of calories in them and not feel stuffed after drinking them. They tend to be less intimidating than hoards of roughage or grains lol.
LuciBow likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Vegan as f**k

Almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, walnuts, dried coconut etc are a great snack.

Raisins, currents, sultanas can also provide much needed energy.

Soya beans and lentils are a great source of protein but I guess they do need minimal cooking.
LuciBow likes this.
#7 Old 07-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Thankyou for the suggestions and help, friends. Gonna eat a lot of nuts and try to make more smoothies
#8 Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Canned beans are great on green salads, or mixed with dressing to make a bean salad/relish thing. Look up recipes for Texas caviar - this is a bean salad that is usually eaten with tortilla chips or Fritos. Sandwiches are always good too - good high protein fillings include veggie turkey, nut butters, chickpea salad, or store-bought baked tofu.

Overnight oats are a great way to make oats without cooking - there are tons of recipes online, but a personal favorite is this one:

Peanut Butter Cup Overnight Oats
makes 1 serving

INGREDIENTS

2 and 1/2 tbsp creamy or crunchy peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup plain or vanilla vegan yogurt, or more almond or soymilk
1/3 cup almond or soymilk
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 - 1 tbsp cocoa powder, to personal taste preference
1/2 tsp sugar, optional (not needed if serving with banana)
Optional: vegan chocolate chips, banana

DIRECTIONS

In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, vanilla extract, and salt.

Add in the yogurt, milk, oats, cocoa powder, and optional sugar.

Stir well and make sure the peanut butter is mashed in thoroughly.

Transfer the mixture into a small jar or sealed container.

Place in the fridge for at least an hour or until oats are completely softened.

Store overnight oats in the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve topped with sliced banana and chocolate chips, if desired.
#9 Old 07-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Try protein powder in your smoothies. I really like the Sunwarrior brand "Warrior Blend" product myself. You need some oomph, not just fruits and veggies (carbs). It may seem like a lot of money to buy a tub of it, but it really comes out to about a $1 a serving (1 scoop), and you get between 17-20 grams of protein depending on which flavor you buy if you got with Sunwarrior...for the amount of protein you get it really is cheap. And it will help you gain muscle if you put it in a post workout smoothie, which will cause you to gain weight.

Good luck!

Tags
advice , calories , diet , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page