Canned vs Dry Beans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Beginner

Besides the sodium content, is there a nutritional difference in buying canned beans versus cooking them yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Beginner

my packaged dry black beans have more vitamins and minerals listed on the label than my canned black beans, but i suspect that might just be because the canned beans didn't include those nutrients in the analysis or something, rather than that they don't have them.

if there's a difference, i doubt it's as great as between fresh and canned veggies.
#3 Old 07-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Beginner

Thanks. I've always just bought canned beans because they are faster to prepare and more conveinant. But after noticing how much sodium was in the canned beans, I've been attempting to cook all my beans myself. Not too bad, I just have to plan ahead a bit more. I was just wondering if there are more benefits to buying dry vs canned.
#4 Old 07-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Beginner

There's the flavor.... I think beans cooked from dried beans taste better. We've been cooking beans in our crock pot. It works great and is no trouble at all.
#5 Old 07-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

Crockpots are great for beans. Remember to not add any salt or salty seasoning until the beans are fully cooked.
#6 Old 07-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Beginner

Mmmmm....stuff good:beans~snaeb:good stuff....mmmmM

Personally, I think there is a noticeable differance between the two, in both texture and flavor. Canned beans are somewhat mushy and overwhelmed by salt {have to admit the only canned beans I've ever prepared meals with are black beans though}, I'm sure there are low-sodium products out now but it's been a few years since I've used canned products. Imo, there is no benefit in buying canned beans unless you are preparing for the Apocalypse.

BTW: I know some people like to strain the liquid after the initial cooking of beans because it might help to de-gas the beans but you loose a lot of minerals by doing this, try adding a potato, tbsp of arrowroot or baking powder instead.

MeMe
#7 Old 07-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Banned

Dried beans will last a heck of a long time if you keep them sealed up.

I think one advantage to canned beans is that they are easier to measure in advance while I have yet to figure out how much dried beans will puff when cooked.
#8 Old 07-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurialMe View Post

BTW: I know some people like to strain the liquid after the initial cooking of beans because it might help to de-gas the beans but you loose a lot of minerals by doing this, try adding a potato, tbsp of arrowroot or baking powder instead.

MeMe

Not to mention that liquid tastes yummy! I love to soak bread in bean broth. Mmmm!

I must have eaten enough beans that my digestive system is used to them, because they rarely make me fart now. Either that, or the slow-cook method breaks those enzymes down.
#9 Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Beginner

I like using dried beans, for my soups like minestrone, but I dont like all the time it takes to cook them, so I might switch to canned for that.
#10 Old 07-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

Not to mention that liquid tastes yummy! I love to soak bread in bean broth. Mmmm!

Yeah, some folks call it pot likker!

Quote:

I must have eaten enough beans that my digestive system is used to them, because they rarely make me fart now. Either that, or the slow-cook method breaks those enzymes down.

I don't have a problem with gas either but you know some people think beans and think FARTS!

shagginabit - If you are in a rush just soak the beans overnight, the beans keep their shape and generally keep their skins intact. Add a pinch or two of arrowroot or baking soda {if you have that gas problem}, if the foamy looking arrowroot or baking soda bother you, just remember to drain and rinse before you eat or decide to cook them.

MeMe
#11 Old 07-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Beginner

I prefer canned. I do buy bulk lentils though. The canned beans I buy generally have sea salt added to them. I like the taste of sea salt so I do not mind it being added.
#12 Old 07-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

Dried beans will last a heck of a long time if you keep them sealed up.

I think one advantage to canned beans is that they are easier to measure in advance while I have yet to figure out how much dried beans will puff when cooked.

Most beans swell up a little more than twice their size after soaking and/or cooking.
#13 Old 07-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Beginner

I remember Soilman once posted that the dry beans have more nutients retained than the beans in the can.
#14 Old 07-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Beginner

I don't know about nutritional content (although fitday.com, which is free, might have some insight) but hummus made from canned chickpeas is nowhere near as good as hummus made from chickpeas cooked from dry. It's not just the salt, but also the citric acid they seem to put in canned chickpeas that I don't like.

That said, I have a couple of cans of canned beans in my cupboard for when I just don't have time (or for when it's unbelievably hot, like now).
#15 Old 07-23-2004, 06:11 AM
Beginner

I always use canned beans because I'm impatient and also lazy.
#16 Old 07-23-2004, 06:15 AM
Beginner

I buy dried lentils, but I used canned for everything else-I just rinse them really well before I use them.
#17 Old 07-23-2004, 06:22 AM
Beginner

I only have dry beans. But then I get all crabby when I realize that I want beans (now!) and I'm gonna have to wait a day or even just a few hours (fast soaking) for my beans to be ready. I need to buy some cans to have on hand.
#18 Old 07-23-2004, 06:37 AM
Beginner

Canned beans have a lot of preservatives. I'm not supposed to feed them to my bird b/c of all the preservatives in them...made me think twice about eating them myself.
#19 Old 07-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Beginner

*runs to pantry to look at bean label*

Water, beans, sea salt. Nope, no preservatives here. I only buy organic canned beans, though. Maybe the mass market canned beans have more preservatives?
#20 Old 07-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Beginner

As far as I know, if you are in the U.S. the FDA requires a certain amount of preservatives in canned food. Perhaps I'm wrong though...
#21 Old 07-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Beginner

#22 Old 07-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:

There's the flavor.... I think beans cooked from dried beans taste better. We've been cooking beans in our crock pot. It works great and is no trouble at all.

Oh I agree with this; dry beans are far superior in taste. I have the prblem of forgetting to soak them the night before I ned them though.
#23 Old 07-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Beginner

I never soak beans. They take twice as long to cook, but I still find it easier and they taste fine.
#24 Old 07-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Hmmmm....I didn' know you could do that. Thanks!
#25 Old 07-23-2004, 02:27 PM
bad
Beginner

hmmm how exactly do we cook dry beans??? probobly just be being kinda but if any one could message me with the steps and directions thks a bunch! p.s. canned beans are ok but i have bought some dryed one if only i could fingured out how to cook them
#26 Old 07-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Beginner

canned, because every time I cook beans, I burn them!
#27 Old 07-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancNSpin View Post

Canned beans have a lot of preservatives. I'm not supposed to feed them to my bird b/c of all the preservatives in them...made me think twice about eating them myself.

All of the organic beans i buy are preservative free. They consist of, beans, water, and sea salt.
#28 Old 07-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad View Post

hmmm how exactly do we cook dry beans??? probobly just be being kinda but if any one could message me with the steps and directions thks a bunch! p.s. canned beans are ok but i have bought some dryed one if only i could fingured out how to cook them

I think the easiest way is to use a crock pot. The night before, put the beans in a covered container with about twice as much water as beans. That morning, change the water, and throw the beans in the pot with carrots, onions, or whatever but no salt. Cover the beans with about a half-inch of water. Ignore for 8-12 hours, and come back to wonderfully soft beans.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page