Homemade Soy Milk & Tofu Help Needed!! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Homemade Soy Milk & Tofu Help Needed!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I followed a really good soy milk/tofu recipe on YouTube and the first time it came out perfect. Since then I am having problems making soy milk and the soy milk won´t coagulate at all. I have been using a lime/water combo as the coagulant and I´ve read that it is down on the list, that calcium sulfate is the best. Where I live in central Mexico, Nagari is not easy to come by. Here are my direct questions...

1. Could my cheap/crappy blender be affecting the quality of soy milk I am making thus making the tofu process impossible? The soy milk separates a lot before it boils and it doesn´t stay "milky", it get very grainy. The quality of the beans look really good so I don´t think it is the beans.

2. Could I possibly not be stirring the soy milk enough while it is heating? I saw some videos where people barely stir the soy milk before it boils.

3. Does anyone have a sure-fire method to make large quantity batches in a large tofu mold?

The reason this is so important to me is that I work at a vegetarian orphanage in central Mexico and tofu down here is very expensive to buy so I need to learn to make 200-500 blocks (130 grams each more or less - 4.5 ounces) for the kids to eat here EACH WEEK!!!

Here is the website of the orphanage:

www.Tashirat.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought I was going the "healthier" route by using limes and water, but this week I am ordering a bag of calcium sulfate to see how it goes. I have read mixed review about it.

If we an learn to make tofu here, the kids can also turn it into a mini-business and possibly supply a nearby affluent community´s health food stores, which is a huge bonus for them. They got really exited when I made my first batch, and for the life of me the past 3 out of the last 15 I have tried have come out. I have been very scientific about the approach, to try to figure out what variable I changed and I have it down to the blender (maybe) and the better quality beans I bought.

Thank you so much for your time.

Chris

The recipe I am following is listed below.

How to Make Tofu
1. Make Soymilk
· Soak soybeans overnight (up to 2 days maximum – mínimum 6 hours)
· In a blender, put 1 1/2 cups soaked beans to 2 1/2 cups of water and blend well so all beans are properly pulverized
· Strain the milk at this stage with cheesecloth or with a juice strainer to make the process faster if you don´t want the okara.

Put strained milk into a soup pot.
·

Bring the soymilk to a boil being mindful to stir every few minutes so solids don´t form at the bottom of the pot.

2. Make Coagulant Mixture (as you are making soymilk)
· Coagulant mixture = per ¼ kilo of pre-soaked beans, ½ cup water & 2 tablespoons of lemon juice

3. Make Tofu
· After the soymilk is brought to a boil, remove from heat and let it sit
for 3 minutes.
· Add half of the coagulant mixture and stir through for 1 minute.
· Put the spoon down and stop the spinning motion of the milk and let it sit for 2 mins.
· Pour in the rest of the coagulant, stir in a gentle back and forth motion, making sure the coagulant gets to all parts.
· Once you start seeing little lumps appear cover the pot for 20 minutes.
·

The pressing process I have down. The rest I am messing up somewhere.

·

Tags
homemade , milk , soy , tofu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page