VeggieBoards banner

Chipotle Will Give You a Free Burrito if You Try Its New Sofritas Menu

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  VeggieMonsta 
#1 ·

Mark your calendars: Chipotle is about to give away more free burritos. To promote its new organic tofu filling, dubbed "Sofritas," Chipotle has declared that ordering a Sofritas item on Monday, Jan. 26, will earn you a free burrito, bowl, tacos order, or salad of your choice if you come back in the next month. Just show up to any location in the U.S. or Canada, present your receipt showing the Sofritas purchase, and you'll get hooked up with a free meal between Jan. 27 and Feb. 28. Even better, Chipotle will throw in the guac with your redeemable item, too.

Chipotle rolled out its vegan Sofritas option-which it describes as "organic tofu from Hodo Soy that we shred and then braise with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos, and a blend of aromatic spices"-nationwide in March 2014. As of July, Sofritas made up just 3.5 percent of entree sales in restaurants, Chipotle co-CEO Steve Ells said on the second-quarter earnings call. Sofritas didn't come up again in the more recent third-quarter call, so it's hard to know if sales have improved since then.
Read the rest here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...tem_and_use_the_receipt_to_get_something.html

I absolutely love the Sofritas option and I'm happy to see they're promoting it. Have you tried it yet? Now's your chance! :D

See less See more
#5 ·
I hate cilantro, it's the bane of many vegan restaurant foods for me-so is avocado.
I can't find if these have cilantro, only "aromatic spices". All spices are aromatic!. I'm okay with some coriander seeds, but not any of it's green leaves. To me, cilantro tastes like strong soap, not just soap but strong soap.

Anyone know if there's cilantro in these?
How about cumin? I'm okay with a little cumin, but not so much that's it's distinct.

Honestly I don't like Chipotle, but would love a good restaurant option. I love Moe's but it's far. They've got good tofu

#8 ·
My boyfriend thinks cilantro tastes like soap, it's a genetic thing. I LOVE cilantro.

According to their website: Organic Tofu (Soybeans , Calcium Sulfate, Water), Roasted Tomatoes, Onions, Bell and Poblano Peppers, Chipotle Chile, Rice Bran Oil, Cumin, Garlic, Oregano, Black Pepper, Tomato Paste, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt.

I don't think it's too cumin-y. I'm sure chipotle will let you try a sample before you commit to the meal.

#11 ·
I just had a sofrito bowl.
"where's the tofu?" (for those who remember the classic Wendys commercial :laugh:
It was a sauce like stuff they poured over the plain white rice (cause no cilantro) with teeny bits of dry shredded -- I guess it was tofu. Really could have been anything, it just tasted like the packeted taco seasonings.

Makes me miss Moes so much! It's like Chipotle, but everythings better. And they have marinated cubed tofu that's really good!

I think what I hate most about Chipotle is that cater to the deception of humane meat.
It was really busy and every order had cheese and/or sour cream

#17 ·
I can't say I've ever had it. Red onions are my favorite! Tomato, garlic, cumin, chili powder, lime, done. I've got 4 avocados sitting on the counter right now. :)

I did though, I put cilantro in my smoothie.

#21 ·
I went back today and they were sold out!
I didn't particularly like it, it's like tofu for those who don't like tofu! I barely had any pieces bigger than pea size! And they were like dried!
I LOVE tofu, all kinds but frozen, and was pretty disappointed in their "tofu-sauce"
But any, really glad about it!
Chipotle is just stuff I make when I throw rice and beans together with veggies. Not impressed. Maybe ours isn't as good as others. Like our Subway is far better than others. I'm disappointed when I go to others.

#25 ·
We don't have many options here in Fort Worth, TX, so we love Chipotle! We didn't get to go last week when they launched it, but we went yesterday during the Super Bowl. It was pretty spicy, but still tasted really good. What was surprising to us was how much it resembled meat in its appearance. Coming from a meat-eating background, the seasoning reminded us of taco meat also.

#26 · (Edited)
Tried Chipolte for the first time today. So disappointed. The ingredients looked "fresh", especially in comparison to other fast food places. I liked that the food was less greasy than other taco/burrito joints, but the food is SOOO salty. The chips were inedible (not even sure if vegan come to think of it)'cause of the salt. The sofritas was so bland, but stalty. The hot sauce tasted like ketchup to me. No reason to go there again.

The sofritas and tortilla alone was 1000mg of sodium. My total order had almost 3000mg. No wonder it was inedible.

#27 · (Edited)
I saw this and thought of this thread :shifty:

#29 ·
I get the bowl, and always have leftovers for the next day. My issue is that it is high in sodium, but that is typical for Mexican style food. I just went to their site, and my typical order would be a bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, tomato salsa, green tomatilla salsa, guacamole, and romaine lettuce. This is 615 calories, 30 grams of fat. Sodium 1430 mg, protein 15 gms, 24 gms fiber. Leave off the guac (no way!)and save 230 calories and 22 grams of fat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.