seitan? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-29-2014, 08:00 AM

seitan?

I am slowly going back to eating completely veggie again. I need to because I feel better eating that way.
Okay, sorry for the long winded post.
Back to the reason I posted. I want to make some seitan, I haven't made it in years and when I did I just used WW flour. I have been reading that it easier to use vital wheat gluten. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks any advice is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM

I use gluten. I understand gluten is the protein part of flour so I don't think whole wheat flour would make good seitan

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein
#3 Old 10-31-2014, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't make it often, but when I do I just use vital wheat gluten which is very easy to work with. I found this particular article very helpful in how to prepare seitan from vwg:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...erfect-seitan/

I use way less soy sauce than any recipe calls for since it is so loaded with sodium. Sometimes I leave it out altogether and up my use of low sodium vegetable broth. I also use tomato paste in my dough which gives it a rich flavor and color. You just need a few tablespoons of it. I use very little oil (less than most recipes) but do use a little. I like to bake my seitan in the oven after cutting the dough into pieces and it seems to have the texture of chicken nuggets (and similar taste). I have never had success simmering it as it always gets too soggy.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 AM

Thanks both for your input. I think I'll make some this weekend.
CV: I made seitan years ago with whole wheat flour it took a lot of time and a lot of rinsing. To get the gluten. I don't think I'll do it that way now
#5 Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

I've made seitan many, many times, each a different way> always with wheat gluten though. Bob's Red Mill.
First I felt kneading made it tough. Then I figured I should bake it. Then I realized as the onegreenplanet link describes that a few minutes of kneading followed by a good rest worked best.
Here's my favorite method, loosely based on this recipe:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/double...ckpea-cutlets/

I follow the ingrediants, but roll the seitan into a log and slice 8 oblong pieces. They will double in size when done.
I dredge the cutlets in besan flour (or just reg flour) and sautee in some olive oil both sides. I heat enough water to cover the cutlets and add Better than Boullion NO chicken base.
I add the broth after they're just browned and barely simmer, turning when the liquid just starts to reduce, and let simmer till the broth thickens into a gravy. Oh yeah, cover the pan.
You need to watch. You can boil some potatoes While they're cooking, or prepare some greens and rice.
They come out just like country fried steak with gravy--well at least what I think of is country fried steak. Tender and toothsome
#6 Old 11-01-2014, 04:35 AM

Thanks,sounds delish. I'm probably making it Sunday. I'm excited to try it again.
You all were very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page