VeggieBoards banner

Benefits of Eating Banana PEELS!

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  folsomjulie 
#1 ·

did you know there are benefits to eating the peels of bananas? i give you a run down of the health benefits and show you the weird way i eat bananas. from antioxidant power to weight loss to eyesight, eating banana peels can give you the boost you need.

Featured videos:
The Veganizer!: http://goo.gl/PPWnfR
What I Eat In A Day As A Raw Vegan: http://goo.gl/sdJHg3
How to Get Thin, Fit, and Toned in Four Easy Steps!: http://goo.gl/VzeWdI

#8 ·
ha! best response ever

Finally, another banana peel eater (musaphagic corticatarian?)
My banana eating can frighten people, I have a razor sharp 'banana knife'.
I cut off the stem end and eat the white bit, then I start cutting a slice from the whole banana, grab it with my teeth, and flick the knife through just missing the tip of my nose :p

If the banana peel has a very astringent or pine sap feel then its not ripe enough.
yaya! I'm not alone! your way sounds super hardcore!

I haven't tried banana peels, but I do eat the peels of organic mangos and kiwis. I have no idea if there is any special health aspects (or harm) to doing that but I just like the texture of it and how it makes me feel full and satisfied. I haven't keeled over yet so it must be ok?
sounds fine to me! i eat kiwi skin too!

I eat kiwi peels too. A bit like french kissing a cat but the texture becomes nice after a few times.
I thought the majority of people ate mango peels, just like apples.
best description ever...

Maybe most people do eat mango peels? IDK. I didn't know anyone else around here that eats them, but when I was eating a whole mango once at my in laws, they all thought that was the strangest thing, eating the peel. Good to know others do it. :)

LOL about the kiwis.
we can weird people out together

The peels and of most fruits and vegetables are good for you. That's where a lot of the antioxidants are in order to protect the food. So eating the banana peel makes sense. I'll have to check and see what peels, if any, are toxic.

I never considered eating the mango peel. It would definitely make eating mango easier.
good info ;)

#3 ·
Finally, another banana peel eater (musaphagic corticatarian?)
My banana eating can frighten people, I have a razor sharp 'banana knife'.
I cut off the stem end and eat the white bit, then I start cutting a slice from the whole banana, grab it with my teeth, and flick the knife through just missing the tip of my nose :p

If the banana peel has a very astringent or pine sap feel then its not ripe enough.

#7 ·
The peels and of most fruits and vegetables are good for you. That's where a lot of the antioxidants are in order to protect the food. So eating the banana peel makes sense. I'll have to check and see what peels, if any, are toxic.

I never considered eating the mango peel. It would definitely make eating mango easier.

#9 ·
Banana peels are especially good at storing all of the fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides that we tend to use to maximize production and which are to be found in the water table, rain, and soil of even so-called "organic" farms.

Eating banana peels is a very efficient way of ingesting those substances.

#10 ·
And nobody writes that Banana peels are extremely dangerous and poisonous unless you are 100% sure they didn't apply a mixture of poison on them.

What they do is cut down green bananas on the other side of the world and then pack them in packages so they get good for eating on the road and that's why they are spraying them with god knows what.

This is the reason why I don't really like bananas overall, but eating peels is crazy. You guys are lucky or you are 100% sure you eat non sprayed bananas.

#11 ·
Over 40 years ago, I worked harvesting bananas. Before the unripe bananas were exported, they were kept in a large store. I was told that arsenic was sprinkled in the store to kill any rodents that managed to break in and I have no reason to disbelieve what I was told. I never eat banana skins.

#14 ·
I too was grossed out eating banana peels at first. The after taste really does take getting used to. After awhile, the taste kind of grew on me and was not too bad. The health benefits are amazing, feel energized, skin looks like it’s glowing, and helps
with keeping me regular :)

Just like other forum members stated,just make sure the bananas are organic and free from pesticides,other wise may be doing more harm than good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.