VeggieBoards banner

Let's Talk PBJ

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Just Love 
#1 ·
I don't like peanut butter jelly sandwiches. I don't know why I just can't stand them. This hatred for PBJ started last year when I was so poor I was couch surfing on different people's couches every night. Some of these people didn't have a lot of money either.

So I use to eat PBJs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I know it doesn't sound very healthy, but I had nothing else on hand. Now I look at PBJs and find them disgusting. They give me this gag reflex that I can't describe.

What about you? Is there a food you can't stand now after eating it to much or to often?

Then again on a side note, if there is one nut I cannot stand to eat, it's a peanut, raw out of the shell or even in those preckaged with the salt or other seasonings. They make me want to gag eating them every time.

#2 ·
What about you? Is there a food you can't stand now after eating it to much or to often?
Some years ago, I was doing a lot of shift work - I did shift work for 2 weeks at a time, followed by another 6 weeks of 12-hour days, including weekends. The projects were horrible. I was doing work for which I had not really been trained, asked to do some things that were reflective of poor teamwork, and just generally put in a nasty position. Because the whole team was away from home and we could not get out to get food, they catered in lunch every day. This meant I had a nice long chat with the guy in charge of the catering, to the point of writing down restaurants and detailed lists of what I could eat. (Oh - and it was an area where there were limited food options, too.) The catering guy, God bless him, made sure I had something for lunch every single day without exception, even if he had to make a special trip. I did get a little weary of Chipotle bean burritos but I managed.

Dinner was another matter. Practically the only place near my hotel room where I could eat was... Pizza Hut. Yep, Pizza Hut. I ate a LOT of personal size veg pizzas with no cheese. A LOT of them. I can still taste them and feel the texture of the crust in my mouth... I love pizza, but I have hardly been able to eat Pizza Hut since then. I think it's because of the horrible situation I was in at that time, far more than the quality of the pizza.

Wow, had not thought of this in so long!

#3 ·
PBJ: the food of the gods! :laugh:

#7 ·
Potatoes and corn for me. One winter my dad and I were super poor and that's like all we ate. I like potatoes, and I like corn, but I cannot eat them together ever again.

#9 ·
There's nothing wrong with not liking certain foods, either because they've become associated with a bad memory or experience, or because you just don't like them. So long as there are still plenty of foods you enjoy which keep you in good health, what of it? Eat the foods you love which are good for you, live long, and prosper!

I try off-and-on to develop a taste for cilantro, but at this point, I don't think it will ever happen. I do like peanuts, but peanut butter really doesn't have a very appealing texture. There are other nut butters, but they're very expensive and you might not like those either.

#12 ·
Couscous. I went through a period of depression and really bad panic attacks, and for a while, the only thing I could eat without vomiting was couscous cooked in stock. Eventually, I got sick of it too. This was in 2009, and I think I've had couscous no more than 3 times since then, and I couldn't even finish eating it.

I've never had a peanut butter jelly sandwich.

#14 ·
When I first went vegetarian I was in seventh grade and the only vegetarian option at lunch was a pb&j. So I ate it every single day for lunch for an entire year. I guess I was just young and didn't really know what else to do. I already got bullied at school, so taking my lunch was really intimidating for me. I didn't eat lunch at all in high school because I got to where I couldn't eat pb&j at all anymore and I was afraid to take my lunch.

It was seriously about five years after seventh grade before I could eat pb&j at all. And another five before I liked it again. This past summer I went through this insane love affair with the stuff though. It was like meeting up with an old friend again - I forgot how good the sandwiches could be. I think I just had bad memories of being picked on at school that got wrapped up with the sandwich and I think it was that more than the taste that I was having problems with.

#16 ·
I starved myself for years and peanut butter (or any nut/seed butter or whole nut) was on my list of unsafe and unallowed foods. Then I went through periods of profound bingeing when my weight got extremely low and I would eat so much peanut butter I would be sick for days. It was all or none with it for a very long time. Even in recovery I was afraid to have it around because it would still trigger massive binges. Finally over the last few weeks I bought some peanut butter and have found that I can put a dollup on some toast and put the rest away and eat it and enjoy it and forget about it. I haven't had to throw it away and haven't found a need to pick at it or think about it. This is a HUGE step for me and one I am proud of. I stopped restricting at all and just try to eat in a balanced way but not overly controlled. I have a big desire to be normal with food and am trying to accept my body at a healthy place now.

Many years ago when I was a teenager my Mom and I lived in a one bedroom apartment over a garage and I slept on the floor in a sleeping bag for a year. There was no room for more than a single bed in that little apartment, not even a couch. We had five cats too. Even though my Mom had a PhD she was overqualified for jobs and turned down and it took her over a year from the time she earned her degree to find a decent teaching position. I got a job to help out but we were tight on money for some time. We ate a lot of canned foods and I still don't think I can ever eat a canned vegetable again, aside from tomato paste or sauce I use in cooking. In my first apartment I practically lived on ramen noodles while struggling through college. That's another one I don't care for. And frozen dinners. I used to hate to cook years ago and would just buy seven frozen dinners for the week lol, and a box of cereal and milk. I won't go near frozen dinners or cold processed cereal now, though to challenge my eating disorder I have had a few boxes of vegan friendly cold cereal on rare occasion. Still tastes like cardboard and is not the least bit filling for me, even the granola types.

#17 ·
When I was a kid I ate so many banana chips that I threw up. Now I can't stand anything about them, their scent, texture, look. YUCK!

However, I LOVE PB&J. I haven't ever had an experience with them like you did, but I am sure if I did I would have similar feelings. I hope you have found yourself in a better situation!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.