VeggieBoards banner

Grocery Store Question

3K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  epski 
#1 ·
In your grocery store are organic items kept together or are they kept with like items that are not organic. For example - something like organic ketchup - would you find it in the same area as the Hunts and Heinz? Would Amy's Soups be kept in the same vicinity as Cambells? I'm curious. I haven't been to a "normal" grocery store in a long time.

I'm asking because I don't like where they are keeping thest items in our store, and I didn't want to complain unless it is abnormal for the items to be kept where they are (currently with the Atkins food stuffs....ugh). I'd like this stuff to get exposure and sales - but where it is, it's unlikely people will see it.

#3 ·
it depends on what chain you go to. at the kroger's i used to frequent they kept most of it all together. i would just go in and ask. "hi! i'm a new customer. i love your store, and i just want to know where i can find a, b, and c." trust me, they'll help you out!

#4 ·
the stores in our area generally keep what they deem to be "health" food items all together in one section. organic produce is in a seperate section from the non-organics, but still in the produce area. canned or dry goods that are organic, veg*n, or low-carb are all in the same aisle. tofu, veggie meats, soy cheeses etc. are all in a fridge section in the produce department. and there is a section in the frozen aisle where "health" stuff is...like Amy's products.

#5 ·
I guess I'm just asking because I think the stuff would sell better if it was with like items. Amys soup being where all the other soup is etc. I don't know how other stores do it though - so I don't want to go making suggestions if all other grocery stores have a special section for organic stuff (this is an all-purpose grocery store - and they are just now starting to carry some organic and vegan items).

#6 ·
i'm pretty sure they divvy the stuff up. i think they know it's a "select" market that they are appealing to and want to make it easier for us to find what we're looking for. but i can see your point. if stuff was all in the same sections, it may gain in popularity, since many non-veg*ns don't even venture near the health food aisles.

#8 ·
The store I frequent has recently changed their setup to be more like it is at Kreeli's shop. They keep like organic "health" items in one area near their traditonal counterparts. For instance, all of the Amy's soups and Annie's boxed mixes are in a mini section in the same aisle that the Campbell's soups and Lipton rice mixes are one. It's convenient, but it is also startling to compare prices between the organic items and the traditonal items. Fortunately, the Wild Oats across the street sells most of these items for a fraction of the cost.

#9 ·
my main store (which is an affiliate of shaw's) has a separate section for organic/health food stuff like canned soups, soy milks, cereals etc. it even has a cold and freezer section to it so that organic frozen veggies are there. for produce everything is together and organic broccolli wil be right next to regular. unfortunately, yes, they have put the atkins crapola right in the health food section too.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

the stores in our area generally keep what they deem to be "health" food items all together in one section. organic produce is in a seperate section from the non-organics, but still in the produce area. canned or dry goods that are organic, veg*n, or low-carb are all in the same aisle. tofu, veggie meats, soy cheeses etc. are all in a fridge section in the produce department. and there is a section in the frozen aisle where "health" stuff is...like Amy's products.
I went grocery shopping with my sister at a new Acme in Bucks, and found that the health food section was labeled "New Age." We didn't know whether to be amused or angry.

Terra

#14 ·
safeway has them mixed.

they ****ing suck though. They will overcharge you and sell you organic produce that is on the verge of rotting. I usually go to winco and trader joes. They too have them mixed, but winco's selection of organic isn't so hot.

ebola

#16 ·
Stop and Shop here has a separate area for frozen items, packaged items, tofu, veggie burgers, non-dairy milks, "natural" cereals, energy bars, and "natural" snacks. Organic produce is mixed with regular produce. The low carb crap is near the supplements and OTC medications.

Some of the smaller Stop and Shops don't have this at all--the frozen items have a small section in the regular frozen food aisles and there might be a few shelves of natural cereal and non-dairy milk and the tofu and non frozen veggie meats (if any) are in the produce section.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmarie View Post

I guess I'm just asking because I think the stuff would sell better if it was with like items. Amys soup being where all the other soup is etc. I don't know how other stores do it though - so I don't want to go making suggestions if all other grocery stores have a special section for organic stuff (this is an all-purpose grocery store - and they are just now starting to carry some organic and vegan items).
It does make it easier to shop wihen the "health food" is all together, but I've long suspected that that's why many products fail to sell - limited exposure. One of the small chains here just made the switch to this set up (organic cereal next to the Cheerios, etc.) Took me a while to find stuff, but maybe the items will do well.

#18 ·
the store in the town i used to live in had a seperate section for packaged veg and organic foods except fresh fruits and veggies, and my new one has it all mixed together. i must say i like it better when its all together in one section because i don't have to walk past miles of stuff i won't eat. i mostly visit my local health food store, for i have established a good enough relationship with the owner so i get some free samples and a heads up on produce deliveries. for the average consumer, i think the separate area works best. i am confounded by the atkins craze. it only serves to keep the MD's in business.

#21 ·
im in portland oregon, land of hippies and religious cults. within 2 miles of my house i have several coffee shops including a communist coffee shop. there is a vegan grocery store, a vegetarian grocery store and numerous health food stores and coops (makes it easy to be vegan)

at fred meyers (a kroger store) the health foods are generally kept in their own section. its always busy there!

safeway has a small selection of organic foods and tends to put their organic stuff with like items. ie;the amys soup with the campbells.

what i would really like to see is the meat subs being kept near the meat!

interesting article about grocery store marketing techniques:

http://www.bankrate.com/nsc/news/advice/19990402c.asp

#23 ·
shagg i feel for you! having all these veg friendly shops around me was a major reason for me to decide to go from vegetarian to vegan. it makes it really easy! i just couldnt see why i shouldnt take advantage of all these options while i can. if i ever moved to cow town i might have to go back to at least eating dairy.

#25 ·
Yep Kroger has a natural foods section near the produce section that sells some organic products. As for other stores, from what I've seen, organic products are next to non organic in their proper section. Some stores are more "organic friendly" than others though. Just from my observation.

#26 ·
Whole Foods Markets keeps organic and other products side by side the way you describe, dvmarie. My "regular" grocery store keeps most of the organic stuff in its own section of health foods and the like. No Atkins, though. No, that gets to be distributed throughout the store.

Then again, I've noticed more veg*n foods at Ralphs lately, and you can only keep the frozen stuff like vegan "chicken" nuggets next to the other frozen foods. Same for Soy Delicious. So people that never wander into that one aisle do occasionally get a glimpse at vegan foods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.