Chocolate for vegans - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2014, 12:20 AM

Chocolate for vegans

Hello!

I'm making some peanut butter chocolate crisps with fudge, and I found out that some companies produce dark chocolate without milk in it (I'm quite new at this so it was surprising).

I found a brand, Nestle Plaistowe the finest dark, and in the ingredients it doesn't mention any kind of dairy, but when I looked it up online it said that it did contain milk solids. On the packet it definitely doesn't, which is incredibly confusing. The ingredients are sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, emulsifiers (soy lecithin, 476), flavours. Also mentions that it is was made on equipment that processes products containing milk, wheat and tree nuts, and chocolate contains minimum 40% cocoa solids.

Do you think its alright to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 AM

I believe that Nestle is one of the companies less clear on the label. Aside from the questionable policies that take around the world. A company is not reliable for me
#3 Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally I avoid Nestle products for a variety of reasons, whether the product itself is vegan or not.

You might be able to find some decent chocolate bars or ingredients online through a vegan specific store such as this one:

http://store.veganessentials.com/chocolates-c54.aspx

Or this one:
http://www.veganstore.com/category/v...bars-and-boxes

Often times when I use chocolate I use off brand pure cocoa powder, or I buy solid raw cacoa nibs from a Whole Foods Coop. I have ordered chocolate bars from the two above links. A few times I have used ghirardelli brand chocolate bars that did not contain dairy or other animal products on the label but since some of their chocolate does that can be a bit iffy and I haven't taken the time to research this company so for all I know they could have practices as questionable as Nestle. Here is a VB thread about that too:

vegan chocolate chips/ghirardelli

The best bet is to contact the company if you are unsure. I have done this a few times with other products. It is rather frustrating when you see constant changes on labels or they differ between the website and on the package. I have had this happen to me with vitamins that say one thing on the package and another on the website. Or the package label changes every month. I have a sensitivity to sorbitol and I was on one vitamin that did not have sorbitol listed on the package but the next month did.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Kiddvi, where do you live? Based on your spelling of the word "colour," I'm guessing you don't live in the US? That may make a difference - here in the US, I am able to find Vegan chocolate of one form or another with no trouble at all, and the labels are pretty clear for the most part. (I have a dairy allergy, so if there is any dairy in the product, I will know within a couple of days. The only exception is butter in very small amounts - but anything besides that and I get sick.)

By the way, I only worry about it if the product really does contain dairy. If it doesn't contain dairy but is processed on equipment where it is processed, that does not bother me (and it doesn't make me sick). But again, in the US, we generally can rely on labels pretty well. If I ever had the experience you had of looking up ingredients on a website and they do not agree with the label, I would be very concerned.
#5 Old 08-13-2014, 01:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to EdithElaine
Hmmm I'm not sure if I'd trust.

I get dark chocolate from the 'Truly Irresistable' range. Weirdly, some of their dark chocolates do contain milk (says so on the labels)... but the one with hazelnuts & the one with dried cranberries are good I believe. The nuts & cranberries also take the edge off if you're not a huge fan of dark chocolate.

This is the cranberry one...
Dark chocolate (90%), dried sweetened cranberries (10%).
Cranberries is what it is. Dark chocolate made using sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, emulsifier (lecithins, soya) & flavouring. The hazelnut one is much the same.

There may be more vegan products in the range that I don't know about, but these two are all I've seen. They're a little more expensive but also made with 89% Fairtrade ingredients so worth it.

Just Google searched & can't really find anymore info so don't take my word 100%!

Vegetarian of 8 years, newbie vegan.
RawTill4 <3

"May the sun bring you new energy by day,
May the moon softly restore you by night,
May the rain wash away your worries,
May the breeze blow new strength into your being,
May you walk gently through the world & know its beauty all the days of your life".
-Apache Blessing.
#6 Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I just did a little further investigation and found this link about plaistowe dark cooking chocolate. Indeed online it does say it has milk solids in it.

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/nati...king-chocolate

It seems very odd that your package would not have milk solids listed on it. I wonder if this is an error. Are you sure the package is the exact same brand and type/percentage etc as what is described online? It is possible there could be an error either on the package or online. companies change their products all the time and do not always update their websites, or the package updates might be behind, which is why I never cease to check labels (not just on food but clothing and other items). I would definitely call the company and clarify.

Also, as a side note, I found a few links regarding ethical and nonethical companies that sell chocolate. Just thought it might be interesting for someone to look at. Chocolate is one of those controversial foods, much like palm oil and coffee and bananas, due to slave labor, environmental impact etc.

http://www.betterworldshopper.org/chocolate_data.html
http://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/br...uide/?type=126

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I live in Australia so ordering food from the US isn't very convenient. I know that Nestlé isn't a very good company, it was just that this brand was half the price of the only other cooking chocolate that didn't contain milk in it. The other brand was Lindt 70% dark chocolate.

I think the product they show online may be out of date, as the nutrients on the back of the package vary quite a bit from the one online. Either way I think I'll just steer away from this one just to be safe.

I'm sure I can find something in an organic food shop, so I'll keep looking.
#8 Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here is a list someone made of vegan chocolate in Australia.
http://www.unleashed.org.au/communit...pic.php?t=9776

Tags
chocolate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page