How can I make this meal complete? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By theCaityCat

#1 Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 PM

Question How can I make this meal complete?

I've been craving lots of healthy and fresh lately. I just saw a picture of a plate of grilled chicken, broccoli, a sweet potato and wild rice. This is what I want, but obviously without the chicken, and I can't for the life of me think of what I can substitue that is not soy processed or a meat alternative. And I want to keep my meal healthy and balanced. What will make this meal complete?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Chickpeas to add more protein to the meal...?

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

One of the fun things I find about going vegetarian is that it makes you change your perspective on what a "complete" meal is.

We grow up being taught that a meal has to have meat/protein and then some vegetable side dishes but there's no real reason why every meal has to be that way. I've often had a very satisfying dinner of nothing but "side dishes" and it really opens you up to a lot of creative options you've never considered before.

Meat alternatives are popular partially because they help make meals feel complete in the way we're used to but it really isn't necessary. I could easily eat broccoli, sweet potato and wild rice just on their own but if you want to add something maybe some other kinds of vegetables and a veggie gravy? Roasted asparagus is really nice this time of year.

Or as jessandreia suggested some chickpeas or another kind of legume could be nice and filling. You could even do bean burger patties, they're really easy to make with no soy or anything like that: http://plantbasedonabudget.com/recip...-bean-burgers/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

#4 Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Sliced tomatoes to give it some color.
anole likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#5 Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Oryzatarian

When I put the image of that meal in my brain and slapped it with the vegan stick the image that remained was quick oats, chickpea, and herbs dumplings with vegetable soup (to compliment the dumplings), steamed broccoli on wild rice, and a sweet potato. Perhaps with a topping of some sort for the steamed broccoli on wild rice.
I'd figure out the specifics of the dumplings as I made them, I tend to invent reality as I go.
#6 Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Do you want a cutlet kind of food? This is a recipe I love, but I cook it differently:
http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/double...ckpea-cutlets/

I bring about 1 1/2 cups of veg broth (I usually use Better than Boullion no chicken) to a simmer, then add the cutlets. Cover.
Turn after about 5-7 min. and simmer until most broth is absorbed. The remaining broth should be gravy like.
Haven't made this in a while so can't really give times, but it is delicious. When I made as directed they came out pretty dry, and rather tough.

Or just season some beans and mix it up! I've been using the no chicken base since stocking up at iherb.com. Beans simmered in broth until absorbed is really good.
#7 Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by icflyinmonkies View Post
I've been craving lots of healthy and fresh lately. I just saw a picture of a plate of grilled chicken, broccoli, a sweet potato and wild rice. This is what I want, but obviously without the chicken, and I can't for the life of me think of what I can substitue that is not soy processed or a meat alternative. And I want to keep my meal healthy and balanced. What will make this meal complete?!?!
Dessert would make this meal complete... While all these nice people have helped you, I ate everything but the chicken.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Last edited by Purp; 07-15-2014 at 11:36 PM.
#8 Old 07-16-2014, 03:21 AM

What about some lentils? I like Coconut Lentils. Plenty of protein, easy, and tasty.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#9 Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps something with nuts? That would add protein and healthy fats, and taste good. Or, as the others suggested, some sort of legume would be nice. Hummus perhaps? I imagine it would taste lovely with the rest of the meal. Or maybe you could make some sort of chili-style thing with sweet potato, kidney beans and tomatoes? By this time you've probably had dinner already, hope it was nice!
#10 Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 PM

To me, the meal was complete when the chicken was removed. I might steam some carrots too because I love the combo of steamed broccoli and carrots, but I wouldn't feel the need to replace the chicken with anything.
#11 Old 07-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree there is no need to "replace" the chicken. I would be stuffed after eating the rice, broccoli and sweet potato! But if you want to make it a bit more substantial, you could add some sautéed mushrooms and onions with a bit of lemon juice and pepper to the broccoli, and perhaps a topping of nuts and cranberries on the sweet potato. Another creative idea: lightly toasted, chopped pecans added to just about anything will give it a kind of sweet, rich flavor, and add a bit of fat and protein. I can't remember how I discovered this some years ago.

If you really do want to add a "main" component to the meal, though, one of my favorite quick and easy entrees is to warm up frozen Sunshine burgers - a veggie burger made of rice, herbs, vegetables and sunflower seeds (no artificial weirdness). The flavor and texture are just wonderful, and it lends itself to a gravy as well. This is not your ordinary veggie burger!
#12 Old 07-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that the meal would be complete without the chicken. To make it more interesting to me and boost protein, I would mash the sweet potatoes with maybe a little fresh pineapple in there (or a can of crushed pineapple), then add some black beans and curry powder to it, and still have the wild rice and broccoli too. Broccoli should be almost half the plate (broccoli in a substantial amount is a good source of calcium and protein as well as other nutrients), then the rice, beans, and sweet potato the other half. Wild rice has a fair amount of nutrition in it too, including protein, ditto with the sweet potato. The mix of potato, vegetable, rice, and bean if added would make this a very well rounded meal full of protein, fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium and a whole host of other nutrients. Chicken is way overrated.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Hey thanks everyone for all these great ideas! Those of you that said the meal would've been fine without a "main" chicken "replacement" are right too. I guess I'm just thinking of that nice lite fresh feeling I used to get when I ate a nice healthy meal of grilled chicken and veggies and rice back when! I actually was not planning this for my dinner, I'm planning for a lunch, and I'm thinking I'll make either a baked quinoa patty to go with it, maybe a zucchini latke if I can bake instead of fry, or mix some cannelini beans with the wild rice? Someone said chickpeas, I just have this "thing" about chickpeas :\ they remind me of hominy and gross me out cause they have this "pop" almost when you bite into one and the hominy thing is that it reminds me of menudo that my family ate when I was growing up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page