is raw tofu safe to eat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Beginner

My son loves eating tofu straight from the package(the water packed kind) which I didn't think anything of until I started wondering if there is bacteria that needs to be cooked off or something. I know it's not like meat or anything but I just want to be safe. Does anyone know if it is okay to eat it like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Yes, "raw" tofu is perfectly safe... and is a misnomer. There is no such thing as raw tofu since the soybeans are cooked during the manufacturing process.

Here's a good, short description of the manufacturing process with a link to the full site following:

"Basic regular tofu is a white, essentially bland, soft product, closely resembling pressed white milk curd. Its production starts with the preparation of soymilk, as described in the previous chapter. Soybean is boiled, then cooled to around 75o C. The thin protein-lipid film (surface scum) formed on the surface of the milk is removed. A coagulant, which consists of a slurry of gypsum powder or a solution of magnesium salts (nigari) is added. Curdling occurs. The free supernatant whey is removed and the curd is transferred to perforated boxes and pressed until a coherent block of curd is obtained. The curd is next immersed in cold running water for several hours, with the purpose of cooling and leaching out excess coagulant and entrapped whey solids. The block is cut to retail-size portions and wrapped for marketing. Fresh tofu is stored, transported and sold as a refrigerated perishable. The analogy between tofu production and cheese manufacture is evident."

http://www.fao.org/docrep/t0532e/t0532e10.htm#9.5.2

Jim
#3 Old 04-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Beginner

Silken tofu is safe. However, sometimes the Chinese style or water packed tofu isn't. Both kinds are fully cooked, but since the Chinese/water-packed kind sits in water there is a chance that bacteria can breed in it--though it's rare. Before eating it, make sure it doesn't smell bad/ off and that there it doesn't have any abnormal discoloration and you should be fine.
#4 Old 04-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Beginner

I've eaten raw tofu for years and nothing came from it disease wise, just a few weird looks.
#5 Old 04-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Beginner

I've eaten water packed tofu raw by the ton for years. In fact I seldom ever cook tofu.

"off" tofu stinks really bad, but mine always lasts ages past the sell by date on the package and keeps a few days in fresh water in the fridge.

I rinse it under a running tap before I eat it.
#6 Old 04-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Beginner

i ususally boil the water packed kind before i use it. i dont know if eating it raw is ok but it just makes me feel better.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#7 Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Beginner

Slices of raw tofu with just a touch of salt on it....

Random story: when my in-laws were visiting us, my MIL somehow decided that since I like tofu so much, I should just eat it straight from the pack with nothing on it (no one would dare do that for chicken or pork but yet for tofu... ). Anyway, I was acting like I wouldn't do it (only for effect, though), and 'finally' I said "okay... you wanna see me eat tofu out of the box, here it is." and I took a slice and ate it! She started to gross out and then she started yelling for my FIL to "Come in here and see what Dee's doing" when he came into the room, she nudged me and said "do it again" so I sliced another slice off and ate it. My FIL said "I can't watch that" and left the room right away and left my MIL's standing there, saying over and over "I CAN'T believe you ate that... I can't BELIEVE you ate that."

Ahhh... fun with the inlaws. There's nothing like it.
#8 Old 04-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Beginner

Lol, Dee.
#9 Old 04-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Beginner

Echh, my dad is raw tofu by the block, he thinks its great. Its safe to eat and everything but I just can't stand the taste. (My dad also eats raw oatmeal, plain cottage cheese, and sour cream on strawberries )
#10 Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Beginner

Hello,

Is tofu so difficult to find in the rest of the world ?

We are located in Thailand and have people asking to ship them tofu by Express mail !!!

How much does tofu cost where you live ?

Thank you.

Bangkok Personal Shopper

#11 Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangkokShopper View Post

Hello,

Is tofu so difficult to find in the rest of the world ?

We are located in Thailand and have people asking to ship them tofu by Express mail !!!

How much does tofu cost where you live ?

Thank you.

Bangkok Personal Shopper

In the US, it is widely available in rwdular grocery stores. I buy mine in an Asian market as I like the texture better.
#12 Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Beginner

In the U.S. it seems to be increasing in popularity. 
I live in NE Ohio and there's a tofu plant in Cleveland! MMMmm fresh!

#13 Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Beginner

I don't like it plain raw.But I do like it when it is blended into smoothies,desserts or tofu ricotta.I have never had a problem.My friend eats it plain raw with a little soy sauce and I've never heard him complain about any illness from it.

#14 Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Beginner

It's safe.

My son loved it plain when he was a baby and a toddler. Now he will still eat it uncooked but only very rarely. He loves it cooked up though now, just like me :D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page