Sugar free breadmaker jam recipes? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Poo Pie Head

Heyo! I have been trying to find a whole foods (other than maybe pectin) recipe for making jam in a bread maker. It does not have to be shelf stable, I can use the freezer and fridge for storage. Has anyone else done this? It seems almost all jam recipes include sugar, or if they don't then they do not have breadmaker instructions or use sucralose or some other nasty chemical.
Is it possible to just put some frozen berries in the breadmaker on the jam cycle and make a spreadable berry condiment, without using pectin (or even agar)? It doesn't need to have the same mouth feel or consistency as regular jam, as far as I am concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM

The result would likely be too runny, but it's certainly possible to make something jam-like by doing that.  If it doesn't need to have the same mouth feel or consistency, the sky's the limit.

Berries have far too much water in them; that's why those other things are in there to thicken them up.  It would be very runny without.

And if you add the thickeners, it definitely wouldn't be sweet enough for most people (even just pureed or mashed berries aren't really very sweet- they tend to be sour rather than sweet).

Sorry you didn't get any replies before.  Hope that helps in some way. :)

#3 Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Poo Pie Head

Thanks for the reply. If I used a lot of pectin and maybe some fruit juice would that help with the thickness and sweetness? I don't mind if my jam isn't all that sweet, as long as it basically tastes like smashed berries and is more or less spreadable. Does anyone have an ideas on how many berries to put in a breadmaker for this? (I have one of those giant ones with the 2 paddles, but I also have a bread pan that makes 2 loaves at a time, so I could make smaller batches of "jam")

#4 Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM

If you tell me one of the recipes you have, I can try to modify it for you.
#5 Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Poo Pie Head

I don't have a recipe, hat is kinda the problem. I have never made jam before, so this is kinda experimental, especially as I just want to use the bread maker to make a sugar free ( well no added sugar anyways) jam like substance. Can you give me some ideas on what to do, just to start out? I cannot believe that there is not a single person out there that hasn't done this with their breadmaker before...
#6 Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKat View Post

I don't have a recipe, hat is kinda the problem.

I don't mean a sugar free recipe.  I mean whatever recipe you found that matches your bread machine.

Or even one that came with your bread machine.

I can try to change a recipe that contains sugar and other things.  But it's important to know things like the absolute volume, and the liquid to solid ratios so I don't tell you to use too much of something and it gets overfilled.

My guess is that it would make a lot of jam, and that overfilling wouldn't be a big problem since it shouldn't boil over... but I could be wrong.

Just putting berries into it, and filling the bucket about 2/3 the way up would probably be OK.

If you have a blender, you might want to get them started by liquefying half of them to start with so it will have a bit more liquid content in the beginning to prevent the berries from burning. 

That's just a guess, but I would be a bit surprised if that didn't work.

#7 Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I'm just amazed that a bread maker also makes jam.
#8 Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Poo Pie Head

Ok' this is what the breadmakers instructions say for making jam.

2cups sugar
2 table spoons low sugar pectin
3 cups strawberry halves.

Could I replace the 2 cups of sugar with blended berries?
#9 Old 01-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I've never heard of jam in a breadmaker either. It seems that sugar has anti-bacterial properties from the sites I've seen.

Would this help?  http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/strawberry-jam-without-sugar/

It does call for low-sugar pectin, which refers to using with low sugar preserves.

I was surprised they didn't call for apple--I know well how much pectin is in apples. My first attempt to use pulp from my juicer was from apples. I got 5 quarts of a very jelled vegetable broth!

If I were to guesstimate, I'd say grate up some raw apple with the berries. Just grated apple, and berries. That has NOT been tested! 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Ok' this is what the breadmakers instructions say for making jam.

2cups sugar
2 table spoons low sugar pectin
3 cups strawberry halves.

Could I replace the 2 cups of sugar with blended berries?

Nope, you can't do that, that would be too much and it might boil over.

Berries are liquid (mostly water- about 92%).

Sugar is a water soluble solid

Sugar will dissolve in mashed berries, and the resultant volume will be a little less.  This is a situation in which 2 + 3 does not equal 5.

Use about four and a third cups TOTAL of halved strawberries (or three cups pureed strawberries TOTAL) for roughly the same volume that the recipe recommends.

Granulated Sugar has a density of about 0.8 grams per ml (Sucrose is 1.59, but there's lots of air and space between the grains in table sugar)

2 cups of sugar = 473.2 ml = 378.5408 grams 

3 cups strawberries (152 g/cup) = 456 grams = 420 grams water & 36 grams other stuff (mostly sugar)

420 grams water & 414 grams of sugar

Total: 420 ml water to 517.5 ml sugar

Roughly 1:1 ratio - when the sugar dissolves, as a rule of thumb it should result in a total volume of roughly the water + 1/2 the sugar.

So, the total volume you want is about 678.75 ml = 2.87 cups (that is, pureed, without air gaps between berries)

Pureed strawberries are about 232 grams per cup

2.87 cups * 232 g/cup = 665.8 g

665.8 g / 152g/cup = 4.38 cups (halved, non-pureed strawberries)

I recommend that you do add pectin, though.  Maybe even increase it to 3 tbsp.  Otherwise it will be very runny.  Sugar helps thicken it by lowering the water content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I've never heard of jam in a breadmaker either. It seems that sugar has anti-bacterial properties from the sites I've seen.

Yes and no.  Bacteria love sugar, but without enough water, the solution becomes highly hypotonic, which dries the bacteria out by sucking the water out of them and kills them.

That's why without sugar, it wouldn't be shelf stable.  She said she wasn't worried about that:

"It does not have to be shelf stable, I can use the freezer and fridge for storage."

So I didn't mention it.  But I'm glad you did, in case anybody reads this thread in the future.

Dear future people: Be careful about making low-sugar Jam or Jelly; it will go bad faster than you can say fermentation.

A practical alternative could be something like Xylitol, though, which should make it more shelf stable.

#11 Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Poo Pie Head

Thanks for all the data! Looks like I will be hunting down some "no sugar needed pectin" and try my hand at a batch in the next few weeks. smiley.gif
#12 Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the data! Looks like I will be hunting down some "no sugar needed pectin" and try my hand at a batch in the next few weeks. smiley.gif

If you can't find no sugar pectin, you could also use Agar.

High acid content of fruits tends to inhibit gelling of Agar, so you might need to find some Lime (you could look for it as pickling lime) to neutralize the citric acid a bit (it would only need a tiny bit).

#13 Old 01-20-2014, 12:24 PM

How about chia seed jam? It's very popular in clean eating circles. I'm not sure about using a breadmaker for it but it's very simple - here's a recipe http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/26/magical-blueberry-vanilla-chia-seed-jam/

I think the actual definition of jam is that it has a certain percentage of sugar in so no-sugar recipes would usually be called fruit spreads.

#14 Old 09-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Question even lower sugar

Can your recipe be made with low- or no-sugar pectin, but with less sugar than you are using, say 1 cup?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page