Do a lot of faux meat products contain mushrooms? New GF is allergic to mushrooms - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 AM

Hi all, I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian.  Recently started dating a great woman who is omni but for whom I'd like to cook and make vegetarian food for.

She is highly allergic to mushrooms.  Her airway can close if she eats them.

I know I can prepare some vegetarian recipes that she'll like where I control each ingredient, but what about some of the faux meat products like faux burgers and Tofurkey?  Do you know if these usually have mushrooms?  I know I can read each box and find out, but I'm looking for a general answer.  Maybe these products all contain them and I don't know?

If I take her to eat at a vegetarian restaurant, do I need to worry about hidden mushrooms?  There's a Loving Hut not too far away.  It's a vegan place with tons and tons of faux meats.  I wonder if they have mushrooms hidden in there.

Just looking for general advice about hidden mushrooms in veg food than I might not have considered.  Giving her anaphylaxis is not a great way to embolden her to try new foods!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Most faux meat products don't have mushrooms in them in my experience, however if her allergy is that severe make sure you always check! Especially at restaurants where you can't just read an ingredients list.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page