Batchelors Super Noodles - are any of these ingredients unsuitable for Vegetarians? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 AM

Hello everybody,

As a kid I used to love Super Noodles, but since going veggie a couple of years ago i've limited myself to Mild Curry and Low Fat Chicken and Herb flavours - both have a 'Suitable for Vegetarians' label on the back of the packet. Thing is, i'm really craving the BBQ Beef flavour which doesn'[t have said label. I've read the ingredients and nothing's jumping out as unsuitable to me though admittedly i'm not the best at understanding the chemical jargon. The ingredients are as follows (taken from the Batchelors website):

Ingredients as served (greatest first): Noodles (Water, Wheat Flour, Palm Oil, Antioxidants (Butylated Hydroxyanisole, Citric Acid, Propyl Gallate)), Dried Glucose Syrup, Salt, Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'-ribunucleotides), Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Yeast Extract (contains Barley), Flavouring, Colour (Turmeric), Malic Acid, Parsley, Maltodextrin, Vegetable Oil, Pepper, Celery, Milk Powder, Wheat Flour.

Is there anything i'm missing here? I've tried contacting Batchelors and their owners Premier Foods, but the contact form they both use is down and they only have email addresses for the media and investors to use.

Thanks for any help,

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Okay, being pathetic and desperate for noodles, I spent half an hour with Dr Google to sort this out. The only ingredient I found that might not be vegetarian is the Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) - as I imagine most people are aware, it can be derived from animals. However, as the specifically labelled 'Suitable for Vegetarians' Mild Curry flavour also contains such, i'd assume that the MSG that Batchelors are using is indeed vegetarian. I probably don't have to point out that i'd and assume are the operative words here - I don't profess to be an expert. But until I manage to get in touch with Batchelors i'm happy with my findings.

Here's a good little resource for those of you who aren't aware of it yet: http://www.vrg.org/ingredients/

I hope this helps some other insane noodle-obsessive smiley.gif

#3 Old 06-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

flavouring could be anything

#4 Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Ah, the glaringly obvious. I was too preoccupied with finding out what all the mystery chemicals were. I usually avoid aaaanything that states 'flavourings' or 'natural flavourings'. Thanks for pointing that out!
#5 Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 AM

Update:

I managed to get in touch with their parent company Premier Foods, who sent me this email:

'Dear Natalie,

Thank you for contacting us regarding Batchelors Super Noodles.

We are pleased to confirm that all Batchelors Super Noodles are suitable for a vegetarian diet.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us and we do hope you will enjoy our wide range of Batchelors Super Noodles.

Kind regards,

Mike Johnson
Consumer Relations Advisor'

So there we go, solved once and for all. smiley.gif
zirpkatze likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page