Storing Mushrooms and Using Up Mushrooms - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM

Two questions one post. There's thrifty for you. And I like to be thrifty so when I buy mushrooms I inevitably buy those 'value' packs of 750g in one go.

Except it's been a bit warmer here in the UK the past few days than of late, so the 'thrifty' 750g pack of 'value' mushies I bought all turned to actual mush before I'd even cooked any of them and so in the composter they went, much to my partners chagrin: "I never got to eat any of them!" quoth he.

Of course I should have intervened a bit quicker to save them or use them up, but that's now by the by, what I want to know is how do you both *store* and *cook* moderately larger quantities of mushrooms?

Any tips or recipes welcome! I'd love any bulk cooking ideas in particular.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 AM

Well in answer to my own thread, the French mushroom multi-purpose 'pate' called Duxelles is probably what I should have knocked up. Most recipes call for butter, but here's a vegan alternative:

http://www.artisanveganlife.com/duxelles-for-everything/

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#3 Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I find they last me a few days or more when they're kept in the refrigerator. I don't wash them until I use them.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to mushrooms. Saute them with onions, salt, and pepper and eat them over baked potatoes, rice, pasta, in a tofu or egg scramble, or add them to pasta sauces. They're good roasted, too.  

#4 Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Well in answer to my own thread, the French mushroom multi-purpose 'pate' called Duxelles is probably what I should have knocked up. Most recipes call for butter, but here's a vegan alternative:

http://www.artisanveganlife.com/duxelles-for-everything/

Oh this looks fantastic, thanks! I have been looking for a recipe like this! I'm making some fancy type appetizers to bring to an event, and this is exactly what I need. I even have truffle oil already. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page