HELP! Vegan Mac and Cheese? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM

Anyone know a good brand that tastes like the cheap stuff out of a box like Kraft? Or perhaps a good recipe? 

~ Kei Graves ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM

This is my favorite recipe: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2011/02/17/baked-macaroni-and-cheese/

It's been a long time since I ate real mac and cheese so I don't know how much it tastes like the real thing, but this stuff seems to satisfy any cravings I ever have for it. I like to put broccoli and spinach in it right before I bake it too.

I feel like it has all the pleasant taste real mac and cheese had without the gross "I should not have eaten that" feeling afterwards.

#3 Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiGraves View Post

Anyone know a good brand that tastes like the cheap stuff out of a box like Kraft? Or perhaps a good recipe? 

http://www.edwardandsons.com/reo_shop_pastas.itml

I like to eat this one. The kids one tastes the cheesest, but they have healthier options too.

You can also find many recipes on vegweb.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4 Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Amy's makes a frozen one that's OK.
#5 Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Amy's makes a frozen one

Unfortunately it's not vegan. It contains milk-derived casein, although I can't figure out why. Casein is used to make melty-stretchy soy cheese. Mac n cheese is saucy, not melty-stretchy. Huh ...

'saucy' and 'melty-stretchy' are of course terms used in advanced culinary science :)

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Quote:
Amy's makes a frozen one

Unfortunately it's not vegan. It contains milk-derived casein, although I can't figure out why. Casein is used to make melty-stretchy soy cheese. Mac n cheese is saucy, not melty-stretchy. Huh ...

'saucy' and 'melty-stretchy' are of course terms used in advanced culinary science :)

I meant this one. smiley.gif42577b61-73c9-ff17.jpg
#7 Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I meant this one.

I didn't know that even existed!

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 AM
gherkin

that looks nice.lick.gif

#9 Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

that looks nice.lick.gif
It is good, but I haven't had dairy cheese in years, so I'm not sure how authentic it is. They use daiya cheddar in this Amys's one, and I like to toast some breadcrumbs on top. smiley.gif
#10 Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM

The Amy's one tastes like Stouffer's mac & cheese. It's good...but not healthy at all. Although I'm guessing if you're eating mac & cheese, it isn't for health reasons. ;)

#11 Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari View Post

The Amy's one tastes like Stouffer's mac & cheese. It's good...but not healthy at all. Although I'm guessing if you're eating mac & cheese, it isn't for health reasons. wink3.gif

grin.gif Here's the data from Amy's site: Ingredients : No Trans Fat/No Added MSG/No Preservatives (Vegan) Organic rice pasta (organic rice flour, water), filtered water, DaiyaTM Vegan Cheddar-Style Cheeze (filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flour, expeller pressed high oleic safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavors, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid, annatto), organic expeller pressed safflower and/or sunflower oil, organic sweet rice flour, sea salt, nutritional yeast, mustard powder.
Nutritional Facts Serving Size: 1 Servings Per Container: 1 Serving Weight: 1 Product UPC: 042272000432

Calories: 520 Calories from Fat: 190 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 740mg Carbohydrates: 72g Fiber: 3g Sugars: 0g Protein: 8g Organic: 77% Vitamin A: 0% • Vitamin C: 0% Calcium: 6% • Iron: 6%

#12 Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
#13 Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 AM

I make my own cheesy sauce that's great over pasta, or veggies, or even would probably make a nice pizza sauce. I don't really measure it exactly, but here is the approximate recipe:

1/4c raw cashews/sunflower seeds
1c cauliflower
1 medium carrot
1/2 small onion
2 large cloves garlic
1/4c nutritional yeast
1T miso paste
1t spicy mustard
salt, pepper

Soak cashews/seeds overnight and drain.
Steam cauliflower and carrots until tender. Save leftover water.
Sautee onions and garlic until golden.
Blend cashews/seeds with vegetables, nutritional yeast, miso and mustard until smooth, adding enough of the leftover water to equal about 2 cups of sauce
Salt and pepper to taste.

#14 Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll check some of these out. I've had the Amys' before and I didn't care for it. :( I didn't like the Mac and Chreese either but I had a different kind from the picture you posted. 

I hate baked Mac and Cheese so I'm trying to find something that tastes like kraft or like the el cheapo 30 cent boxes from Wal-Mart haha. Maybe I can modify some of the recipes to suite this. 

Thanks again for all your help!

~ Kei Graves ~

#15 Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Zelda Freak

On Pinterest I saw an interesting option - this homemade mac n cheese, but it looks super a lot like kraft or amy's http://peacebypastries.blogspot.com/2010/03/off-kids-menu.html

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards: FacebookTwitter + Pinterest
* Find me: Twitter + Facebook + Pinterest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page