Can you store salad greens out of the fridge? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Beginner

There is ZERO room in the fridge. However I feel like having a salad tomorrow. What to do!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Beginner

do you have a cooler bag into which you can put an ice pack? Or is it cool outside at night?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#3 Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

do you have a cooler bag into which you can put an ice pack? Or is it cool outside at night?

I was thinking of doing that and then replacing th cooler pack when ever I was at home twice a day. Do you think that would work? How cool does the environment have to be anyway?
#4 Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Beginner

Is there anything already in the fridge that you can leave out for a day in order to make room for the salad greens? Apples and oranges, for example, can be left out temporarily.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Is there anything already in the fridge that you can leave out for a day in order to make room for the salad greens? Apples and oranges, for example, can be left out temporarily.

^This. Salad greens tend to wilt and go bad rather quickly when not properly stored.
#6 Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Beginner

What everyone else said, also our fridge is FULL of sauces and beer.  They can all be pulled out.  Salsas too.  Even butter I think, as long as it's covered.

#7 Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Beginner

Nah, butter will get too soft if it sits out. It should be kept cold, because it can get rancid otherwise.

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Nah, butter will get too soft if it sits out. It should be kept cold, because it can get rancid otherwise.

I always keep my butter out on the counter...while it does stay soft in the summer months, it's not overly mushy.  Just about perfect for when it's time to make cookies. :)

As far as going rancid, I've never had any problems with mine ever going bad.

#9 Old 05-26-2012, 03:43 AM
Beginner

USDA has food safety info on its site.  It's my go-to for those types of questions.

Beanitarian.
#10 Old 05-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

I always keep my butter out on the counter...while it does stay soft in the summer months, it's not overly mushy.  Just about perfect for when it's time to make cookies. :)

As far as going rancid, I've never had any problems with mine ever going bad.

My family has always done the same to make it easier to spread on breads and toast.

#11 Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Beginner

If you're forced to leave salad veg. out of the fridge and it ends up wilting, it is often possible to refresh by putting it in iced water for an hour or so.

In fact I'll also refresh roots and greens that have gone a bit sad by leaving them in a bowl of (non-iced) water overnight (I add a couple tbsp of vinegar to slightly acidulate the water to ensure everything stays good).

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#12 Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Beginner

Salad greens are still living plants. Just treat them as you would cut flowers. Slice off a thin slice of whatever stem is left so the capillaries are clear of the scab that grows over, and put in a dish of water. Place in the sun. Salad greens and stalks like broccoli stay fresh and green on a counter for a few days.

#13 Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

Salad greens are still living plants. Just treat them as you would cut flowers. Slice off a thin slice of whatever stem is left so the capillaries are clear of the scab that grows over, and put in a dish of water. Place in the sun. Salad greens and stalks like broccoli stay fresh and green on a counter for a few days.

Yeah, good point. I actually keep a celery jar for that where my celery can stay fresh for ages, it actually grows little new roots if not eaten quickly. You can get similar jars for spring onions, not that you really need a special jar of course. I think it's quite an old fashioned way of keeping salad fresh, certainly predating fridges.

Important to keep the water refreshed daily though, or it'll quickly go stale and then eewy.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#14 Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

deleted
#15 Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

Yeah I always leave my greens out for a day before eating them, mostly because I don't like eating ice cold salad. Things like cabbage used to be stored in root cellars without refrigeration before the days of electricity. Leaving the outer leaves to wilt protects the interiors of the heads if they are stored without being refrigerated.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#16 Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

yes.gif
When I was growing up, we always left the butter (or margarine, whichever we had) that currently in-use out on the counter. Even in super-hot Kansas summers, it never or rarely went bad. I even have a nifty little gadget called a butter bell that I used to keep butter out on the counter. I don't currently use it, as Husband and I eat a lot less Earth Balance than we used to eat butter.

My apologies to the OP about getting off topic here...but I am glad to hear that I'm not the only person who does this.  I didn't think surely that I was but it's always good to hear from others that store their butter the same way. ^^^^ 

Back to the OP's question though...there are lot of condiments that can be left out of the fridge: ketchup, mustard, vinegars & whatnot if that would free up space for your salad fixings?  Plus lots of other veggies that really don't need to be stored in the fridge: tomatoes, lemons/limes, peaches/nectarines, avocados, etc.  Okay well I guess most of those are considered 'fruits' as opposed to veggies.grin.gif

#17 Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Beginner

The other day I got a bundle of wilty bok choy. I put it on the counter in a bowl of water, and today it is crisp and ready for stir fry. Even if I use just part of it, the remaining part will still be useable for a while in water.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page