GMO Tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Beginner

So I often see statements such as "It may be difficult to find non-GMO tofu...", but Ive been on the lookout for tofu that I can confirm uses Gm soybean and am coming up empty handed. It seems the vast majority of tofu on the US market in non-GMO whether organic or not.
So are there any tofu brands you know of that use Gm soy that you know of?

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Beginner

If soy is organic is it automatically non-GM?

Most of the soy products I buy say that they're organic, and some specifically say non-GM.

I have been under the impression that the soy products that are sold as predominantly soy products (not fillers, like in hamburger) to the health food/veg market are non-GM.

But I think GM corn must be in lots of products.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#3 Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

If soy is organic is it automatically non-GM?

Yes.

To SkepticalVegan if you want GMO tofu you can always buy some GMO soybeans and make some yourself. Personally I think most peeps who eat vegan/tofu probably want non-GMO soy used in it and will choose those options when available if they are unsure about non marked tofu. My guess if it doesn't say organic or non-GMO it's probably safe to assume that GMO soybeans were used to make it.
Purp likes this.
#4 Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Beginner

Yeah i figured most tofu made for the american and Euro market is non-GMO for the selling point though i though there might be some Chinese tofu companies making cheap tofu for the mass market that would care about sourcing non-GMO...though such a company might be harder to get the info from

Quote:
To SkepticalVegan if you want GMO tofu you can always buy some GMO soybeans and make some yourself.

Ive had that idea in my head...GMO or not, its a cool project to make ur own tofu

#5 Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

Ive had that idea in my head...GMO or not, its a cool project to make ur own tofu

I'm actually going to try my 1st batch next weekend. I bought a little do it yourself kit (to basically learn how to do it), doesn't look difficult but if it turns out I'll probably whip out a better press... gives me an excuse to play with my power tools.
#6 Old 05-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Beginner

I've only ever bought two brands of tofu... Nasoya (which is organic)... and House Foods (which is not)... both say that they are non-GMO. Given my druthers though I'd probably err on the side of organic rather than non-gmo because pesticides scare me more than genetic finagling.
#7 Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Beginner

GMO tofu seems to be an elusive beast. You might find some at an Asian grocery. It would be difficult to confirm, though, if you can't read the label.
#8 Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I'm actually going to try my 1st batch next weekend. I bought a little do it yourself kit (to basically learn how to do it), doesn't look difficult but if it turns out I'll probably whip out a better press... gives me an excuse to play with my power tools.

My boyfriend is a mechanical engineer. I showed him a few store-bought tofu presses a while back and he said he would have no problem creating a much more hardcore version out of scrap metal. haha.
#9 Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I've only ever bought two brands of tofu... Nasoya (which is organic)... and House Foods (which is not)... both say that they are non-GMO. Given my druthers though I'd probably err on the side of organic rather than non-gmo because pesticides scare me more than genetic finagling.

I mostly buy House Foods organic-which is also non GMO.
They do have non organic, and others which aren't labeled as either, but they most surely do have organic, non gmo.
I've seen different brands in Asian markets which aren't labeled as non gmo.

I'm liking House brand now because they're marketing tofu towards kids, both with Kung Fu Panda, and another kid movie.
The coupons I can only use at a regular grocery, which make it the same price as the Asian market!~
#10 Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

So I often see statements such as "It may be difficult to find non-GMO tofu...", but Ive been on the lookout for tofu that I can confirm uses Gm soybean and am coming up empty handed. It seems the vast majority of tofu on the US market in non-GMO whether organic or not.

The statements you read may be a few years old. I remember a couple years ago, there seemed to be a push for most soy-based products to be non-GMO. Specifically, Nasoya and Silk made statements that their products were all non-GMO and had been for years, even though they weren't advertising them as such.
#11 Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:

You would be safe to assume GMO, unless told otherwise (since all non-organic soy beans in the US can be expected to be GMO).

If you DO NOT want your tofu to have herbicide-resistant insecticidal bacteria genes, look for brands that are explicit about being GM-free (like Nasoya), or just go for organic.

#12 Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

GMO tofu seems to be an elusive beast. You might find some at an Asian grocery. It would be difficult to confirm, though, if you can't read the label.

It is safe to assume that US-made "conventional" tofu is GMO.

[All non-organic soy beans in the US can be expected to have Genetic Modifications (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=290, for USDA data see http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/adoption-of-genetically-engineered-crops-in-the-us.aspx#.UVw3XJPvt8E ), and tofu, of course, is made out of soy beans.]

If you DON'T want your tofu to have bacteria genes, go for organic.

#13 Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Beginner

That's the problem, you are all assuming. I've actually been trying to confirm. I've called manufactures of conventional tofu and have yet to find a single brand that IS gmo.

The problem w/ claiming that its safe to assume non-organic soy is gmo is that citing the fact that the majority of soy grown is gmo ignores that most of that goes for animal feed. The ratio of gmo to nongmo of soy grown for human consumption is likely different that the overall ratio of 97% gmo to 3% non-gmo for all soy.

I'm not asking because I want to avoid gmo tofu. I'm asking people to actually provide an actual examples of tofu made from gmo soy. People keep saying that it exists, and that we must be vigilant to avoid it. Yet when other vegans are asked which brand of tofu is gmo I can't get a straight answer, just assertions that I should assume.
After looking at dozens of brands, including conventional (non-organic)brands, I have yet to find a single tofu made from gm soy. I'm sure there has to be some out there, but if so they are rare indeed on the US market.

#14 Old 09-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theartofrain View Post

It is safe to assume that US-made "conventional" tofu is GMO.

[All non-organic soy beans in the US can be expected to have Genetic Modifications (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=290, for USDA data see http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/adoption-of-genetically-engineered-crops-in-the-us.aspx#.UVw3XJPvt8E ), and tofu, of course, is made out of soy beans.]

If you DON'T want your tofu to have bacteria genes, go for organic.

All tofu has bacteria genes in or on it.

#15 Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

That's the problem, you are all assuming. I've actually been trying to confirm. I've called manufactures of conventional tofu and have yet to find a single brand that IS gmo.

The problem w/ claiming that its safe to assume non-organic soy is gmo is that citing the fact that the majority of soy grown is gmo ignores that most of that goes for animal feed. The ratio of gmo to nongmo of soy grown for human consumption is likely different that the overall ratio of 97% gmo to 3% non-gmo for all soy.

I'm not asking because I want to avoid gmo tofu. I'm asking people to actually provide an actual examples of tofu made from gmo soy. People keep saying that it exists, and that we must be vigilant to avoid it. Yet when other vegans are asked which brand of tofu is gmo I can't get a straight answer, just assertions that I should assume.
After looking at dozens of brands, including conventional (non-organic)brands, I have yet to find a single tofu made from gm soy. I'm sure there has to be some out there, but if so they are rare indeed on the US market.

Um... if you haven't noticed by now, there are TONS of unfounded rumors within the vegan community.

Here are a couple of them:

- all refined sugar is nonvegan (actually, only sugar that's refined thorugh bonechar is technically not vegan, but sugar can be refined in other ways)

- Red 40 is made from insects (nope, it's not. you're thinking of carmine)

My personal pet peeve is the pronunciation of Daiya. The company TELLS you how it's supposed to be pronounced (DAY-ah) but the "vegan police" will insist that anyone who says it that way is wrong and they'll go around saying DIE-Ya!

#16 Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

My personal pet peeve is the pronunciation of Daiya. The company TELLS you how it's supposed to be pronounced (DAY-ah) but the "vegan police" will insist that anyone who says it that way is wrong and they'll go around saying DIE-Ya!

Who are these "vegan police?"  I've never met anyone who insisted on a pronunciation of Daiya or implied that someone wasn't vegan enough if they pronounced it wrong.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Tags
Nasoya-Non-GMO-Tofu , Fantastic-World-Foods-Tofu-Scrambler , Amys-Tofu-Scramble

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page