what spices go well with rice? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2012, 06:11 PM

I want to flavour my rice. What flavours would make them awsome? Im already using chili powder in the lentils going on the rice so don't really want to use that as it may be a bit samey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 PM

I always put garlic salt and turmeric in the water with a little bit of vegan margarine. It makes it taste a lot like chicken broth.
#3 Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Or, if you want to put some sauce on plain rice, I like a mix of a little soy sauce, fresh garlic, ginger, and peanut sauce. I usually water it down a touch otherwise it's too salty.

#4 Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Basil. But then again, what doesn't basil make better?

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#5 Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned

deleted

#6 Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

"chili powder already" narrows it down. I would add turmeric, cumin, garlic and onion and a dash paprika, and a little dried cilantro (the dried stuff is very weak; won't make it tastes like there's still dish washing liquid on your plate like a bunch of fresh cilantro will)

Sometime my wife gets saffron for free 'cause a friend of her father sells the stuff. Anyway, I like that with rice, but not really with any other spice, except maybe onion.
#7 Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Basil. But then again, what doesn't basil make better?

Basil at his best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0
#8 Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Banned

Anyway ..

'Star Anese' is good in rice that is to be served with chinese food.

Roasted then crushed coriander seeds work well in rice that is to be served with Indian style curry.
#9 Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Banned

My favourite rice is:

Heat some oil in a frying pan. When it's hot add cumin seeds (1 tsp) and black mustard seeds (1 tsp). When the cumin seeds become fragrant and the mustard seeds finish popping, add a pinch of hing/asafoetida (optional as it can be hard to find), and 5-6 curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds then add cooked rice, a tsp of turmeric and salt to taste.

As this rice is tasty but not chilli-hot, it goes well with a spicey wet dish like dal or curry.
#10 Old 05-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Beginner

Not a spice but I love my rice with margarine and nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is great on other carbs too like pasta.
#11 Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM

I'm not a fan of cumin. I put it on the rice to see what it tasted like on that but i ended up throwing it away. The lemon pepper thing was gold pure gold, thanks for that advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page