Guys Hellllp! Craving different food. - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 AM
Beginner

I have been a vegetarian for about 1 1/2 year. I try and avoid eggs and milk as often as possible, but people dont just make vegan cake on a regular basis lol.
I am the only person in my house that isnt an omni. I have eaten so much morning star in the past 1 1/2 year its insane . I recently went somewhere else that has Tofurky products. That was such a blessing. Thats pretty much all I eat though. Im not a cook, at all. I have looked for different recipes, but I dont even know what half of the ingredients actually are. Im on a little bit of a budget too.
Im just craving something more filling. Im not gonna go back to eating meat regardless, because well its not just "Meat, the dish" to me anymore. Im just so burnt out on Morning star and tofurky deli slice/sausages.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Beginner

Hello and welcome.

I can assure you that nobody is a born cook and you have to start somewhere. Why don't you just ask what substitutes you need on this forum ?

You'll get lots of helpful replies.
#3 Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Banned

Beans, rice, plus 2-3 veggies. Can't get any easier than that. U will save $ too, Morningstar and tofurkey are pretty expensive to be eating everyday....
#4 Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Beginner

Half a can refried beans, 1 cup corn chips. Finely crush the chips, mix em up with the beans, shape into patties. Bake or fry in a tiny bit of oil till crispy on both sides. There you have it- a cheap burger. You can also use it to make tacos by crumbling instead.Add a small can of well drained corn if you want. Cook up a batch of lentils.I use them for a meat sub quite a bit. Are you a fan of tofu? There are tons of ways to use it and it's very inexpensive. I can direct you to some web sites that can give you some ideas as well if you like.
#5 Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Beginner

I'm not a naturally-gifted cook, either. I've burned Easy Mac (prior to going vegan) and melted noodles.

My favorite quick fix is taco chili. All you need is a can of black beans, a can of kidney beans, a can of diced tomatoes, and two packages of taco seasoning. Throw it all in a pot, add a half cup of water, and bring to a boil while stirring occasionally.

All in all, I get everything from the corner store for less than $5 and it will last me two days.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#6 Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Find 5 recipes that you like. Just start with 5 and keep making them over and over and you'll learn to cook those well. Then, when you've got those 5 under control, look for another recipe and add that to your repertoire. Keep doing that and eventually you'll be a cook. Here are some super easy vegan suggestions. These are so easy that I don't even really consider them "recipes."

1. Boil some spaghetti, drain, throw some cannellini or other beans on top, add some tomato sauce from a jar.
2. Buy a can of chickpeas and a jar of vegenaise. Mash up the chickpeas, add some vegenaise, a little bit of salt and pepper, and put it on bread with lettuce and tomato for a sandwich that is kind of like a tuna sandwich.
3. Salads! Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and any other kind of veggies or bean that you like.
4. Get a baking potato, poke it a few times with a fork, wrap it in tin foil and put it in the oven for an 1-1.5 hours until it's soft when you stick a fork in it. Pour some vegetarian chili, or canned beans, or jarred salsa over the top.
5. Buy some falafel, add them to the top of a salad or make a wrap sandwich out of them.
#7 Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Whenever I'm looking for new food ideas I love looking through this thread, pages and pages of interesting things other people are eating to inspire you: http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...rrently-eating

And I agree with what others have said about cooking, everybody starts somewhere and nobody knows what they're doing at first. It just takes a little practice. Find a simple recipe that looks tasty and start from there

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Beginner

All of these replies have been fantastic! Thanks to everyone for all of the easy recipes!

I just thought I'd throw out another option...think of which meals you really love...is it chili? Or maybe tacos? Some type of pasta? Then just eliminate the meat in those dishes and sub. with beans or veggies...for breakfast there are loads of options if you don't eat eggs:
oatmeal
toast with nut butters
granola bars
smoothies, etc...

And I totally agree with luvourmother...thos faux meats are reeeally expensive to buy on a regular basis. Oh! And defiantely check out the recipe forum as well...loads of great ideas there.

Cooking good food does not have to mean tons of ingredients or lots of money...some of the best meals are the simplest.
#9 Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

All of these replies have been fantastic! Thanks to everyone for all of the easy recipes!

I just thought I'd throw out another option...think of which meals you really love...is it chili? Or maybe tacos? Some type of pasta? Then just eliminate the meat in those dishes and sub. with beans or veggies...for breakfast there are loads of options if you don't eat eggs:
oatmeal
toast with nut butters
granola bars
smoothies, etc...

And I totally agree with luvourmother...thos faux meats are reeeally expensive to buy on a regular basis. Oh! And defiantely check out the recipe forum as well...loads of great ideas there.

Cooking good food does not have to mean tons of ingredients or lots of money...some of the best meals are the simplest.

Ditto ! Beans in a gorgeous mole sauce. Chickpea and sweet potato curry. Frozen berry smoothies. Orange curd tart. Apple crumble.

I could go on forever.........
#10 Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Beginner

Wow! So many amazing replies. Thank you all very much. I'll let you know how Im doing a little bit later on =)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page