reheating rice- safe or not? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 AM

I have heard that reheating rice can be dangerous and bring on food poisoning. Is this just a myth or is their truth that it's not safe to reheat leftover rice? I keep reading different things and I don't know which one to believe.

I also read that if you have extra rice it should immediately go in the fridge/freezer right after cooking. Is this only true with rice and not other foods? I tend to let my leftovers cool down before I pack them in fridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 AM

Yes, it is a fact that you can get serious food poisining from rice.

It should be cooled very quickly and only heated once until it is piping hot. Any leftovers should only be frozen if you wish to keep them for more the 24 hours.
#3 Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 AM

Wow, I am 26 and I honestly have never heard about this before. I just Googled and sure enough, it seems to be a pretty big deal. Very good to know. Thanks for the information.
#4 Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 AM

Well, I'm not dead yet.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 AM

Wow... I have been re-heating rice for more years than I care to admit. I should be dead I guess.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#6 Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM

You have a few handy tips on the following link with the name of the bacteria that can cause poisoning.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-rehe...CategoryID=215
#7 Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

Can reheat one time.

Don't keep rice longer than a day.

Keep in fridge.

Fried rice is usually made w day old rice
#8 Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 AM

Yeah I usually eat leftovers within a day. I' sure I've waited longer before, but I try to stick to the 24hr rule.
#9 Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 AM

Waw, never heard of this either... O.o Wonder what they do with their leftover rice here, in China? If they are extra careful or not, not sure I've notice anything special, so far...
#10 Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

Wow... I have been re-heating rice for more years than I care to admit. I should be dead I guess.

Same here. Never been sick from it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#11 Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 AM

I'm really bad about leaving dinner left-overs on the stove for 3 or 4 hours.
I have rice a lot and I'd never heard this, but I never get sick. I commonly break all the safe rice rules all the time.
#12 Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 AM

The following link explains why the spores are in the rice and how they develop. Apparently there were many cases of food poisoning with rice in the 70's.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...27/2475255.htm
#13 Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 AM

I am going to continue to re-heat and consume rice... even break that 24 hour rule. I can't afford to be throwing out food... since I only cook for ONE most of the time, leftovers are a given. I always refrigerate and have never had an issue and don't think I will now just because I read something on the internet.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#14 Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 AM

Are certain people just not prone to food poisoning?
I break all the rules. It's only recently that I've even made a habit of washing all veggies, and I'm terrible for leaving things on the stove after they've cooled.
Rice can sit longer in the fridge than a day, and just checked for smell and feel.
While everyone I know complains of food poisoning at some time or other, I never seem to suffer.

I'm not dismissing the advice here, actually I'm trying to improve my food habits.
#15 Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM

I also have been heating/reheating, letting rice and other foods stay out of the fridge forever and have never gotten sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

You have a few handy tips on the following link with the name of the bacteria that can cause poisoning.

Quote:

The following link explains why the spores are in the rice and how they develop. Apparently there were many cases of food poisoning with rice in the 70's.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...27/2475255.htm

But have you ever personally known anyone who ever got sick from rice? I am somewhat skeptical since although the internet says its harmful, I have never heard of this happening in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I break all the rules.

I'm usually the same way.
I would assume omnis are more prone to getting food poisoning and people that consume dairy products.
#16 Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I also have been heating/reheating, letting rice and other foods stay out of the fridge forever and have never gotten sick.

But have you ever personally known anyone who ever got sick from rice? I am somewhat skeptical since although the internet says its harmful, I have never heard of this happening in real life.

No, I haven't. However I don't know that many people and they don't always relate their health problems to me.
Nobody has to abide by rules concerning hygiene when cooking at their home but it's better to know how to make healthy food.

This is one rule that I stick too.

Edti : sorry for having messed up the layout !!!!! LOL
#17 Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Thank you for this information. I never in a million years worried about reheating rice! I will be more careful from now on, no way I want this bacteria.
#18 Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:

No, I haven't. However I don't know that many people and they don't always relate their health problems to me.
Nobody has to abide by rules concerning hygiene when cooking at their home but it's better to know how to make healthy food.

This is one rule that I stick too.

Edti : sorry for having messed up the layout !!!!! LOL

It's all so confusing (the rice issue). Guess it is better to be safe than sorry. Just sucks wasting food.
#19 Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Wow, I had no idea. Lifelong rice eater and never gave it a second thought. Good to know how to be more careful in the future.
#20 Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Joe

Quote:

This Wikipedia article has a different take on the problem, saying it has more to do with the rice not being cooked thoroughly in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus
#21 Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Wtf lol i've reheated refrigerated over and over with the same batch of rice, keeping it for a few days and still eating it, never got sick. I got food poisoning from a veggie burger when i didn't expect to, seems i'm more likely to get it from eating out anywhere, i'll still eat the rice, maybe stop for now while i'm pregnant just in case though.
#22 Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM

I've never heard of that either. All the time I'll make a few cups of rice, throw it in the fridge and make small batches of fried rice for 3-4 days after. I haven't gotten sick yet, but I don't want to start now I guess I'll make smaller amounts from now on.
#23 Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM

I've gotten food poisoning a few times in my life and it was miserable, so I play it safe whenever possible. Those of you who think you've never had food poisoning should know that there isn't a "24 hou flu" - most of the time, stomach flu is food poisoning.

For rice I make at home in my pressure cooker or rice cooker, I will keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days if I know it was refrigerated within 1 hour of being made. For leftover take out, my limit is 1 day. Freezing after cooking is an excellent idea.

It's important to note that the reheating isn't the dangerous part - it is eating old rice. In theory heating the rice hot enough might kill some bacteria or inactivate some toxins, but you can't really count on it as you don't know how thoroughly you're heating it. I don't recall if Bacillus cereus or it's toxins are heat stable or not.
#24 Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM

Hmmm... eating leftover rice as we speak. Never heard of this before. I always make enough rice to have leftovers for lunch the next day.
#25 Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Hmmm... eating leftover rice as we speak. Never heard of this before. I always make enough rice to have leftovers for lunch the next day.

Me too; I'm going to just put it in the freezer from now on.
#26 Old 04-22-2012, 02:51 PM

I've broken all of these rules and have never gotten sick or known anyone who has ever gotten sick from rice.
#27 Old 04-22-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I've gotten food poisoning a few times in my life and it was miserable, so I play it safe whenever possible. Those of you who think you've never had food poisoning should know that there isn't a "24 hou flu" - most of the time, stomach flu is food poisoning.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do know this, and yeah, still never had it. I won't be changing my rice habits any time soon.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#28 Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM

Oh geez...I'm not even going to get into how bad I am with regard to this subject. Let's just say I'm really, really lucky! lol

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#29 Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Well, I'm not dead yet.

That about sums it up for me.
#30 Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 PM

I often prepare large rice dishes a week in advance then keep it in my fridge without getting sick.

I mean seriously... it's a grain, not the plague... I've never had a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page