need a replacement for condensed milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM

so my mom and my mother in law have both mentioned my Christmas goodies and how much they want them this year (which means I'll hafta do at least a quad batch, because my mom takes hers to church and shares) - and while going over my recipes, I realized I have quite a few that call for sweetened condensed milk. is there something I can use as a replacement so that some of my friends can eat them as well?

the only thing I can think of is maybe oat milk, because it seems thicker than the other nondairy milks, but it's not as thick as I'd need it to be, so I'm stumped.

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

you can make sweetened condensed milk out of non-dairy milks. mix sugar and milk in a saucepan over the stovetop, stir and simmer until it reduces and thickens, that's it

here is a recipe with amounts: http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/M...ed-Milk-I.html
#3 Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM

oh, wicked. thank you tons

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#4 Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Coconut Milk (like the So Delicious kind in the boxes...not the thai stuff in the cans) could work as well. I find it to be rather thick and sweet on its own.
#5 Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM

basically, I need it to bake and solidify. I hafta pour it onto a graham cracker crust, then add coconut flakes, chocolate chips and chopped nuts on top of it and bake it into a sort of cookie.

the coconut milk could work too... I'll hafta experiment. what's the worst that could happen, it ends up a mushy mess? it'll still taste good, I'm sure. bring new meaning to cookie cereal.

thanks for the help!

#6 Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM

I've made this before and it works pretty well, kind of a bit more caramely tasting than I remember regular condensed milk being.

To make the equivalent of a tin of condensed milk:

1 cup powdered milk - this can be full cream or skim milk
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter

Put all your ingredients into a food processor or blender. Mix slowly at first until everything is combined, then use high speed until everything is smooth.

I just used soy milk powder and vegan margarine. I also find it easier to use fairly warm water, it helps the sugar break down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page