The first time I cooked Tofu! :'( - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 AM

So today was the first time I've cooked Tofu. I haven't been able to get hold of some for a while, because my local supermarkets didn't sell it. However I finally managed to find some and decided to cook a recipie that I found online. It was fried tofu marinated in sweet and sour sauce with sesame seeds sprinkled on them.

So I was reading online before hand that I was supposed to freeze, thaw, drain and press the tofu before cooking it. I did this, and then fried my tofu, poured over the marinade and sprinkled the seeds on.

The outside of the Tofu crisped up nicely (i cut them into cubes), however the inside remained uncooked and soggy - I wanted the inside to be crispy too.

I keep reading online that you should freeze it, whereas others don't. Was it the freezing bit that made it like this? Or do i need to cut it into smaller slices?

Other people were saying that i shouldn't bother freezing it, as that changes the texture. So do I just drain it, press it then fry it?

So my question is... how on earth do I cook tofu so that I can get it all crispy, without the inside being soggy!

"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body." -- Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I have yet to get the inside crispy as well, I don't know why the inside is always soggy. I have the same problem. The soggy is why I hate tofu, it smells and tastes terrible. I've had baked tofu that was really good, my restaurant even serves it in lettuce wraps.

I don't think freezing it is what does it. I would try cutting the pieces up smaller. Or try buying baked tofu and crisp that up. I hope you get some responses that can help you, I would love to know as well.
#3 Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 AM

The last time I fried up tofu if came out pretty well and crisped up nicely. I did freeze mine beforehand but I was very careful to cut the strips nice and small. I also double fried it. Fried it, dipped it back in the batter, fried it again.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#4 Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 AM

I cut mine in half then small strips also. I freeze it and then let it marinade in whatever spices for like an hour. I pan fry it till crispy on one side then flip and the same on the other. I sometimes "blacken" it that was and it is good also.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofu is already "cooked". Was the inside cold? If you want it to be "crispy" all the way through, you're got to make thiiiiin slices. Frankly, tofu is only soybeans and water. It's soggy b/c it's water! Perhaps you'll have better time with falafel....just fried mashed up chickpeas. I say, don't try to turn tofu into something it's not. ^.^ But if you want a way to make tofu actually taste like something, you got to marinate it for a day. Even so, it will have a very delicate taste. OR you can drown it in sauce...but then...again, no point b.c you're just tasting sauce...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page