How to hide beans? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 PM

I really really dislike beans. I always have. Normally I will try food over and over again in new ways, and Im not super picky anymore (I was growing up!) but I just cannot bring myself to like beans. The texture makes me feel like I'm going to gag (sorry if thats tmi).

Im not quite ready to give up on them though. I've had beans hidden in a brownie before, and that was pretty good, but obviously not something I'm going to eat on a regular basis!

So how else can I hide beans? Tonight, I tried them mixed in a really spicy & garlic-y pasta dish, and the yumminess of the rest of the dish almost masked the beans for me, but not quite. I still feel a little queasy, actually.

Anyway ideas? Does anyone else hate beans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Where's my camera?

Hummus.
Bean dips.
Mashed and fried.

Then you don't have to deal with texture.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#3 Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of beans are we talking about? String? Lima? Black? Pinto? Jelly? If you have a hand blender, you can make a crock pot of soup or chili and blend them up with that.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#4 Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Hmm.. maybe chili? Mash them up and mix them in. Or maybe puree them and put them into a soup or stew or mix with mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes/squash/spaghetti sauce/something like that? I love beans so I've never had to think about hiding them in my food, but that's interesting. Is it when they're in their whole form that you don't like? Do fresh ones make you feel the same as canned or dry ones? Do you like chickpeas/garbanzo beans? Because then there's hummus.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#5 Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

pureed bean soups are divine.
#6 Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

pureed bean soups are divine.

I second this motion.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#7 Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Thanks everyone : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

What kind of beans are we talking about? String? Lima? Black? Pinto? Jelly? If you have a hand blender, you can make a crock pot of soup or chili and blend them up with that.

I really really like string/green beans. I can easily stomach fresh beans, in fact I would say green beans are my favourite vegetable! So yummy! I also really like jelly beans, haha. I love hummus! I haven't tried chickpeas/garbanzo in their true form yet, though they are on the menu for this upcoming week, so we'll see how that goes! Hoping it'll be good.

Im not sure about all beans. I know the texture of white beans, black beans, refried beans, bean dips, and baked beans all make me feel kind of sick.

I really like the idea of of pureeing them and hiding them in a soup or stew. I'll have to try that!
#8 Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 AM

im having the same problem. i know i have to eat them but beans like kidney beans, chick peas, baked beans make me gag coz i cant stand the texture!!

i might have to try pureeing them!!
#9 Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 AM

Im glad Im not alone in my texture issues!! I will definitely let you know if I find a good bean recipe that hides the taste!

I definitely recommend black bean brownies if you are looking for something sweet though! The texture is almost is non-existent in them!
#10 Old 11-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySunshine View Post

I haven't tried chickpeas/garbanzo in their true form yet, though they are on the menu for this upcoming week, so we'll see how that goes! Hoping it'll be good.

Im not sure about all beans. I know the texture of white beans, black beans, refried beans, bean dips, and baked beans all make me feel kind of sick.

Ya, you haven't tried that many beans to definitively say you don't like beans...
lots of kinds to try and tons of ways to prepare them.

chickpeas are the base for many recipes, mainly hummus, but you can use other beans like white beans to make hummus too. you HAVE to try chickpeas they are truly amazing.
falafel is made from chickpeas, you would never guess from the fried balls that its mostly just beans and herbs, you can also make falafel with fava beans.

mock tuna chickpea sandwich spread hides the bean texture well: http://militantvegancooking.blogspot...ea-spread.html

have you tried lentils? they are kinda like beans but very tiny so the texture thing may not be an issue, they are great in soups, this salad is delicious too: http://marcussamuelsson.com/recipes/...e-lentil-salad

any bean can be made into a yummy soup, black beans cooked with mexican flavors like cumin, oregano and chili, use a stick blender or regular blender to puree when the beans are cooked to mush.
#11 Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 AM

at the age of 42, I"ve finally gotten over lima bean textures! well, I still don't eat that many, but I do like edamame, and they are basically the same thing texture wise! I think I had adversive training from my mother growing up, to absolutely HATE lima beans. One of my sisters is the same way too.

Totally support the pureed soup and stew suggestions above. Black bean soup, white bean and leek, etc!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#12 Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 AM

Black bean burgers
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=20803.0

Falafel
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8615.0

Blend up some kidney beans and add to spaghetti sauce.
Blend up white beans and add to a creamy salad dressing.
Blended white beans or garbonzo beans can be added to a creamy casserole sauce.
Try a hummus spread for sandwiches.

And remember, beans are good but if you're just looking for a vegan source of protein then look to the whole legume family, not just beans. And look to the products made from those legumes, like soymilk, tofu, etc.
#13 Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Beans are good in the form of patties for burgers. They are also good in Mexican style things burritos and nachoes :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page