Pasta/Pasta Salad Recipes? General Veggie Foods? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Hi,

Well, I am now a full lacto vegetarian! Meat just doesn't appeal to me anymore, so I decided just to go for it.

I have made it through these past 2 days eating no meat or gelatin. For breakfast, I had toast and peanut butter and for lunch I had a cheese sandwich on whole grain bread. At my school, lunch is never good. It was meatloaf and pasta today. I would have had a salad, but I don't like salad (I know!) and there were no veggie options

Anyway, I'm looking for some good, easy pasta dishes/pasta salad recipes. Remember, I'm not even 15 years old, and I'm not the best cook.
So any good pasta dishes or pasta salad recipes that you like? Also any other veggie dishes and foods?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Part of the beauty of pasta is that you can do so many things with it! You can add a little bit of variety by using different shapes, using different sauces (marinara, alfredo, vodka sauce, faux meat bolognese, etc...). I like to add vegetables and beans to pasta, to make it a more balanced meal. Mushrooms, peas, broccoli, and kidney beans are my favorite additions.
#3 Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM

First of all, congratulations and welcome to peaceful eating! Here's a few links to get you started:

http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=151.0
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Perfect-...ad/Detail.aspx

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/pasta...le_Recipes.htm

Pasta is great because it's cheap and very forgiving. My daughter's favorite pasta salad is just shells with Italian dressing, mozzarella shreds, tomatoes and kidney beans. You could add some diced Bocca chicken nuggets as well for a very filling salad. You can also cook up some ziti, stir in some spaghetti sauce and shredded mozzarella, pour into a baking dish and heat through till melted and bubbly and top with with parm. It's very good with garlic bread. If you like soup, you can open a can of vegetarian veggie soup and add about half a cup of pasta sauce and throw in a few cooked macaroni noodles or whatever you have on hand, and some beans. Sprinkle a little cheese on top and there you have it; minestrone!
If you liked tuna or chicken salad before, you can substitute the animal with a can of drained garbanzo beans. Smash them with a fork and add mayo and diced pickles or whatever you ate in tuna or chicken salad. I take this for lunch quite often. It makes a nice sandwich and is good on crackers.

Vegweb, PETA, Choose Veg, and the recipe section here have some easy to assemble recipes as well.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

#4 Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 AM

for pasta salad, I just generally chop up whatever veggies I have on hand - usually peppers, onions, carrots, frozen peas, shredded cabbage, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, etc. toss in your dressing (and beans if you like - at home we'll add black beans or chickpeas, but if we're going to someone's house we won't), and you're good to go.

dunno if you like winter squashes - like acorn or butternut - but my mom used to cut acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds, put some butter in the hollow, and then brown sugar, and roast them for 45 minutes.

if you like chili, you can use pumpkin or butternut squash chunks (or sweet potato chunks) instead of meat. fall's perfect for that too, since squash and pumpkins are so cheap right now.

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#5 Old 10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned

Pasta fagiole is really easy to make. I'm at work so I don't have my recipe on hand, but I'm pretty sure it's basically this:
A pound box of small tubular pasta (ditalini is good, but if you don't have that, use elbow macaroni)
A can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
A small to medium onion, chopped
A couple of cloves of minced garlic
6 tablespoons of olive oil (you can use less if need be)
A 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (including the liquid)
Italian seasoning, salt and pepper

Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and set aside
In a large sauce pan (big enough to cook spaghetti in) heat the olive oil over medium heat; add the onions and garlic and saute about five minutes or so.
Add the tomatoes, spices, salt and pepper and reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes uncovered.
Add drained beans and pasta and heat through.

Just a note: this recipe is less soupy than some tradition pasta fagiole dishes, so if you want more liquid, just add some veggie broth or some more tomatoes.

This dish goes a long way.
If you are eating cheese, you can top it was a bit of parmesan.

This dish will impress your parents, too
#6 Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 PM

PTree, that sounds delicious, and economical as well. Definitely whipping this one up soon!
#7 Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Thanks, sallyomally It really is a nice meal that goes a long way. I made it over the weekend for a family get-together, and there was not a morsel of it left.
#8 Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Chop up some potatoes, boil 20 mins then drain, then allow to cool.
Boil some pasta bows and drain, then allow to cool.
Open a can of chick peas or 3 bean mix, rinse with water, drain, then add to pasta and potatoes.
Make up a dressing using vegan mayo, Italian wine vinegar, basil, salt, pepper, mixed and shaken up. Poor over salad and mix through.

auto correct can kiss my ask

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page