Daiya cheese: I tried to like it :( - Page 2 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

#31 Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM

Daiya mozzarella is a good pizza topping—used sparingly. As a previous poster said, you can't pile it on like you would on a regular pizza. It has to be one topping among many. And the Daiya Swiss slices are excellent on a tempeh reuben. It melts nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to HappyHousewife
You are not alone. My family and I cannot stand the daiya cheese--at all. This sucks because most of the restaurants use this stuff like BusBoys&Poets and WholeFoods. You are not alone!!
#33 Old 07-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I really only use daiya cheddar shreds for grilled cheese, tastes just like American slices to me. love it with a side of sliced pickles
i did not like the slices.

trader joes has a vegan mozzerella that I believe is the same as Galaxy follow your heart (?) Its disgusting other enchiladas, but so good for that! which is fine because tj's is where i get the soy chorizo for them

#34 Old 07-27-2015, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

i caught the show SHark tank and a women was pitching a vegan cheese called 'heidi ho'. It was a cashew based cheese Anyone seen it? the judges loved it
no whey jose likes this.
#35 Old 07-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
i caught the show SHark tank and a women was pitching a vegan cheese called 'heidi ho'. It was a cashew based cheese Anyone seen it? the judges loved it
I saw that! I was so excited for her.
#36 Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Beanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
OT: You've always had that avatar, right? Because I know I've seen it but didn't understand where it came from until about 6 months ago
I think I've been using it for a long time, yes.
danakscully64 likes this.

Beanitarian.
#37 Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I hated Daiya at first, but the longer I went without having real cheese... the more I liked it. I also started with very VERY small amounts of Daiya, and then the taste grew on me. I don't like the Pepperjack, but I love the Mozz on pizza, and the cheddar on just about anything where I used to put cheese.
#38 Old 08-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

i thought daiya was gruesome. it made me angry.

field roast chao is ok, though.
imagineaa likes this.
#39 Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to eat Daiya everyday. I would make awesome pizzas. My problem with it is that it is very processed. I have cut down processed food by about 98% since April so I don't eat it anymore. It was really good tasting, but probably not very healthy.
#40 Old 08-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post
I feel horrible. I don't like the cheddar daiya cheese I got yesterday. I was so excited to try it because of the rave reviews. It's just too greasy and soft, I think. It even makes my stomach upset. I've tried it cold, on my burritos, and I gave it one last shot with a grilled cheese sandwich. That wasn't too bad, but only because the bread blocked some of the flavor. It was $5.69 too! I guess I just need to force myself through the bag. I would hate to waste it, or the money. Is the mozzarella flavor any better?
BTW I love all the other vegan stuff I've tried which includes tofutti ice cream and sour cream, and the cream cheese is good too. I also switched to soy yogurt. I found it at my walmart, how cool is that? and my goal is to try vegan mayo next week. Is Nanonaise(sp??) good? I can get that one at my local store without travelling to whole foods.
Not a Daiya cheese fan, either.

Nasoyanaise is fine, but I love Vegenaise. It tastes way better than "real" mayo ever did.

I have a bit of a problem with the Tofutti Cuties mini ice cream sandwiches. I eat the whole box in one sitting every time.
#41 Old 08-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The best vegan mayo is called "Just Mayo." It's sold at Whole Foods, but my normal grocer in the area has it also. (I'm in a relatively urban area of the USA)
danakscully64 likes this.
#42 Old 08-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Impeach the psychopath

I'm finally trying the Daiya Key Lime Cheezecake. Not bad at all.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#43 Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I'm finally trying the Daiya Key Lime Cheezecake. Not bad at all.
I can't eat those without eating the entire thing in one sitting!
Capstan likes this.
#44 Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
The best vegan mayo is called "Just Mayo." It's sold at Whole Foods, but my normal grocer in the area has it also. (I'm in a relatively urban area of the USA)
Yes!!!! Target has it too!
LedBoots likes this.
#45 Old 08-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Just Mayo is really good, but so is Veganaise- they're both quite different.
I actually liked Veganaisse better in the olive oil kind, but Just Mayo is cheaper so...

And Earth Balance mayo is good, but again, harder to find.

I love Just Mayo for slyly fitting in. I'm hoping people buy without even noticing the lack of egg...then I'll surprise them when they get hooked
#46 Old 08-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I like all three of those vegan mayos. Just Mayo is the thickest and creamiest, I think. And I like the taste of Vegenaise. I buy Earth Balance when I have a choice, though...they have a light version and it's only one Weight Watcher point per serving, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#47 Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'll eat them all, I'm not picky, but I do have a special place in my heart for Just Mayo. It's the closest thing to real mayo out of the vegan options on the market.
LedBoots likes this.
#48 Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 AM

have to agree .. daiya not even on my list @ this point.. i personally think the cheddar tastes like the orange stuff on "Nachos" brand chips . ^shudder^ .. not my fave.
My current "cheese" obsession right now is the "Follow Your Heart" brand. They make sliced, shredded in various flavors and a block style in both American & Provolone that I can't get enough of. I think that the American makes an awesome "60's velvetta" style grilled cheese. Both styles are good cold, but way better melted!
It is a West Coast company, not sure how widely it is available.

"Bunni" Juli
#49 Old 09-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
I do have a special place in my heart for Just Mayo. It's the closest thing to real mayo out of the vegan options on the market.
I just ordered some "Just Mayo" based on comments I've read on this forum. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

As for Daiya...is it sacrilegious to strongly DISLIKE it?! I bought some of the cheddar shreds and really...really...disliked it. Ended up throwing away most of the bag, actually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#50 Old 09-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Happy vegan

I feel like I'm the only one who loves Daiya cheese haha.
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.
#51 Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Tofu View Post
I feel like I'm the only one who loves Daiya cheese haha.
I really like the the cream cheese ...but i bought a bag of shreds and found they went moldy within the same week...
#52 Old 09-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
I just ordered some "Just Mayo" based on comments I've read on this forum. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

As for Daiya...is it sacrilegious to strongly DISLIKE it?! I bought some of the cheddar shreds and really...really...disliked it. Ended up throwing away most of the bag, actually.
Have you tried Just Mayo yet?

Nope, I hate it. I threw my previous bags away. Field Roast Chao all the way!
#53 Old 09-23-2015, 06:37 AM

There are several places here in DC that use Daiya Mozzarella. I'm not a fan of vegan cheese, just I was not a huge fan of regular cheese when I wasnt vegan but the Daiya Mozzarella gets is done on a pizza, I wouldn't use it anywhere else. My two cents.
#54 Old 09-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Beginner

Ive only trued one vegan cheese and it wasnt my fave. I bought my vegan mayo from trader joes before I went vegan. I couldn't taste a difference. And it wasn't expensive either
https://venusvegan.wordpress.com/201...-shower-blues/
#55 Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Daiya havarti wedge is my fave. I don't like their shreds except the pepper jack ones. I haven't tried Follow My Heart yet, it is $$$ at Whole Foods, and the other 2 vegans in the house don't want fake cheese except on a pizza very occasionally.
#56 Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunnalove View Post
I really like the the cream cheese ...but i bought a bag of shreds and found they went moldy within the same week...
Keep it in the freezer and take out what you need.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#57 Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 PM

Why would anybody feel bad for not liking that kind of highly processed food? There is nothing healthy about it. Sure, it is better (especially for the animals) than animal cheese.

But apart from that: No reason to eat it, if you don't like it.
#58 Old 09-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Why would anybody feel bad for not liking that kind of highly processed food? There is nothing healthy about it. Sure, it is better (especially for the animals) than animal cheese.

But apart from that: No reason to eat it, if you don't like it.
For me, it's a matter of not liking something that other vegans/vegetarians swear by. Like, "HUH?! You DON'T like Daiya?! " I don't feel badly about not liking it, it's just the shock factor of knowing that so many people swear by it...yet I find it utterly disgusting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#59 Old 09-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Have you tried Just Mayo yet?
No, not yet. It's still unopened in my fridge, but when I get some bread I'm looking forward to having it with my favorite Tofurky slices, lettuce, and tomato.

Quote:
Nope, I hate it. I threw my previous bags away. Field Roast Chao all the way!
So you're in the "I threw away my Daiya" club along with me.

I'm not familiar with Field Roast products, so I just looked at their site and, wow! I'm definitely going to give them a try. Their 'meat' products, like the roast with stuffing, and their meatloaf, look good, as does their cheese.

#60 Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The roast with stuffing is very good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page