Corned Beef Holiday - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2004, 02:40 AM

Yes, it is almost that time of year. And in the past, I made a Corned beef with cabbage and potatos. This is going to be a huge stumbling block for me, cause I really enjoyed that meal.

Any suggestions on substitutions. I was thinking of just making the potatos and cabbage, with the seasonings that come with the beef, but I am uncertain of the spices used. But I really would love suggestions on the meat substitute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a suggestion on the meat part, but you can make Irish Soda Bread!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 03-03-2004, 03:28 PM

Vegetarian Corned "Beef"

1 batch raw gluten dough for seitan (recipe follows)

2 cups vegetarian chicken broth

8 cups water

1 bay leaf

1 large onion, sliced

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 cup sliced celery

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley

In a large saucepan, bring the water and broth to a boil.

Add the bay leaf, pepper, onion, garlic, celery and parsley.

Return to a boil.

Add uncooked gluten dough to the pot.

Reduce heat to simmer.

Simmer for 2 & 1/2 hours, turning gluten occasionally.

Remove the corned seitan to a platter, and slice thin.

----

Gluten Dough

In a large bowl, mix together:

2 cups vital wheat gluten flour

1 Tbs vegetarian "beef" bouillon powder

1 Tbs nutritional yeast

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp coriander

1/8 tsp pepper

In another bowl, mix:

1 Tbs veg oil

1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master

1 cup water

Pour into flour mixture.

Knead into a ball

(add additional water or flour if needed to get proper consistency).

#4 Old 03-03-2004, 05:28 PM

Worthington makes veggie corned beef. I bought some while i was visiting at home, and didnt eat it, but my omni mom really liked it and ate it all. You might be able to find it, or order it from nomeat.com
#5 Old 03-03-2004, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva-bo-beva View Post

Worthington makes veggie corned beef. I bought some while i was visiting at home, and didnt eat it, but my omni mom really liked it and ate it all. You might be able to find it, or order it from nomeat.com

AAARGHHHH.....i was soooo excited about this---but it contains egg whites

buttt....if ya aren't vegan, HAVE AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!
#6 Old 03-03-2004, 08:19 PM

corned beef and cabbage was one of my favorite meals as well...this thread made my mouth water a little
#7 Old 03-03-2004, 10:23 PM

what a coincidence, my mom just made corned beef and cabbage just a while ago...
#8 Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 AM

I ordered the substitute from the nomeat.com site. I will also add potatos and cabbage... I will let ya know how it turned out
#9 Old 03-04-2004, 01:32 PM

Hi,

I'm new here. I saw that you already ordered the corned beef substitute from nomeat.com. But if you or anyone else decides to make a completely vegan version of it for yourself sometime, here is a recipe that Bryanna Clark Grogan posted on VegSource.com. It looks pretty good.

Seitan "Corned Beef"

By Bryanna Clark Grogan

IDEAS: Try using the prepared roast in your favorite pot roast, sauerbrauten, etc. recipe.

Heres my latest corned beef. Its been a long time since I ate real corned beef, so I hope the flavor is closeits really tasty anyway! I didn't have any luck with the "stringiness", though-- I guess you'd need a special industrial TVP, or something, for that.

This gluten seems very soft when you first mix it, but it firms up just enough when it cools (not rubbery) and slices nicely. I made a much richer cooking broth this time, with more elements, which really helped the flavor. My husband loves it!

You can freeze the broth and re-use itmaybe adding another half a batch or new broth so that its at least 2 quarts. Actually, you can keep this and other seitan cooking broths going as perpetual broths, the way the Chinese do with red cookingjust make sure you freeze the leftover broth in between cooking batches of seitan. Strain off the old seasonings before adding new (the pickling spice, onions, etc.).

BRYANNA'S VEGAN "CORNED BEEF" (SEITAN) (March 4, 2002)

In a dry medium-sized bowl mix together:

DRY MIX:

2 c. pure gluten powder (Vital wheat gluten)

2 T. nutritional yeast flakes

1 tsp. onion powder

1/2 tsp. garlic granules

1/2 tsp. ground white pepper

In a quart measuring beaker whisk together:

WET MIX:

liquid from a 14 oz. (395 ml) can of sliced beets (use beets in a salad or soup)

(or possibly some fresh beet juiceI forgot to measure thismaybe 1/2 a cup?)

2 T. soy sauce

2 T. ketchup

2 T. maple syrup

cold water to make 2 and 1/2 c. total liquid

Pour the Wet Mix into the Dry Mix and mix well, but brifely. Pat the soft mixture down (some liquid may exude on the sidesthats all right). Cover and let rest 60 minutes (no less).

In the meantime, make:

THE COOKING BROTH:

Mix in a large pot and bring to a boil, then keep at a simmer, covered:

7 c. water

1 c. soy sauce

1/2 c. ketchup

1/4 c. maple syrup (this might be a little sweetyou can play with this)

2 large onions, minced, OR 1/2 c. dehydrated onion flakes

1/4 c. balsamic vinegar

4 tsp. salt (this sounds like a lot, but it doesnt make it overly saltyits a lot of broth)

4 cloves garlic, crushed OR 1 tsp. garlic granules

4 tsp. paprika

4 tsp. pickling spice *(see below)

8 whole cloves

Slide the gluten out onto a clean counter and, with a rolling pin, roll the whole mass out, rolling only in one direction to make a flat, but not thin rectangle. Now fold it in half over itself and roll in the same direction to make a flattish roast about 2 thick.

Immediately, carefully pick up the roast and slide it gently into the simmering Cooking Broth.

Simmer gently (do not boil), covered, for 1 and 1/2 hours. Let the roast cool to room temperature in the broth, then remove it from the broth, wrap and refrigerate (or freeze some of it, perhaps), and strain the broth to freeze and re-use.

Slice the corned beef very thinly with a sharp knife to use in sandwiches with mustard.

* PICKLING SPICE 4 cinnamon sticks (each about 3 inches long) 1 piece dried gingerroot (1 inch long) 2 tblsp mustard seeds 2 tsp whole allspice berries 2 tblsp whole black peppercorns 2 tsp whole cloves 2 tsp dill seeds 2 tsp coriander seeds 2 tsp whole mace, crumbled medium fine 8 bay leaves, crumbled medium fine 1 small dried hot red pepper (1 1/2 inches long), chopped or crumbled medium fine, seeds and all Wrap the cinnamon and gingerroot loosely in a piece of cloth and bash them with a hammer until well crumbled. Discard any stringy parts of the ginger, then mix with other ingredients.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page