How does the nutritional value of vegetables change when you puree them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Beginner

Does it change?

Is the fibre still good in them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Beginner

the nutritional value isn't going to change just by pureeing, and the fiber is still in it. Nutritional values will change when you cook them. Usually, you'll lose some, esp if the food is boiled, but lycopene in tomatoes becomes more usable for people.

are you specifically asking based on cooking foods? Boiling is the worst. steaming or eating raw would be the best. I love roasitng veggies in the oven.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#3 Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

the nutritional value isn't going to change just by pureeing, and the fiber is still in it. Nutritional values will change when you cook them. Usually, you'll lose some, esp if the food is boiled, but lycopene in tomatoes becomes more usable for people.

are you specifically asking based on cooking foods? Boiling is the worst. steaming or eating raw would be the best. I love roasitng veggies in the oven.

Thanks. Mostly I boil or steam vegetables. I also reheat in the microwave :S
#4 Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Beginner

lightly cooking in the micro is fine too. Boiling any veg to death isn't going to be very healthy. Obviously, potatoes need to be boiled till cooked though

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
#5 Old 06-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Beginner

Sorry to hijack, but can I ask, if you boil something and then use the water to cook with (ie: to make gravy or stock or whatever) do you still loose more nutritional value than steaming? Just curious really since I steam everything anyway.
#6 Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Beginner

I have to admit, I don't. There was a thread about that very thing recently too. You can recoup the lost vitamins by reusing the liquid.
Actually, the other thread was on reusing bean water now that I think of it....

I rarely boil anything. I usually microwave veggies, or roast them....and now grill....which is divine!

#7 Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Beginner

yea you'll lose a little nutrients in the water if you boil, It's not that substantial though. but steaming is best. I haven't used my bamboo steamer in a while, but gonna bust it out tomorrow to make some dumplings and veggies.
#8 Old 07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Beginner

It really depends specifically which nutrients you are talking about. Yes, the water you boiled them in will come some of the nutrients, but some simply aren't as useable after being cooked, while others are more easily absorbed. Really, if you're getting moderate quantities of all of them in any form, you are unlikely to develop vitamin deficiencies. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sometimes I eat them raw, sometimes I eat stew that's been slow cooked for hours... I'm still alive and well :P

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page