How do you use frozen vegetables in soup? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Beginner

I have never had luck with soup but vegan soups are my favourite foods. Anywho has anyone ever used frozen vegetables in a blended soup before.

I'm thinking 1x bag of frozen mixed vegetables plus vegetable stock plus blender = soup???

Do you think that will even work? I seriously have no idea about cooking but I found $4 on the inside of the lining of my jacket. I have no idea how that happened and to be honest i dont care it will pay for a bag of frozen vegetables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Beginner

I'm not a fan of blended soups.

I DO use frozen veggies in my regular soups regularly.

When making a soup, I usually use fresh veggies, frozen veggies, and dehydrated veggies all together. Once everything has simmered for a while, you can't tell which were fresh and which were frozen.

**TIP: If my frozen veggies have been in the freezer for a while, I'll put them frozen into a bowl, rinse them, soak them, and rinse again, until they are thawed out and the "freezer flavor" has mostly left them.

***TIP2: Soups are a great way to dispose of vegetables that have gotten freezer burn... Just follow the direction above. Before adding them to soup, taste one of the thawed frozen veg things and make sure that it doesn't taste gross... Some things just have to be trashed.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#3 Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I'm not a fan of blended soups.

I DO use frozen veggies in my regular soups regularly.

When making a soup, I usually use fresh veggies, frozen veggies, and dehydrated veggies all together. Once everything has simmered for a while, you can't tell which were fresh and which were frozen.

**TIP: If my frozen veggies have been in the freezer for a while, I'll put them frozen into a bowl, rinse them, soak them, and rinse again, until they are thawed out and the "freezer flavor" has mostly left them.

***TIP2: Soups are a great way to dispose of vegetables that have gotten freezer burn... Just follow the direction above. Before adding them to soup, taste one of the thawed frozen veg things and make sure that it doesn't taste gross... Some things just have to be trashed.

Same here. I also like my soup chunky since I like my veggies in their natural form instead of pureed into a liquid.
#4 Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

I love blended soups, its a great way to disguise veggies and get people to eat ones they think they don't like.

I wouldn't use the mixed veggie bag of frozen veggies, instead use the kind that have one kind of veggies like just broccoli or just carrots or just peas.

A super easy pea soup is to bring some broth to a boil, add spices like bay and garlic, toss in a bag of frozen peas, let that simmer for about 5 min, remove from heat and blend.

For more flavor in soups saute an onion in some oil til it turns brown then add some broth, then toss in a veggie like broccoli or potatoes.
#5 Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Beginner

I probably wouldn't use mixed veggies if you're going to blend the soup, just because it will probably turn out sort of a greenish brown if there are the usual things like broccoli and carrots in there.

But, I'd definitely use frozen veggies in a soup. There is a broccoli potato soup in Veganomicon that would be delicious and easy with frozen broccoli. I've made a corn chowder with frozen corn, made creamier by blending a portion of the broth and corn at the end.
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Beginner

Super easy soup (tried and tested)

1x cup of mixed vegetables
3x cups of water
1x heaped teasspoon of powdered vegetable stock

Put it in a pot. Bring to boil wait 5 mins while it simmers. Then turn off the heat cause the residual heat will continue cooking it as long as the lid stays on. Leave it for about 15 minutes. Blend it up with a food processor. add some black pepper and enjoy.
#7 Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Beginner

Excellent! So I take it you have plugged the fridge or freezer back in?
#8 Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Beginner

Mmmmm....I love blended soups
#9 Old 06-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Excellent! So I take it you have plugged the fridge or freezer back in?

I have yes :-) Didnt last long did it hehe.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page