All I have is spices and lentils and rice :S What combinations would make it taste ok - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM

I dont have any money until I get paied next! Oh no. All I have left in the pantry are red lentils, long grain rice and a heap of different spices in my spice rack. What combinations of spices would help make the lentils and rice taste better?

Oh I also have vegetable stock which im probably going to use on the rice to give it some flavour.

Anywhos does anyone have any ideas with such basic stuff! I cant even afford an onion to add to it oh how sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Wow, not even an onion? That was going to be my first suggestion of what to add. I have made many meals out of fried rice. Fried lentil rice may be good. Do you have oil, garlic salt, soy sauce & ginger?

What do you have on hand? Any curry ingredients? Any other random ingredients you can add? We can be very ingenious with all kinds of random combinations.

A can of black beans could make for a really good meal...
#3 Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM

I dont have soy saurce but I do have oil, garlic salt and ginger. The only curry ingedients I have are the spices. I have them as individual spices and combined as curry powder. I seriously only have my spice rack and the ingredients i suggested above. :S

I seriously need to start growing stuff in my garden.

#4 Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

You can make a red lentil soup...just list all your ingredients you have in Google , search and something will come up .

The rice ... oil in pan , heat , add rice and coat with oil , heat about one minute , then slowly add boiled veggie stock , as it absorbs it , keep adding small amounts of veggie stock (medium heat ) until the rice is cooked
#5 Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 AM

On this website you can put in the ingredients you have and it shows you the recipes that use those ingredients, could see if anything comes up. http://www.supercook.com/
#6 Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 AM

a bit of flour and you could make fritters.

#7 Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd make dal and eat it with rice, something like this: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1892/dal.aspx although there's a load of different recipes depending on what lentils it is you have - search around for one that has spices and lentils you have and no onion (I'd just omit the tomato). That one actually has lemon juice but there's a gazillion different dal recipes so just have a look online/etc I just wanted to show you what I meant.
#8 Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 AM

You should visit your local food pantry.
#9 Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 AM

I just made a modified version of this a few days ago: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Onions-108813

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Put a little bit of oil in the bottom of your pot. Heat your garlic and ginger, and then dissolve cumin, tumeric, and chili powder into the oil. Add your raw lentils, your water/vegetable broth, and a couple of dried red chiles if you have any. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and partially cover. Serve over rice, or add more water/vegetable broth and blend into a soup. You can also add a bit of lemon juice (if you have any in the fridge) to this as well.

"You know I'm a radical."
#11 Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 AM

YES. This is goooood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyface View Post

Put a little bit of oil in the bottom of your pot. Heat your garlic and ginger, and then dissolve cumin, tumeric, and chili powder into the oil. Add your raw lentils, your water/vegetable broth, and a couple of dried red chiles if you have any. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and partially cover. Serve over rice, or add more water/vegetable broth and blend into a soup. You can also add a bit of lemon juice (if you have any in the fridge) to this as well.

I also think you should go to a food bank/pantry.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#12 Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=4936.0

http://www.quickindiancooking.com/20...-with-lentils/

just leave out the onion, if you have onion powder you can get a bit of flavor that way.

have you ever tried looking for free food around you community and city? dumpster diving is a great way to get veggies and fruit. some cities have groups of dumpster divers, maybe you can join some people that already forage.
#13 Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM

I solved the problem!

Lentils cooked so they dont loose their form i.e. arent mushy. Combined with rice that is cooked in vegetable stock. Super easy super cheap tastes ok and probably really healthy especially if you use brown rice. I used basmati cause thats what i had. When I run out of that im gonna use long grain rice cause... thats what i have. When i run out of rice its time to go to the store to buy brown rice! Im also going to get brown/green lentils in the future as they are the only fully formed ones in my local super market and I can sprout them too to create some awsome sprouts i love sprouts and it would be super cheap!!! take that poverty!
#14 Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 PM

I wonder if i can stay alive if all I eat are lentils, rice and sprouted beans, seeds and legumes... hmmm could be good :-)
#15 Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

I wonder if i can stay alive if all I eat are lentils, rice and sprouted beans, seeds and legumes... hmmm could be good :-)

If you supplement it with Johnson's Strong Man Snake Oil Elixir, you will be fine.
#16 Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 AM

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#17 Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

I realize this started with having to eat what you had until next paycheck, but...

I eat mostly these items and this is the cheapest I can find them in my area:
Rolled Oats ($0.89/lb)

Lentils ($1.19/lb)

Chickpeas ($1.39/lb) - slightly more expensive, but amazing for making homemade hummus, which is my favorite dip for veggies and it's amazingly healthy.

Flaxseed ($1.29/lb) - Toss it in a coffee grinder for about 10-20 seconds and it's WAY cheaper than flax seed oil. I use this to make hummus, in many baking recipes as a fat substitute, in my hummus and so on.

Peanuts ($1.39/lb) - Roast them yourself, then grind them into a paste. You DO need a good blender or food processor to do this and it takes a while. Other options are to buy pre-roasted peanuts, which cost about the same, but there's usually added salt or other garbage. You can also just buy natural peanut butter, which is about $2.20/lb, but it doesn't taste as good.

Sesame Seeds ($2.49/lb) - Expensive where I am, but I put these in a coffee grinder and use these instead of buying tahini. I don't bother trying to make it into a paste, because it works fine as a powder when making hummus and is MUCH cheaper.

Grown in a very small garden (I had to be selective):
Basil, parsley, cilantro, greek oregano and rosemary
A few hot peppers (serrano, habenero, cayenne) and sweet 100 cherry tomatoes (I’m trying these out).
You could grow lettuce, but since we have a bunch of deer, rabbits and other critters, so I grow what costs more.

Almond milk: Almond milk costs me between $0.84 per gallon (if as diluted as store bought) to $2.19 per gallon to make. Almond Breeze is $2.69 for 32oz where I live; while it does include a bunch of additives for various vitamins, that is a big part of what you are being charged for. A gallon is 128oz, so if you decide to add a little bit of sugar for taste, you are still looking at less than $0.25 per 32oz if diluted like Almond Breeze.

Soy milk: Even cheaper to make, but it does take more work, unless you have a soy milk machine. I made it for the first time this evening and it turned out great, but I would watch a video on it first so you know what to do. Soy Beans are about $1.09 where I live. I don't have the exact cost calculated for this, but it's much cheaper than almond milk. Save the pulp to make other goodies.

There are some other things I eat, but if you need something long-term cheap, here’s a start.
#18 Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks. I used to eat lots of oats but stopped not sure why i stopped really think ill get some more :-D

I tried growing stuff but found i was way to busy to tend the garden and everything died!

Im looking into sprouting stuff atm as that seems like it could be good. I really really love sprouts. When I had more money i bought them from the super market often. If I can get the sprouting theing down at least ill be able to get something healthy into my diet :-)
#19 Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Banned

I would happily live off rice and dal for lunch and dinner. My partner and I have rice, dal, subji (vegetable 'curry') and chapathis for dinner every day, and I eat the leftovers for lunch.

Kitchari:
Heat oil. Pop mustard and cumin (jeera) seeds. Add 3 tbsp coriander (dhaniya) powder, 2 tsp shredded ginger, 1 tsp turmeric (haldi) , 2 chillis or chilli powder to taste, salt to taste. Add 1 cup lentils, 6 cups water and boil until lentils are beginning to soften. Add 3/4 cup rice. Keep cooking until rice and dal are soft. Nearly all the water should be gone. Add black pepper. If you have it add lemon juice or mango powder (amchoor), then serve.

Or just boil the dal with salt and turmeric, then when it is ready add masala:
Heat oil. Pop seeds. Add chilli powder, fry curry leaves, add hing (asafoetida) if you have it. Add to dal (it will cause a mild explosion if oil is hot enough, so stand back). Add garam masala. Serve. You can make neverending combinations of spices to alter the taste. Serve dal with rice and violá.

Jeera rice:
Cook your rice in advance, make sure it doesn't absorb too much water. It's best if you can leave it in the fridge for a bit so it gets really dry.
Heat oil. Fry 2 tsp cumin seeds until they darken. Add curry leaves. Add the rice, sprinkle with turmeric and salt to taste, stir and fry until rice is heated through.
#20 Old 05-29-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Kitchari:
Heat oil. Pop mustard and cumin (jeera) seeds. Add 3 tbsp coriander (dhaniya) powder, 2 tsp shredded ginger, 1 tsp turmeric (haldi) , 2 chillis or chilli powder to taste, salt to taste. Add 1 cup lentils, 6 cups water and boil until lentils are beginning to soften. Add 3/4 cup rice. Keep cooking until rice and dal are soft. Nearly all the water should be gone. Add black pepper. If you have it add lemon juice or mango powder (amchoor), then serve.

Or just boil the dal with salt and turmeric, then when it is ready add masala:
Heat oil. Pop seeds. Add chilli powder, fry curry leaves, add hing (asafoetida) if you have it. Add to dal (it will cause a mild explosion if oil is hot enough, so stand back). Add garam masala. Serve. You can make neverending combinations of spices to alter the taste. Serve dal with rice and violá.

Jeera rice:
Cook your rice in advance, make sure it doesn't absorb too much water. It's best if you can leave it in the fridge for a bit so it gets really dry.
Heat oil. Fry 2 tsp cumin seeds until they darken. Add curry leaves. Add the rice, sprinkle with turmeric and salt to taste, stir and fry until rice is heated through.

Yes, yes, YES! Can I come live with you and be your nanny when you have babies?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#21 Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Yes, yes, YES! Can I come live with you and be your nanny when you have babies?

YES PLEASE

It'd be like Mary Poppins except even cooler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page