How much complete protein in rice+beans? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Beginner

I have read in various places that black-beans/beans + brown-rice/rice complement the aminoacids (incomplete protein) each contains to give a complete protein.

My question is how many grams of complete protein are contained in a dish composed of 100 grams of black beans + 100 grams of brown rice?

100 grams of black beans have about 24 grams of protein and 100 grams of brown rice about 8 grams of protein, but adding them together doesnt give the amount of complete protein, cause they also contain non-essential aminoacids etc.

It would be nice if someone knew the answer.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

The best website I know of is Nutritional Data. I don't know all the facts, but maybe you can figure them out from their data.

Black beans:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4284/2

Brown rice:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
#3 Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Beginner

Just so you know, you don't have to eat them together to get the complete protein. That myth was debunked awhile ago.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#4 Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned

i don't think you've got any worries at all getting protein unless you're on a diet of pure junk foods.
#5 Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Just so you know, you don't have to eat them together to get the complete protein. That myth was debunked awhile ago.

Yeah i know. I just have to have all aminoacids in my system at the end of the day.
The thing is i have a specific protein goal everday (151g of complete protein) cause i try to do some bodybuilding, and so i need to know where i am at.
For example if i get from rice + beans 10g of protein and i think i have 30g so i add it this way, i will be everyday very far from my protein goal so its hard to gain muscle and its ineffective.
#6 Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

The best website I know of is Nutritional Data. I don't know all the facts, but maybe you can figure them out from their data.

Black beans:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4284/2

Brown rice:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2

Exceptional site man. Just what i needed. It analyses how many miligrams of each aminoacid are contained in 100g of brown rice, so i can calculate a mix of brown rice and beans how many aminoacids contain together and come up with how many grams of complete protein.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page