Active Yogurt Cultures Vegan? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Beginner

Silk Soy Yogurt says it has active yogurt cultures. For example, L-Casei. Is this a form of casein? Are yogurt cultures vegan?

I'm emailing silk to find out, I have a feeling that they are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Beginner

I went to the Silk site and looked at their FAQs. They say:

General Info

Ingredients & Nutrition Facts

Packaging

Processing

Special Dietary Concerns

Silk Soymilk

Silk Cultured Soy

Baked Tofu

Tofu

Tempeh

Seitan

Ask a question

Type your question:

Agave

Are Silk Cultured Soy cups and caps recyclable?

Are Silk products really dairy free?

Are the foil lids on the Silk Cultured Soy safe and recyclable?

Are White Wave products acceptable for people with wheat and gluten allergies?

Are White Wave products Kosher?

Are White Wave products vegan?

Calcium, content

Can you make a sugar-free soymilk or cultured soy yogurt?

Is the packaging for White Wave products recyclable?

Isoflavones

Lactic Acid

Turmeric

Vitamin C

What do vegetarian and vegan mean?

What is Celiac-Sprue? Are White Wave products acceptable for people with Celiac-Sprue?

What is Cultured Soy?

What is dairy allergy? Can I use Silk products if I am dairy allergic?

Where is the expiration date on the Silk Cultured Soy and what does it mean?

Yogurt cultures, Silk Cultured Soy (l. bulgaricus, s. thermophilus, l. acidophilus, b. bifidum, l. casei, l. rhamnosus)

Agave

Agave is a type of cactus or aloe that is native to North America. At one time White Wave used agave sugar as a sweetener for our Silk Cultured Soy yogurt. We could not find a consistent organic source of this sugar that was not cost prohibitive so we switched to naturally milled organic cane evaporated cane juice.

(back to top)

Are Silk Cultured Soy cups and caps recyclable?

Silk Cultured Soy cups and caps are made from Polypropylene (PP), which is classified as a #5 plastic. It is recyclable. Our containers are made with thinner walls while still maintaining the structural integrity of #2 containers. This means the containers use about 25% less plastic, decreasing the overall waste factor of the container. We are aware that in some areas #5 containers are not recyclable. We are in the process of working on this issue. Please inquire and make your request at your recycling center about recycling #5 containers.

Each state and jurisdiction has different recycling rules based on cost-effectiveness, quantities of the plastic in circulation and regional differences. At this point there are no set rules that can encompass all areas. Please encourage your local recyclers to accept the #5 containers and look for products made from recycled plastics.

Many recycling plants accepting the #2 containers only recycle the small-mouthed bottles, not the wide-mouthed cups that are used for yogurts. Small-mouthed bottles and wide mouth cups have different melting points, thus rendering the wide-mouth cups undesirable for recycling altogether. Some plants don't explain this as not to confuse the consumer, so even though they may accept #2 yogurt cups they are not being recycled.

At this point we feel that we are using the most environmentally friendly and cost-effective packaging for our products.

(back to top)

Are Silk products really dairy free?

All Silk products including the Silk Creamer and Silk Cultured Soy are completely dairy free. None of our ingredients are derived from animal products, by-products or derivatives. Our natural flavors do not contain any animal products, including dairy. For information about specific ingredients, go to the ingredients section of the FAQ, or type the ingredient you're looking for in the search box.

(back to top)

Are the foil lids on the Silk Cultured Soy safe and recyclable?

We have begun to use a new aluminum seal on our Silk Cultured Soy yogurts. The new foil lid can be recycled along with aluminum cans. We ensure that there is no aluminum migration to the yogurts. The foil is coated with a proprietary heat sealed coating that is Direct Food Contact Approved by the FDA. Additionally, stringent Quality Control testing measures are in place to ensure zero aluminum migration to the product.

(back to top)

Are White Wave products acceptable for people with wheat and gluten allergies?

Much like those folks with dairy allergies, there are people who have a hypersensitivity to wheat or wheat products, like gluten. There is no wheat, wheat gluten, rye, oats, barley or malt in any of the Silk Soymilk, Silk Cultured Soy yogurts or Silk Soymilk creamers including the natural flavors. Refer to the Gluten-free Products List.

Please review our Gluten-free list to determine which White Wave products are appropriate for you.

For more information, visit the following web site:

Gluten Intolerance Group

(back to top)

Are White Wave products Kosher?

All White Wave products are certified Kosher or Kosher-DE. In general, kosher means that a food is fit for consumption according to Jewish law. Foods are considered Parve if they contain neither meat nor dairy. Kosher DE means that a kosher food has been processed on dairy equipment.

The STAR-K and SCROLL-K symbols on our packaging indicate that our products are either Kosher (Parve) or Kosher DE (Kosher run on Dairy Equipment).

Kosher Products (STAR-K)

Baked Tofu - all flavors

Tofu - all varieties

Tempeh - all flavors

Kosher DE Products (SCROLL-K)

Silk Soymilk - all flavors

Silk Cultured Soy - all flavors

(back to top)

Are White Wave products vegan?

All of our products and flavors are completely vegan except for the Baked Tofu Oriental style which contains honey. There are no animal derivatives in any of the other products or ingredients. The lactic acid and yogurt cultures used in our Silk Cultured Soy come from a vegetable source. The vitamins used in Silk Soymilk are derived from vegetable sources.
#3 Old 02-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Beginner

They claim that all their products are vegan, but please keep us (or me) posted on if they are or not!
#4 Old 02-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Beginner

According to this website:

L. casei are a remarkably adaptive species, and may be isolated from raw and fermented dairy products, fresh and fermented plant products, and the reproductive and intestinal tracts of humans and other animals [...]

Looks like it could go either way. Keep us posted - I always thought this stuff was vegan.
#5 Old 02-23-2004, 05:51 AM
Beginner

I know that with other soy yoghurts, the original "culture" is harvested from the normal dairy stuff.

Then they start "breeding" with the culture and they say that after a couple of batches the culture doesn't have any connection to the dairy anymore.
#6 Old 02-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Beginner

Haven't heard of vegans who believe in bacterial rights.
#7 Old 02-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Beginner

I think she already answered this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k@rm@_girl View Post

I went to the Silk site and looked at their FAQs. They say:

... The lactic acid and yogurt cultures used in our Silk Cultured Soy come from a vegetable source. The vitamins used in Silk Soymilk are derived from vegetable sources.

Vegan.
#8 Old 02-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Beginner

But I wasn't talking about the silk brand.
#9 Old 02-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Beginner

You know, I was wondering about the silk soy culture thing myself. Thanks for answering my unasked question. I LOVE the soy yoggurt and it's the only kind of soy yoggurt (IMHO) that actually tastes good. Even my daughter who is very picky about her yoggurt, and who last time we tried a soy yoggurt took one bite and practically gagged, LOVES the stuff.

Glad to hear it's vegan.

B
#10 Old 02-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by k@rm@_girl View Post

For example, L-Casei. Is this a form of casein? Are yogurt cultures vegan?

L-Casei is the name of a particular type of bacteria. It's name is similar to casein only because it's naturally occuring in milk (well, cow's milk at least). Just thought I'd make that point clear, it does not have to have anything to do with milk.
#11 Old 12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Beginner

I was wondering the same exact question tonight!
#12 Old 10-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Beginner

K@rma Girl, what did you find out? Is L.Casei indeed a derivative of cassein? The Latin would suggest it. My daughter is deathly allergic to the protien Cassein, so I am very interested to find out the answer. If indeed it is there is always Whole soy yogurt co. they do not use that bacterium.
#13 Old 10-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Beginner

Syntax has already answered the question. L. casei is a type of bacteria, nothing to do with casein, and certainly not derived from casein. If you look at the ingredients of most probiotic supplements you'll find listed bacterial cultures such as L. casei, L. bulgaricus, L. acidophilus etc. It should be vegan.
#14 Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Beginner

Even though the *original* source of many of these bacteria can be from animals, I highly doubt that any company would go directly to an animal to obtain and then purify these bacteria over and over again when there are companies that just continually grow these purified bacteria in vats- bacteria which may have come from animals many generations ago. Even if they originally came from plants, since bacteria are potentially "immortal" due to the way they reproduce (continually dividing), there is no way to know that even one derived from a plant didn't at one point live in an animal. I'd bet it's highly unlikely that it didn't.

I think this is a case of asking oneself, what do I hope to accomplish by being vegan, and how does this issue impact that?
#15 Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Beginner

I just wonder what equipment is in White wave that also runs dairy (the Kosher DE certification)?

anyone know?
#16 Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by craylon View Post

K@rma Girl, what did you find out? Is L.Casei indeed a derivative of cassein? The Latin would suggest it. My daughter is deathly allergic to the protien Cassein, so I am very interested to find out the answer. If indeed it is there is always Whole soy yogurt co. they do not use that bacterium.

Well, despite that people claim they are completely unrelated, I have the same allergy to casein, and had a reaction to that "soy" yogurt.
It's also very important to note that there are many strains of l. casei.
I'd err on the safe side and avoid it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_casei
#17 Old 02-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Beginner

Apparently you can make homemade yogurt without buying industrial culture.

http://live2cook.wordpress.com/2008/...ought-culture/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page