Tofu after the expiration date? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#31 Old 05-01-2014, 06:58 AM

hi I was told by a tofu producer, that if it is not an air-tight package or once opened. It's better to change the water everyday to keep it away from going slimy. So I guess that's probably one of the reasons it went wrong....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I always try to use up tofu before its best by date. Once I open it, I use it within two days or so, and I change the water to keep it fresh. You'll definitely know when tofu is off; it has a horrid smell when it's gone bad.

Aristede

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#33 Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM

TOfu before expiration

So do you guys think it is normal for tofu to have some smell, when it is not after expiration?

I had 2 tofus with the same expiration (well, only week from now, but still), and the first was with no smell, the second one smelled a little bad (not like a fish, bananas.. dont know how to tell it). Taste was normal.

I ate only a little. Whart do you think? The texture is normal as wll

#34 Old 10-31-2014, 03:01 AM

Chinese usually eat "Stinky Tofu" which is fermented on purpose. According to the manufacturer of this product, it is OK if tofu produces white hair (though you may not like the smell, then throw it away), but you must discard it if the hair is in other colors, such as green, red or yellow.
#35 Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Thumbs up I like scrambled tofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post
I've purchased tofu with old expiration dates before numerous times because they were marked down. I never had any issues with them being bad. I've always drained, cut, and frozen them though as soon as I get them home.
I just fixed expired tofu, it has been up in the top of the fridge, I made scrambled tofu with it added mushrooms and onions and it tastes just fine, and no nasty odor when cooking, it's plant based, not animal based, so even though there is an expiration date on it, like I've been reading use your judgement on color and smell.
#36 Old 02-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizons View Post
I just fixed expired tofu, it has been up in the top of the fridge, I made scrambled tofu with it added mushrooms and onions and it tastes just fine, and no nasty odor when cooking, it's plant based, not animal based, so even though there is an expiration date on it, like I've been reading use your judgement on color and smell.
I'm curious now-- on top of your fridge means it's aseptic packed- but I have never seen anything other than silken tofu in those, and how could you scramble silken???
#37 Old 02-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I once ate tofu after the expiration date and it had gone soft and sour. I took a few bites and had to throw it away.
#38 Old 02-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

It's not worth the risk of gastrointestinal invaders. Plant- based or no, food can grow harmful bacteria. Throw it out and have a can of beans instead.

Ever smell sour soymilk? Gag
no whey jose likes this.
#39 Old 02-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

I've gotten spoilt tofu that was well within the dates. Trader Joe had a rash of bad ones- not so bad that they puffed up, but you could see the water was discolored, a bit foamy, and the texture was like 'crumbly'-not right. I also tasted a bit, and yes, very soury
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#40 Old 02-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I opened a pouch of Westsoy Tofu recently that had foul-smelling yellow slime coating the tofu. And it was not even expired. Needless to say, I did not eat it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page