VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Tofu after the expiration date? (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/122064-tofu-after-expiration-date.html)

Puting Chen 05-01-2014 05:58 AM

hi I was told by a tofu producer, that if it is not an air-tight package or once opened. It's better to change the water everyday to keep it away from going slimy. So I guess that's probably one of the reasons it went wrong....

Aristede 08-05-2014 05:13 PM

I always try to use up tofu before its best by date. Once I open it, I use it within two days or so, and I change the water to keep it fresh. You'll definitely know when tofu is off; it has a horrid smell when it's gone bad.

Aristede:book:

rowenaa 10-28-2014 10:26 AM

TOfu before expiration

So do you guys think it is normal for tofu to have some smell, when it is not after expiration?

I had 2 tofus with the same expiration (well, only week from now, but still), and the first was with no smell, the second one smelled a little bad (not like a fish, bananas.. dont know how to tell it). Taste was normal.

I ate only a little. Whart do you think? The texture is normal as wll:)

choligeetu 10-31-2014 02:01 AM

Chinese usually eat "Stinky Tofu" which is fermented on purpose. According to the manufacturer of this product, it is OK if tofu produces white hair (though you may not like the smell, then throw it away), but you must discard it if the hair is in other colors, such as green, red or yellow.

NewHorizons 02-13-2016 07:54 AM

I like scrambled tofu

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 (Post 2814014)
I've purchased tofu with old expiration dates before numerous times because they were marked down. I never had any issues with them being bad. I've always drained, cut, and frozen them though as soon as I get them home.

I just fixed expired tofu, it has been up in the top of the fridge, I made scrambled tofu with it added mushrooms and onions and it tastes just fine, and no nasty odor when cooking, it's plant based, not animal based, so even though there is an expiration date on it, like I've been reading use your judgement on color and smell.

silva 02-13-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHorizons (Post 3908961)
I just fixed expired tofu, it has been up in the top of the fridge, I made scrambled tofu with it added mushrooms and onions and it tastes just fine, and no nasty odor when cooking, it's plant based, not animal based, so even though there is an expiration date on it, like I've been reading use your judgement on color and smell.

I'm curious now-- on top of your fridge means it's aseptic packed- but I have never seen anything other than silken tofu in those, and how could you scramble silken???

no whey jose 02-13-2016 01:35 PM

I once ate tofu after the expiration date and it had gone soft and sour. I took a few bites and had to throw it away.

LedBoots 02-13-2016 01:55 PM

It's not worth the risk of gastrointestinal invaders. Plant- based or no, food can grow harmful bacteria. Throw it out and have a can of beans instead.

Ever smell sour soymilk? Gag

silva 02-13-2016 02:14 PM

I've gotten spoilt tofu that was well within the dates. Trader Joe had a rash of bad ones- not so bad that they puffed up, but you could see the water was discolored, a bit foamy, and the texture was like 'crumbly'-not right. I also tasted a bit, and yes, very soury

dormouse 02-13-2016 07:01 PM

I opened a pouch of Westsoy Tofu recently that had foul-smelling yellow slime coating the tofu. And it was not even expired. Needless to say, I did not eat it.