Can soy milk be frozen? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Beginner

Kroger has Silk chocolate mint, pumpkin spice, and egg nog on sale for one dollar. Being the bargain shopper that I am, I'm all giddy about having a ton of this wonderful stuff for smoothies and so forth. Just wondering- would freezing it would affect the texture after it's thawed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Beginner

I wouldn't see why not. Regular creamer can be frozen. make sure you shake well after being thawed!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#3 Old 01-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Beginner

I was actually wondering if it could be frozen as well. So many recipes use unsweetened plain soy milk and I usually only have the regular vanilla on hand. If I buy a carton just to use a cup of milk it just sits in my fridge and goes bad. I think next time I have to buy a carton I'm going to use what I need and freeze the rest in a storage container and see what happens...

Sarah
#4 Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Can I freeze Silk soymilk?

We do not recommend freezing Silk for storage. Although freezing does not affect the safety or nutritional value of the product, frozen-then-thawed Silk is dramatically inferior in texture.

If you must freeze it, I would test with a small amount and see if you like how it comes out when thawed.
#5 Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Beginner

can you store them in the fridge unopened then? How far away are the expiration dates?

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Beginner

I haven't frozen and then thawed, but I have frozen and then eaten frozen soy milk as popsicles. It freezes just fine. I suspect it would thaw out just fine too.
#7 Old 01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
gherkin

I vaguely recall freezing some, and it seemed to thaw badly, with small solid bits floating to the top...I don't think it really works, so would also recommend experimenting.

I store my soya milk without using the fridge. It doesn't seem to need refrigerating, unless it is opened.

#8 Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Beginner

The expiration dates were Jan.27 and Feb 1. I'll probably pick up a couple and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the information. I appreciate your help.
#9 Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Beginner

i think unopened, they will last even longer than that. Soy milk doesn't spoil like cow's milk does, so I think you could still hang on to them longer than the exp dates, then when open, use 'em up!

#10 Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

i think unopened, they will last even longer than that. Soy milk doesn't spoil like cow's milk does, so I think you could still hang on to them longer than the exp dates, then when open, use 'em up!

Good thinking. That's exactly what I will do. Thanks, Jess!
#11 Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Beginner

unopened, they will last several months on the shelf, with no issues.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#12 Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Some soymilk is aseptically packaged and shelf stable. The flavored Silk varieties I've seen have been refrigerated, and must be kept refrigerated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page