What is healthier: brown rice, whole pasta or potatoes? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Beginner

What has the most fibers, vitamines and minderals in of brown rice, whole pasta or potatoes, which is the healthiest choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Beginner

I think it would depend on the kind of pasta you bought, in part. I try to rotate between starches as variety tends to be the healthiest choice overall.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 12-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Beginner

All of those are perfectly healthful foods to eat. Why not mix it up a little? Too much of any one food isn't good, after all.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#4 Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

1 cup cooked brown rice: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2

baked, flesh + skin, med potato: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2770/2

whole wheat spaghetti: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5784/2

they offer similar nutrition.

potatoes give more complete balance of aminos, will make u feel much fuller (i.e. eat less), and give a bit more percents of vitamin (especially vit C). also has less than 1 gram of fat, and low calories (161)

brown rice has 2 grams of fat per serving, packs 5 grams of protein, has 216 calories, offers significant selenium

whole wheat pasta offers the most protein at 7 grams, is low cal (174 g) and low fat (1 g), also significant source of manganese and selenium

if you are trying to decide between which ones to eat more often it kind of depends on you and your nutritional requirements. i agree with everyone else that it is best to eat a variety of all 3, however if for whatever reason you are looking for the best choice out of the 3 i would go with potatoes because they give a bit more in the areas of vitamins and minerals and also help you to feel more full.
#5 Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Beginner

sweet potatoes wins hands down over white potatoes BTW!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#6 Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Oooh yeah. I'm going to try and grow some next year....sweet potato burritos, sweet potato casserole, oven fries, in chili, and oh man, sweet potato pie.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Beginner

All three of the foods you mentioned are quite healthy and each has its own specific antioxidants that are beneficial to health. How much you eat of each is up to you and your own personal fitness and/or weightloss goals. I myself do limit my intake of white starches like potatoes because I am trying to lose weight but that's the only reason I do so. Just aim for variety in your diet and you will do fine. I have found the following website to be quite helpful in structuring my diet. It provides a lot of good information, including pertinent research studies in favor of the foods that they recommend.

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
#8 Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Oooh yeah. I'm going to try and grow some next year....sweet potato burritos, sweet potato casserole, oven fries, in chili, and oh man, sweet potato pie.

ohhhh absoluuuuuuuutlyyyyy~ Ok, there is no doubt about it, I am a sweet potato-aholic!. I love everything you just mentioned and then some! white potatos still have some benefical componants to them too, but again, portion size is key. They shouldn't necessarily be exlcuded from your diet, just try to get the skins in there too, so you get the viatmins and minerals, and fiber!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#9 Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Beginner

It depends on how you prepare it, but just eaten plain, a potato is healthier if you eat the skin and don't put anything on it.
#10 Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Beginner

Another question: If i just leave these three foods out of my diet for good, wont my body miss certain nutrients? Because there loaded with carbs and i think its better to get the nutrients from fruit and veggies instead.
#11 Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Beginner

There are no nutrients that are available only in one particular vegetable. If you don't eat potatoes, you can certainly get those nutrients elsewhere. Our ancestors gathered whatever they could find seasonally and did not have anything near the selection available to us today. Your best bet is simply to eat as colorful a diet as you can. Green, yellow/orange, blue/purple, red, white, you get the idea.
#12 Old 12-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Oryzatarian

One open question about nutrition is the prevalence of the tocotrienols in vegetables.
Tocotrienols are not-yet-officially-recognized vitamins of the vitamin E group. For some time it was confusing as to why dietary vitamin E from whole grains did things like prevent heart disease and cancer while synthetic vitamin E or vitamin E from grain germ (tocopherols) was not reliable in that effect, it turned out that the second half of the vitamin E family (tocotrienols) is found mainly in the outer portions of whole grains. Research about how much tocotrienols are in what foods is ongoing but presently it seems whole grains are the main source for most people. Other known good sources include Horse Chestnuts and Palm Oil, as well as there being loads of delta-tocotrienol in Annatto (main ingredient in the mexican spice Achiote Rojo).
Those with a more sciencey background might want to find a copy of 'Tocotrienols : vitamin E beyond tocopherols' (2009) its cool new stuff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page