VeggieBoards banner

How was your pumpkin pie?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  SomebodyElse 
#1 ·
I am just curious if anyone has a vegan pumpkin pie that tastes just like regular pumpkin pie. I know that's sort of a funny question since obviously something being made with different ingredients than usual most likely will taste different, but I've had many things (cake, ice cream, mock meats etc) that truely do taste the same as the non-vegan versions.

Anyhow I made 2 pumpkin pies from this recipe and I was disapointed in how it turned out. It still tasted good but it definitely did not taste like the other pumpkin pies
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9598

Sooo I'm just wondering if anyone's got a winning recipe?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi!

Pies are one of my favourite things to make in the whole world. I use this recipe, and get compliments from everyone who eats it:

http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/pumpkin-pie.html

In fact, I have been told on several occasions that it is the best pumpkin pie they've ever tasted.

For my crust I use 1/2 earth balance, 1/2 vegetable shortening. Make sure they are *really* cold. I put my mixture in the freezer between every step. The colder, the flakier. I use freshly ground spices in the pumpkin mixture and just a tiny bit of molasses.

ETA: Sorry, I just realized the crust recipe in that link uses hot water. Not cool.
I usually just follow the recipe on the shortening box.

#3 ·
My favorite recipe is one that doesn't use tofu in the ingredients. I've made it the past few years and love it. My omni family can't tell that it's vegan and also love it as well. I think I got the recipe off of vegweb. Here it is:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Blend in blender:

2 cups pumpkin puree (1 can)
1 cup soymilk
3/4 cup brown sugar
3-4 tbsp cornstartch
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp (of each) ginger, nutmeg, salt
1/4 tsp all spice

Pour into crust (I either use a premade graham crust or make my own with EB and vegan graham crackers)
Bake 60 mins
Refridgerate overnight

#4 ·
I think that ^ is the same one I used last year as well. I don't like pumpkin pie, so I'm not sure if it tastes the same, but I got some comments saying that it did, and was yummy.

#6 ·
I found a great recipe that I just tried out, it is a winner! Soy-free vegan Pumpkin Pie:

2 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup plant milk (rice is great)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp mild flavor molasses
2 tbsp arrowroot or tapioca flour
1/2 tsp vanilla x
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cloves

combine all ingredients till mixed smooth. bake at 350 for 60 min.
the pie will puff up in the oven, but it will flatten out when cooled.

This is the most like pumpkin pie with eggs that I have tried so far, the other ones that use cornstarch and no binding agent are too soft and mushy, I like a pumpkin pie to be like a custard almost, thick and can stand up on its own. the almond butter and molasses help to bind everything together and give this pie body, also adds a richness to the pumpkin.
The only thing I noticed about this pie is that it is darker brown and not dark orange like most pumpkin pies, next time Im going to try to add half yams and half pumpkin to see if that helps at all.

#7 ·
I made tarts from a recipe I just invented, so I could taste a tart to see if I did a good job or not, without spoiling a whole pie by slicing into it before presentation. They were the best I've made yet.
I managed to remember to take a picture of the last one before I ate it:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.