Why can't I sub soy or almond milk for instant pudding? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Beginner

My kids wanted pudding, so I got regular instant pudding mix and used vanilla soymilk. It was cold, I wisked for the usual time, let it sit in refridgerator- didn't thicken a bit. I got another package, tried almond milk. This time I even used 3/4 cup instead of a full cup- same thing- total liquid.
Does anyone know why? I've made it with milk before and it was okay (well, as okay as in thickened).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Beginner

I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I've made instant pudding with soy milk before.. Are you sure it's not the cook and serve type? I know I've accidentally picked up the wrong kind, wrong size, etc, because there are so many different brands and flavors at my store.
#3 Old 10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Beginner

I tried it once with no luck. I have no clue as to why it doesn't work.
#4 Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Beginner

Good question! I tried once with almond milk and it didn't work for me either.
#5 Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

what brand of pudding doesn't have gelatin? would luv to know, i used to use instant pudding for a lot of recipes...
#6 Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Beginner

I found Kroger brand chocolate and pistachio. There are possibly more;I should check on that .
#7 Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

what brand of pudding doesn't have gelatin? would luv to know, i used to use instant pudding for a lot of recipes...

I tried JELL-O pistachio pudding.
#8 Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Beginner

I have no idea. My only suggestion would be to try adding a thickener in like arrowroot, agar agar, or corn starch. Or maybe Ener-G egg replacer? I'd mix it first with a bit of water so it'll blend in smoothly. I have no idea if it'd work or how much you'd need to use though.

Have you seen the pudding recipes made with cocoa powder and avocados though? They are freakin delicious!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
#9 Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Yup I've tried it before and it was a disaster. It just doesn't "set" like dairy milk does in instant puddings.
#10 Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Wow, I've never seen any pudding, instant or cooked, that had gelatin. Instant is just cornstarch ,sugar, and flavor. Yes, Jello pudding!
I'm glad to find others had this problem, or I might have bought more, just out of disbelief!
I have made cooked pudding with soymilk, and it came out fine.

I've heard of using avocado and cocoa being good, but I have an intense aversion to avacodos. I try an get over it, but they freak me out!
#11 Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Wow, I've never seen any pudding, instant or cooked, that had gelatin. Instant is just cornstarch ,sugar, and flavor. Yes, Jello pudding!
I'm glad to find others had this problem, or I might have bought more, just out of disbelief!
I have made cooked pudding with soymilk, and it came out fine.

I've heard of using avocado and cocoa being good, but I have an intense aversion to avacodos. I try an get over it, but they freak me out!

Oops.. I was thinking of milk , didn't read the question correctly. I think you're right about the gelatin.
#12 Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Did you keep the milk very cold I mean very cold? I think I tried once with rice milk and it worked why don't you try rice milk.
#13 Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Soy and almond milk are missing milk solids or proteins (read that before, not sure which it is).

Have you tried a vegan recipe online?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Yummy-V...ng/Detail.aspx

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/deser...ganpudding.htm

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...colate-pudding
#14 Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Beginner

Ok, now you've got me craving pudding, which I haven't had in years. So someone mentioned that cooked pudding works with non-dairy milk. Is that like the Jello stuff that you boil? And have you done it with soy milk?

--Fromper
#15 Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Beginner

I've never made instant pudding, but I have used soymilk successfully in the mixes you cook. Also, Silk has an easy and delicious recipe for homemade chocolate pudding, which is what I normally use.
#16 Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Beginner

When I make Jello I use regular milk this is only a few times a year I do that. Its suppose to be a treat so it will not hurt but I have used the alternatives with regular milk because I ran out of milk and the pudding was fine.
#17 Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Beginner

I was just at the store and checked the pudding boxes. There was nothing non-vegan in them, the only difference between instant and cooked seemed to be something before cornstarch, I think it was modified cornstarch. The cooked pudding actually stated it won't thicken with milk alternatives. The instant didn't have that warning.
As Danaskully lists the recipes, I do feel I've made cooked pudding with my own cornstarch and sugar. I can't see why the boxed mix would be different.
I'm going to make chocolate pudding now with soymilk and let you know how it is.
#18 Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Beginner

Here's something better than instant pudding, and it even works with fruit juice (leave out the cocoa and vanilla for fruit flavored pudding/gel):

Microwave chocolate pudding

I haven't tried it with soy or almond milk, but it should work. You do have to babysit it in the microwave a bit, and then refrigerate, so it is a bit more effort than instant pudding.
#19 Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Beginner

Not positive... but I thought it was because there isn't enough fat in milk substitutions (I have a hunch full fat coconut milk, from a can, would set, but it would be coconutty). The packages I've gotten always said not to use substitutions or anything other than full fat milk.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#20 Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

Not positive... but I thought it was because there isn't enough fat in milk substitutions (I have a hunch full fat coconut milk, from a can, would set, but it would be coconutty). The packages I've gotten always said not to use substitutions or anything other than full fat milk.

Hmmm... coconutty sounds pretty good. I have some coconut milk. Think I'll try it out and see what happens.
#21 Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Coconut pudding does sound REALLY good
#22 Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Two cups of cold Mimiccreme, and one small package of Jello Instant Pudding mix, whipped in your mixer at high speed for two minutes, makes such nice thick pudding you don't even need to refrigerate it to get it to thicken up.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#23 Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I had never heard this before. I got curious. According to this link: http://www.helium.com/items/1555201-...with-rice-milk the issue is indeed the fats. A brand I've never seen (My*T*Fine) will only set when calcium is present. I'd guess the fat would also be an issue here too.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#24 Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Beginner

I'm not sure what instant pudding is, the closest thing I can remember seeing is Junket and that has gelatine, but sounds similar in the method.

It is my understanding that corn starch will only thicken after adding heat, like making packet custard.
#25 Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Beginner

i used 2 pkg of inst pud 4tbl arrow root and 3 cups of mocha mix milk the other milks i havent had much luck with
#26 Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Beginner

My sister tried to make pudding with soymilk. It was a non-vegan pudding (she just cant handle a lot of dairy so uses soymilk for cereal etc) so even with the dairy in the recipe it STILL didnt set. that was fun. someone out there doesnt want dairy haters to eat pudding.

I have all the ingredients for that pudding recipe, it is very tempting.....
#27 Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#28 Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Beginner

I like just getting silken tofu, mashing it with cocoa powder and fruit juice, and Bam! Yummy time ensues.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#29 Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I logged on to the Silk website and they say that you must add more thickener.  They also have good recipies for chocolate pudding and rice pudding.

#30 Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Interesting.... I was feeling pessimistic about trying it with almond milk, given most of the reviews I had seen, but had a huge stock of Sugar Free Jello Instant Pudding mixes from when I uses to go through a box or 2 a week, but have since stopped drinking dairy milk. So I figured it wouldn't hurt. I thought maybe I'd proceed with caution and start out using like 2/3 a cup of almond mix with a full box, and it set up great, way thicker than I'd have preferred. So I added a third of a cup more milk, a little closer to ideal, then a quarter cup, and it was perfect! I don't know if I got different results because of my particular brand or just because I toyed around until I found an amount that worked... but it worked!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page