VeggieBoards banner

vegetable shortening

964 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  thenomadicvegan 
#1 ·
im taking cake decorating classes, and just wondered if there was a healthier version to vegtable shortening. i asked about butter (vegan) but teacher says its possible, but it would have to be eaten that day.

#4 ·
Earth Balance makes a non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening. It's the best I've used. Spectrum also makes one, though it's in a tub. Crisco is vegetable shortening and they call themselves trans fat free but still have partially hydrogenated on the label. Crisco is also nasty, however, so I wouldn't recommend it in frosting.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Earth Balance makes a non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening. It's the best I've used. Spectrum also makes one, though it's in a tub. Crisco is vegetable shortening and they call themselves trans fat free but still have partially hydrogenated on the label. Crisco is also nasty, however, so I wouldn't recommend it in frosting.
thanks so much. i will look for those brands. i've been using crisco. and i have to find something better than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.