Fresh vs. Frozen Fruit Smoothies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Is it just for convenience's sake that I so often see "frozen" specified in smoothie recipes? Because I know fresh is usually best. I'm not sure what exactly my fav shops (robeks/julius etc.) do/use but I know I never was crazy about our home smoothies using frozen strawberries and then recently I tried my cousin's quick blend using my fresh strawberries in her sleek mini blender and it was waaaayyyy better (taste/consistency/texture). Now it could partly be her better blender (ours looked like a 50's relic) or better recipe (my mother used too much honey etc.), better ice etc. but I think the main diff. was lack of freezer/ice berry taste. I know we likely froze incorrectly/freezer-burned though.
(lol if I could afford a blender right now I would just experiment and find out myself but I'm kinda semi-homeless right now)

Also does anyone know good piƱa colada recipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2010, 02:49 PM
ami
Beginner

I use both fresh and frozen. I prefer frozen fruit to make smoothies icy and thick. I prefer that to just adding ice cubes. I sometimes add a fresh banana and a handful of fresh spinach. I use a vitamix and that makes them quite smooth.
#3 Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami View Post

I use both fresh and frozen. I prefer frozen fruit to make smoothies icy and thick. I prefer that to just adding ice cubes..

Same here. Adding ice always seems to make my smoothies taste watered down.
#4 Old 10-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Another vote for frozen fruit over ice. If your berries aren't freezer burnt (burned?) they shouldn't make your smoothie taste weird.

And fresh isn't necessarily better when it comes to fruits/veggies. The difference being that frozen produce is frozen shortly after being picked, which can help retain nutrients that would otherwise be lost over time in fresh veggies during transport, etc. Of course with frozen you are sacrificing texture, etc but that's not really an issue with smoothies.

One of my favorite smoothies is simple: one banana, about 6 good-sized frozen strawberries, 1/3 coconut milk, topped up with almond milk.
#5 Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Beginner

I like frozen better because then it's more like a milk shake and I feel more like I've had a meal. Fresh fruit smoothies just seem like a drink to me.
#6 Old 10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Beginner

agree then add some flax oil and chia seeds to round out your smoothie! I like the frozen mixed berries with vanilla soy milk, or frozen strawberries and raspberries with choc milk!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#7 Old 10-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Interesting. I figured it would be something like that (re: the nutrients), of course I am a proponent of growing your own produce, but I know it's not so simple.
Well I'm looking forward to trying again w/ frozen then. It's so funny y'all say frozen makes it less watery. Because I had the total opposite experience. But now that I'm thinking more, I did often like our old (frozen) smoothies better than I'm giving credit. It's just this recent fresh one really blew them out of the water.
#8 Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Same here. Adding ice always seems to make my smoothies taste watered down.

exactly what I was gonna say....but I do use both.

Peace & LOve
#9 Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Beginner

I like to use fresh fruit, but I usually use a mix. Fresh banana and peach, with frozen strawberries and blueberries. Stuff like that. Like a few others said, I like my smoothies to be chilly cold.

--Kate
Life is around you and in you.
#10 Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Beginner

I use fresh banana but frozen berries. The frozen berries give much metter consistency. I love my smoothies. Some mixed frozen berries (raspberry, boysenberry, blueberry usually), about half a banana, and some orange juice makes the best simple smoothie.
#11 Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Beginner

I use frozen fruit for smoothies because I don't need to add ice then, and frozen fruit is often more nutritious than fresh (for the reasons Fyvel stated). Also if you're a single person like me there's less waste from spoilage. I can just take out what I need.
#12 Old 10-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Beginner

I don't like cold stuff so I never use frozen fruits. I actually tend to use fruit kept at room temperature and the only thing usually that goes in that comes from the fridge is greens.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page